1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Starter / Case Seal

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Fast1, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wondering if anyone has any experience removing the starter from the cases and could tell me what is utilized for a seal? o-ring?

My 08 TE appears to have a very slight oil leak that is only apparent after higher extended rpm for longer durations, similar to running some pavement at 65 mph for 25 miles and some WOT burts mixed in.

My thought is that I need to replace the o-ring to solve the issue but the parts diagram doesn't show an o-ring or gasket between the starter and case ???
  2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

An O ring. Remove starter,clean w/contact cleaner, also bore for starter,light film of hi temp silicone seal. Just from in front of O ring to the back as to not push sealant it into case. Later George
  3. I dont know about the 08's but my 05 did the same thing, I pulled the starter 3 times trying to fix the leak, I used high temp silicone like George suggested with a slightly larger O-ring the third time before figuring out the leak on mine was actually coming from the bolt threads holding the coolant bottle on (it really looked like the oil was weeping directly under the starter). I pulled one at a time and used a little high temp silicone on the threads and the leak was gone. On my bike, I had oil getting past those threads as well as the water pump threads and the cam chain tensioner threads.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did a 260 mile ride Saturday and took some photos of what I'm finding on top of the engine.

The bike and engine were cleaned prior to the ride.

back of the case by swing arm
    [IMG]

top and front side of starter
    [IMG]

back side of starter and front mount of coolant bottle
    [IMG]

Wondering if the name on the tank should have said Harley Davidson?
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I would not call that a slight oil leak, looks abnormal/bad to me.
  6. Thats just how my bike looked, maybe a little more, I take it its seeping and not really dripping? Do as George says, it will only take 15 minutes and if that doesnt solve it check the coolant bottle threads.
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Am I the only one that rides 250 mile day rides???

It is not dripping but leaking/seeping during operation from vibration. My oil level change on the sight glass after 250 miles is not even negligible.
  8. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm having a similar issue with my '07 TE510. Never noticed it before but now that I'm commuting on it (15 mile each way with a few miles of freeway) I'm getting a wet crankcase just like the pics. Haven't taken the time to take off the starter and coolant bottle to see where it is coming from but I suspect it will be an easy fix this weekend.

BTW, this makes for one heck of a commuter! Fun, decimates traffic jambs and great on gas. Just waiting for the inevitable chat with the police regarding my dirt bike with turn signals.

Fast1, how in the world are you riding this thing for 260 mi in a day? I feel like I have to get the seat surgically removed from by behind after 20 miles??
  9. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wear top quality bicycle shorts under my ride pants which helps significantly. I'm also an avid bicyclist so spending 3 or 4 hours on my road or mountain bike make the TE seem like an easy chair. I will also ride the Husky standing at 60 mph for short durations
    even on the pavement. Sometimes I do it just to see the reaction from those in the autos. Once I had some guy on a Hardly D. come up to me while riding standing and yelled at me saying I was crazy. Laughed at him and cranked a wheelie at 60 mph!

With regard to the oil seep.. I think it is all related to longer distance at a continued high speed that causes it. I need to pull the starter out this week and see if I can eliminate the seep.