SOS

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Terramack, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    My Ews light is on. Bike won't start and I'm 400km away from my spare key. I disconnected the battery and still the light is on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I know nothing on this. Maybe a good long disconnect? Removing and inserting key a few times if it is the chip ring? Hope you make home.
  3. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    I tried the key in and out about 30 times. It's parked at a friends until it starts or I will have to get it towed to a dealer .

Thanks
  4. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Is it cranking over on the starter but won't fire? If so, check fuses under the seat. Can you hear the fuel pump cycle when you turn on the key? Try the EFI (F8 & F1) or fuel system (F3) fuses.
    fusebox01.jpg
  5. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    It' doesn't crank. When you turn it on the dash does its start up and everything lights up, then the red ! Light ones on, the dash indicates EWS . The bike is in neutral but the light is not on. It won't crank whatsoever. All fuses check out ok.

Thanks for the info tho.
  6. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Did you check any of the fuses?
    Try pulling in the clutch lever fully if there's an issue with that switch and try rocking the bike to get the neutral light to come on.
  7. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    EWS ring antenna failure plus maybe damaged/destroyed battery. Tell me how I know... Happened to me once on the road... Similar 400 miles from home.

Disconnect the battery and charge it. DONT short-cut it to other battery. Get a new ews ring antenna being sent to you (probably has to be tuned to your bike/key) and have it connected (wires only as mounting screws are automatically damaged when you unscrew them). Put the key inside and try to start.

If it doesnt work - have to tow it to nearest Husky dealer. It doesnt need to be the one you bought it from.
  8. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Are these your experiences with a BMW? I'm not sure whether the Husky's have a removable ring antenna like the BMWs do. The top of the ignition looks a lot different on the Husky (My TR650 is parked next to a 2008 F650GS which has had it's antenna ring replaced once. I had the same EWS issue on my Terra. It'll probably need to be connected to MOSS to determine the error. When I had this fault it was the ECU which reported as being faulty and needed to be replaced. Seems BMW sorted out the antenna issue back in 2009 and it probably hasn't been inherited by the TR650.
  9. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Wait, let's check the obvious first. The first thing you should do is check any aftermarket add-ons that might be affecting the EWS sensor. Lights? Heated gear? Heated grips? Cell phone sitting too close to the ignition?

Eliminate the free fixes first. You may well be suffering from a self-induced problem.

The spare key isn't going to do you any good. The keys don't stop working, only the sensor that reads them. If you have eliminated any electronic device that might be interfering with your sensor, then you need to check for loose connections or battery under voltage.
    Trapperj and mario33 like this.
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I believe you are correct. If you look at the parts diagram, drawing 48, you'll see the ignition switch assembly. It is one complete part. I believe the sensor is built into the switch on the Husky. The ECU is what actually reads the code though. If the sensor were to fail, a new ignition switch would be too easy to swap, and shouldn't require any programming.

Most, not all, anti theft systems can be reset by pulling the fuse for a while. The Anti-Theft is on fuse 6. I'm not sure if this is for the "immobiliser" or for the optional alarm. The ignition is on fuse 3. If you have eliminated anything from the "D'oh!" category, you might want to check those out.
  11. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    The only other possible issue I had yesterday was am overheat light. I was on the highway doing 120 kph( 70 mph ish) and the overheat light came on. Coolant tank is more than half full when cold. The light went back to normal after a minute. I checked the coolant level again cold and it's fine. I will double check everything again tonight and if it still immobilized , I will tow it to the dealer tomorrow . My suspect is the ring antenna has packed it in.
    Im not sure if the dealer can do anything to diagnose the bike as he does not have the Moss tool.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Cheers
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Another idea is to take it to a BMW dealer who has a MOSS tool which has used it on a TR650 before?

Regardless, if this happens to anyone else it might be good to state the location where you are having trouble, so people can better help with doing things like coming to help and to locate dealers that may have and know how to use the MOSS tool.

(I really wish the new Husqvarna owners would make a clear public statement how the TR650s are going to be supported with regards to MOSS)
    mario33 likes this.
  13. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    The location idea is good. I'm in Ontario Canada. The distribution is different than the states. Husky was originally distributed by a independent distributor. They went out of business a year or more ago. BMW canada took over the distribution. All the existing Husky dealers were not BMW dealers. The dealers didn't get their moss tools because of the KTM takeover. I have emailed people at KTM and BMW but won't hear back till Monday.
    I may have to take it to BMW to diagnose. Get a new switch from Husky, and have the BMW dealer reprogram.
    I can't see my dealer buying a Moss tool for the three TR 's that he sold.
    Maybe Coffee, you could start a sticky with names and address of dealers with Moss tool and who can perform warranty and service.

Thanks again
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Maintaining that list would be unmanageable. I tried doing that with Husqvarna dealers years ago and I could never keep up.

My thought was by posting the location people that were familiar with the area could offer suggestions for which dealer has MOSS, and knowledge of the MOSS.
    Trapperj likes this.
  15. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    The overheating light is likely not the source of your problems. I'd be willing to bet you just have an air bubble in your cooling line. With the reservoir cap off, crank up the bike and let it idle to temperature. Once the coolant starts circulating, the air bubbles will work their way out with the coolant cap off. This should only take a minute or two of it idling after the pump kicks on. Then turn off the bike and put the cap back on. Problem solved. Lots of TR owners have had this problem, and it really comes down to proper setup at delivery, not a mechanical problem.
    nev.. and HuskyDude like this.
  16. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra

I could see an air bubble in the first few hundred kilometres, but after1800km? I have not crashed the bike. I would bleed the air if the bike would start. When the EWS light is on, you bike is dead in the water. There is no way to start the bike.
    I will ask the local BMW dealer to put it on their diagnostic tool. If the the ring gear is shot, I will order a new switch and keys.
    I really don't care about warranty, I need this vehicle for work and vacation.

thanks
  17. Tazzierob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 Yamaha XT600
    Just a suggestion, but have you tried taking the bike out of the water before trying to start it? I mean, bikes don't make the best boats, you should get a personal water craft instead :p

Sorry, hope you get it sorted soon
    mag00, HuskyDude, nev.. and 2 others like this.
  18. Kawagumby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310, 2014 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, KDX220, 1987KDX200
    So...is the undecipherable EWS system a ticking time-bomb? I'm starting to have second thoughts about my bike. I ride alone in unpopulated areas -
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think not. A few folks over on ADV have managed to start their bikes with both keys beside the ignition. Under most systems, this would be an indicator that they don't have an EWS, since the RFIDs both transmitting would confuse the computer and cause a no start situation.

- We know that all three manuals say we have it.
    - We know that some owners have affirmatively seen it work.
    - We know that some owners don't appear to have it.

I'm willing to take my chances on a $10 spare key to experiment.
    Lekolite likes this.
  20. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    I made the spare $10 key. No joy. US Terra.
    Coffee likes this.