1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Sold it. My 2006 WR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had been throughing around the idea for a few months. My wife's WR125 started all the trouble. After riding that bike I just could not come to terms with the weight of the WR250...although I enjoyed the motor.

Last weekend I rode with a few faster guys, and really noticed how much the weight and size (height) of the WR250 hindered me in the tighter sections of the trails. I felt like I was wrestling it the whole time.

At that point, I realized I enjoyed riding lighter and smaller bikes.

So, for the rest of the CA Red Sticker season I will be glady ripping around on the WR125.

For the fall I hope to buy a new bike...with as little weight as possible. I will be looking at:
    '10 TC 250
    KTM SX 250
    KTM XC 200/250/300 (minus the starter on the 250/300)
    Or...maybe Husky will come out with a new lighter WR250.

We will see...it should be fun nonetheless.

JS
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yep wrestle that thing up and down off the garage floor a few times changing governor springs and the 125 sure looks goooood. It isn't that it weighs so much more it is just that it is too high. OK it weighs that much more. :lol:

Walt
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ha Ha. It really is a big bike! What we all do for the love of the sport.

JS
  4. OM48 Husqvarna
    B Class

What's the weight on a WR250?
  5. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

A complaint about height I could understand, but weight? I haven't noticed any significant difference in weight from my wr250 to any other 250 2 stroke I've owned. But it's the tallest bike I've ever been on. I'm 6'3", it fits me well.
  6. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think it weighs about 236 lbs...maybe a bit closer to 239lbs.

As I said, it never bothered me either until I rode the WR125. But then again before my WR250 I had a 05 CRF 450, and a CRF 25ox, both of which weigh 250+.

I think after spending some time on the WR125 I realized I enjoyed a lighter bike with less motor vs. a heavier bike with more motor.

I am really taking a long look at a KTM 250 SX...might be the best of both worlds. However, I am not terribly excited about being part of the KTM crowd.

Maybe Walt will make the 167cc kit work for the WR125 and solve my problem?

PS: The WR250 is still one of my favorite bikes. I would love to have one (or 300) for fast/open riding...or even a sand bike.
    JS
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The WR 250 is a great bike. Mine was 249 ready to ride with 2.9 gallons of gas. When riding you don't notice the weight so much but I was comparing it to the 125 and there is a huge difference in picking the two up off the floor. When riding the 125 it just feels like this light weight extension of your body.

Walt

PS, I know, most people don't spend a bunch of time flopping down and picking their bike up off the floor repeatedly.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    If they made them 2 inches lower they would sell a lot more bikes - I was put off buying for that reason ( I am 182cm) . tippy toes touching - maybe I have short legs
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb

hahaha...funny story, my 6'3" roomie came in the garage (CRF450 rider) and he saw my new 125...I told him to huck it up on the stand for me while I got some tools...he almost tossed it over the far side of the stand. :doh:..he was all :eek: sorry!. I was all :thumbsup: neato huh?
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I had a Honda CR250 set up for woods racing with loads of Ti and it ran about 240#, ready to race.

So, I don't think the WR is that bad.

Sure the Hond was light in stock trim, but get the big tank, bark busters, skid plates and such on it for woods racing and it gets heavy, too.

The KTM 250SX is the same way. I know a guy who set one up for racing and it didn't feel so light anymore either.
  11. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

You are absolutely right. As I said I like the WR very much. But had a skid plate, handguards, radiator guards, disc guards, etc. on mine which made it even heavier.

But the Husky is dead reliable...probably has to do with beefed up parts, which makes it heavier. All a trade off.

The trade off I realized I would rather have is a light bike with less motor. However, if Husky was able to fit a new 250/300 in a frame similar to the WR125/TC250...that would be a bike on the top of my list.

Maybe I should just cut to the chase and get a mini-bike....j/k :lol:

Joshua