1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Silencer re-packing (2009 WR125)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Scootskipper, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    Hi All, I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. This is my first two stroke and the first bike that had a silencer that could be repacked. My bike came with two complete exhaust systems. I was told when I picked it up that one was more for low and mid-range power and the other would give me more top end. The pipe that is for low/mid was on the bike at delivery. The silencer that was on it is a little longer and very nicely made of stainless. You can only open the outlet end of the silencer. After I had put a good thirty hours or so on the bike and it was getting pretty spooged up I decided to repack the silencer. I bought a kit that had a fiberglass matt that was about an inch thick. When I opened my silencer and removed the internals they were completely different. I was a little perplexed and since I wanted to go ride right away just switched to the other exhaust system. It turned out that the pipw actually rubbed the reservoir on the rear shock and just didn't fit well at all. I ended up changing back to the other pipe and using the silencer that came with the "top end" system. This has worked fine, but with another thirty hours or so on the bike I wanted to do something about it. I was starting to get the dreaded mid-range bog again. I thought it was perhaps because of the cooler weather and that maybe I should move my needle up a notch and let her eat a little more. I repacked the shorter silencer from the "top end" system with the thick matt. It was a quick easy job. I noticed immediately that it was a good bit quieter. However, the bog was awful! I put the needle back in the next to the top notch (lowering it) and most but not all of the bog cleared up. Since my yard is too small to really warm it up properly and let er rip I won't know until tomorrow's ride whether or not I've got it right. I'm thinking that I will simply stuff some of the fiberglass that I have in to the longer "low/mid" silencer and experiment with it when I have time to see if I can tell a difference. I'm curious what others have done.
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I think it takes a while to warm the bike up properly
    Id try to get the longer silencer working - for better low to mid
    smoother power.
    I have tried a short motocross silencer and didnt like it at all
    Id actually like to try the 250 silencer
    as Ive noticed mine is getting noisier already after 35 hrs. Its an annoying noise too.
  3. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    It seems that I will have to pack it differently than the way it came. I suppose that if the density of the packing is similar, it will work fine. I'll post when I get a chance to do it. You are right about taking a while to warm up properly. It's running pretty good now.