Starting a new 2013 tc449

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by n2mytc448, May 4, 2014.

1. n2mytc448 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc 449
    Just picked up a new 2013 tc449. When I start the bike it only wants to run with the choke on and is back firing. Unfortunately I can't open the owners manual on the USB drive as my home computer is running A newer version of windows than the USB works on. Any suggestions?
    Tinken likes this.
  2. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Silly question, does it have fuel?

Try disconnecting the battery for a bit and reconnect.

Also how is the spark/ignition? If you read on here some bikes have issues with coil grounding make sure that it is not broke. Goes from frame to head.
  3. n2mytc448 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc 449
    Good question.... Yes it has fuel, just filled the tank. I'll try the battery disconnect idea. I think I need to adjust the idle. Anyone have an ides how many "clicks" from closed is ideal?

Also I was looking at removing and checking the air filter. Any tricks or suggestions to removing it?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but my last bike was a honda crf450r and this Husky is a different animal!
  4. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Yea it at first is intimidating to work on until you see that as compact and "busy" as the bike is, they thought of a way to remove everything, except the side case bolt to remove the torque limiter apparently!!! One bolt on the bike that is not removeable!
  5. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Did you try cracking the throttle slightly while cranking?

Also do not use the choke. May not be necessary and making it harder to diagnose. It is fuel injected my TE511 does not have a choke, but also needed slight throttle to start and fire up before the power commander.

Try cracking the throttle slightly then hold the rev's up for a minute.

If you get nothing but back firing pull the plug and if its wet then clean it, check for bright blue spark, then put it back in and try again.

Air, fuel, compression, and properly timed ignition/valve openings. All you need to run so verify each as you go. Something simple as the choke is choking off the air part of the equation :)
  6. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449

Ill state the obvious - its a brand new bike. Drop it off to the dealer and tell them to do their job. They get a fee for prepping the bike...call me crazy, but starting it sounds like a great idea!

I am guessing the TPS is out of whack. Regardless, they need to sort it out for you.
  7. n2mytc448 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc 449
    Thanks Bigmo...the dealer I bought it from is about an hour away from me so I wanted to try and make sure I wasn't missing anything simple. I am taking the bike back to the dealer this weekend.
    bigmo likes this.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Put the bike in Hi power mode (button on the handlebars). Turn (not pull) the choke knob out, yes it rotates. Set idle up higher. Break the engine in slowly, replace the oil at 30/100/300 miles. Use M1 0W40 or equiv.
  9. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Tinken, Did you say M1 10W40 or equivalent above?
    Tinken likes this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Typo, sorry :o
  11. n2mytc448 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc 449
    Tinken, thank you. Did you have a similar issue with starting a new Husky?
  12. n2mytc448 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tc 449
    Also, how long will I need to leave the switch setting in high mode? Meaning throughout break in period, just until I get the idle set, during normal warmup, etc? Thanks
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We raced the TC449's from 2010 to 2012 as the Husqvarna Factory race team.
    Umm.. We always ran it on high mode, should see a difference right around 12-15 hours in.
    PaulC likes this.