1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Starting issues solved

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im no wizz with smokers but on and off Ive had trouble starting the bike whenever its left for a week or so between rides. The problem appears to be oil settling in the carb (well so Ive been told).
    What I do now (which has worked everytime) is after each ride I switch the fuel off and let it continue to idle for about 2 minutes then turn the engine off. I then hold the bike on its side to fully drain the carb. Once drained after a few seconds its ready to be stored away.
    When the next ride arrives I give the tank/bike a bit of a shake before turning the fuel tap on. This has resulted in the bike starting within the firt 3 kicks each time.

I dont know if this simple process is common knowledge but it was news to me and wanted to share it :thumbsup:
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I drain all the carbs on all my bikes, both two and four stroke after each ride. There is ethanol in the fuel here, and even with a stabilizer, the stuff sitting in the carb seems to go bad right away. I can leave a bike to sit for only a week and if I drain the carb then, the gas that dribbles out is foul and green as though it has sat for several months. The fuel in the tank seems to be okay though. Seems like the two stroke oil that I use stays disbursed really well in the gasoline. I recently switched over to a stabilizer designed for marine engines which is supposed to help combat the problems caused by ethanol fuel. I'll see how that works.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Olds school trick of laying the bike over BEFORE you go to start it works well too. Gets semi fresh gas to the carb and slops some in the intake for rich condition for starting. I'm old school so I do this all the time, works great.
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    You can call that an old school trick but the old stuff had tickler buttons at least the Brittish sutff I had. I only learned about that laying the bike over when I bought a new ktm 200 in 2004 The dealer showed me it and it is only for when it is real cold. I tried that on my 2004 wr 250 husky and that was a mistake I finally got it going but will never do that again on that bike. My 125 husky has had the gas left on virtually all the time, it has made a few small stains lately so I started turning it off but leaving it on didn't hurt starting of that one. I don't know exactly what the newest bikes have for petcocks but one of mine gave gas flavored fingers within a year so leave it on has it's logic if you can ride from where you park it.

Fran
  5. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im use to leaning my old 4 stroke bikes over with flooding problems so I guess this is the same solution to starting problems :)
  6. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    I have never had this problem with mine. The only time it is hard to start is when its Stinking hot & on the side of a hill & I'm not talking about the motor being hot
  7. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im not sure what effect cold weather and the race head has on starting as well. I know one thing this new race head needs a bit more leg to kick her over.