1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Short? fuse blowing. suggestions please.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DrinkBeer, Aug 24, 2008.

1. DrinkBeer Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I had a fuse blow once a while back because I pinched the wires under the seat. Wrapped them up, no problems. Went out today and blew 4 fuses. Lucky for me I started packing them after the last problem. I went over the bike, but cannot see any broken connections or anything. Any suggestion of what I could check. I am not that good with electrical stuff, so if you say take it to the dealer, I will, but would like to have some idea of what it could be.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
  2. DrinkBeer Husqvarna
    AA Class

sorry, it is an 07 TE 450.
  3. Baritone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several
    If you can't see any obvious wiring problems the next place I would look is to see if any zip ties are too tight. If so, you may have a broken wire within a bundle...then it's to the old volt meter.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    These types of problems can be easy or tough to find... Once you know what the issue is it always 'seems' simple.

Where are you? I'd be much more useful in person than on a keyboard...
  5. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Same here. Mike Kay helped me when I had a no spark issue. I am in Temecula CA. If that's close, I would be more than willing to help you troubleshoot electrical. I have completely rebuilt the harness in my 2007 TE 450.

-Blake
  6. DrinkBeer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very nice of you all to offer. I am in NJ, so a bit far for a drive over! I have been taking it apart this morning checking for lose wires or splits. Just do not see anything. I might have to take it in. It is strange becuase it does not pop right away, so I think I can rule out the start botton and ignition key. It has to be a split or something that rubs and then blows the fuse. I don't think it would run for while then blow if it was a complete disconnect. I removed the blinkers (when I first got the bike last year), could that cause it to blow? I double checked the wires I rubbed raw last year, but they are still nice and tight.

Jon
  7. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

The blinker would not cause the fuse to blow unless you have the switch activated and the leads are not protected from contacting the frame. You can get a voltmeter and test the resistance of each wire to determine if there is a short in it, but that would mean pulling apart the harness and I am not sure if that is something you feel comfortable doing. It sounds like a short. It will just take some patience by you or the dealer to find it. Is it still under warranty or will you have to come out of pocket for the repair? If you have to pay, they may charge you by the hour and you could end up with a pretty large bill.

-Blake
  8. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    something is shorting to ground, so a thorough going over of the wiring is in order. As mentioned it could be inside a harness and not easily visible. Run it and play around with the wiring to see if you can kill it. Make sure those loose blinker leads are insulated well. There's lots of tight bends over sharp edges on my 610 that required re-routing, not sure about your model.
  9. Hoder Husqvarna
    B Class

Which fuse is blowing? I lost a 15A behind the headlight this weekend and it was caused by a loose fitting headlight plug. The plug had come completely off but I could see blue heat marks from the arcing on one of the headlight prongs. The bike still ran but I had no speedo and no headlight or tail light.
  10. DrinkBeer Husqvarna
    AA Class

main fuse. by battery.
    Jon
  11. RobbieL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    10' TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' SMS630
    I had a customer with an 07' TE 450 euro model (with the keyed ignition) with the same problem, it ended up being the horn had an intermittant short internally in it. the horn has power to it all the time, and is activated by grounding the other terminal. disconnect the horn and give it a try.
  12. DrinkBeer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Solved

So the dealer found an issue with the fan that was blowing the fuse. Now I just have to wait for the fan to come in or make sure I do not let it get too hot. Just thought I would let you all know. Thanks for the help.

Jon
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Thanks Jon, your feedback may easily help the next person. :)
  14. chamber66 Guest

I had this problem on my Berg. The problem was a wire had worn bare behind the headlight where they cross the headstock. Apparently this is a common place for it to happen. Was really difficult to find :(
  15. Squish87 Husqvarna
    A Class

I just fixed a fuse blowing problem. It was my brake light. the fuse would blow if I held the brake and moved the bike. In the tail light assembly the power wire was rupping and eventaully was shorting out and blowing the fuse. I suggest taking some of the farings off so more of the wires are exposed and shake the bike vigoriously while holding the front brake. this is how i found my short