SMR511: FMF Powercore + JD box = whole new bike

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Suputin, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, 81 Yamaha RD350LC, 90 RZ350
    Got out for the first time with the new FMF pipe. At first the bike ran like crap because it was set way too lean. Once I richened things up with the settings suggested by Motorsportz the engine changed completely and became a fire breathing beast.

It is still going to take some tweaking but as of now the bike will loft 3rd gear power wheelies without any clutching up. I suspect it could be clutched up in 4th no problem. In first it is nearly impossible to keep the front tire on the ground at anything over half throttle. The bike is impossible to launch in 1st because it just want to wheelie sky high.

With the stock pipe and FI the bike always felt flat and breathless in the top end. It would rev but not really pull any harder. Now the motor revs hard and pulls like hell in the top end.

Considering the $500 total for the pipe and FI box this is excellent performance for the money.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Did you try it with just the JD and not the pipe? Curious as to how much the pipe adds to it.
  3. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, I ran the JD box all last summer with the OEM pipe. It helps a bit with the top end but honestly the OEM pipe is crap on top of being heavy and ugly. The FMF pipe made a huge difference.
    Coffee likes this.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    :cheers:

Feel free to click here and fill in your bike info and whatever else you want to share. Not required but it make things easier when people know what bikes you have
    http://www.cafehusky.com/account/personal-details
  5. micahveli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 smr 511
    2012 smr511...... fmf powercore 4 slip on, jd tuner, 15/40 sprockets

@ wht settings should i set my jd box?
  6. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am still in the process of tuning the JD box but I am finding that with this setup less is more. With the JD setting 2 is essentially "off" in that no extra fuel is being added over the ECU map setting.

Currently I have the idle set at 1 and it is still a wee bit rich. Most of the other settings are in the 3-4 range and are good to slightly rich. I had tried the Motosportz suggested settings and those were way too rich.

FWIW the bike is now a total beast with gobs of power.
  7. Craig 1991 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Where are you guys getting the JD tuner from? Im assuming its the TE 449/511 (10-12) JDHQ04 one.... Is there anywhere to get one in the uk?
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you put a full system on or just a slip on muffler? Did you try race map 3?
    Tinken likes this.
  9. micahveli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 smr 511
    i purchased my jd tuner and tc airbox from halls cycle. i have the slip on pipe/muffler, racemap 2. on the jd tuner im using the preprogrammed settings
  10. Craig 1991 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    ScottyR - Its an Arrow slip on, I wish I could find just the header pipe to go with it though however according to arrow it only makes an extra 0.45ps over just a slip on so probably not worth it...
    micahveli - thanks for quick reply. does it make a huge difference on preprogramed settings?
  11. micahveli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 smr 511
    HUGE improvement.
  12. micahveli Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 smr 511
    im a newbie with this tuner and have no idea how i should tweak the tuner. i running the preprogrammed settings (race exhaust - more free flowing) as of now and i notice popping when i decel. Any settings u can suggest i try?
    Craig 1991 likes this.
  13. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    Lean out the idle/low throttle setting a bit and see if that helps.
  14. Suputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMR 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Running a wideband O2 sensor I discovered the suggested settings were way too rich. The following settings are closer to ideal.

With these leaner numbers the air fuel mixture is still running in the low to mid 13's which is just slightly rich.

Green 3.5
    Yellow 3
    Red 2.5
    G/B 1
    Y/B 2.5
    R/B 2.5
    Craig 1991 likes this.