1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Starting the 300, method and solution :)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im going to see if any others fit from the 4 strokes because this is crazy. My old KTM started first kick everytime and the husky takes 4..5 6 kicks. arrrg.

I wanted to rotate the kick starter forward a notch but it will hit the exhaust.

Anyone have any solutions to this?
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I only stop at downhill sections so I can bump start
  3. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

In the last 10mins I decided to rotate the starter one more notch clockwise. It almost hits the exhaust but nothing my hammer cant fix :)
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Ive heard of a few guys with starting issues with wr 250
    id hate that - advantage of 125 ..
    bit of practice perhaps
    you could try the pwk carby - I believe some say that helps
    + other benefits
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Is this issue when your bike is cold...hot...happens all the time?:excuseme:
    Could it just need a bigger pilot jet or air screw adjustment? Or all the 300's hard to start?
  6. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX200,KX125,CR250,50cc quad,
    so many posts on this topic lol.

learn to kick it is all i can say.

If you still cant get it, your jetting must be out.

Mine is worse case 3 kicks cold. 1st kick hot always.
  7. Croc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    No probs with mine1-2 kicks cold. You have to remember that its a husky & if you don't kick it right, she no goes.
  8. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

All magazines complain about this at 1 time or another, Once you get used to it the bike starts easy. On my WR 250 I rotated it forward 1 spline to get a little more travel and it helps. On my 125 I would always mess up the start of a race sitting on the line with that tiny kick starter. It was kind of embarrassing as the 125 was so easy to start. The WR 250 was the hole shot king and always seemed to start, go figure. It is the nature of the beast, no fixing it until Husky changes the motor. When the bike is cold I assume you know to lay it over on the left hand side to prime it.
  9. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    My son told me to stop kicking it like a girl..........

Seriously, I had the same issue. Here's some things that helped.

Get it jetted right.
    Crank the idle up and back the air screw out another turn

rotate the kickstarter through once or twice slowly to get it to TDC then slide way forward and aim your heel at the rear axle rather than kicking straight down. It takes a 100% committed kick, wailing on the kickstarter doesn't seem to work.

When all else fails, hold the throttle wide open, then kick.
    For some bizarre reason mine refuses to start if I roll the throttle open as I kick, it needs to be wide open before I kick it. Any thoughts on this??? still too rich on the pilot? idle too low? not enough cutaway on the slide?
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You will never start it sitting down you must stand up jump high into the air and come down with a full kick Mine starts just about everythime first kick .BUT if you do not kick it all the way thru with a full kick you just wasted time and effor.
  11. JMann2380 Husqvarna
    C Class

I can't believe people have problems with this. I almost didn't buy a Husky because I didn't think I would be able to to start it. After my first ride it was second nature. It definitely takes a little more oomph than a KTM, but mine is 2-3 kicks cold and 1 kick hot. Last ride I must have stalled the bike 20 times riding through a boulder garden and it fired up every single time on the first kick, even flooded with the throttle wide open.

Listen I am 5' 7" and 280, not very flexible and have zero problem. Definitely check your jetting.
  12. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

I had a hard time getting the stock carb to work very well. I just don't think it mixes gas efficiently at low rpm and small throttle openings (like starting). if i leaned it out enough to start easily when warm, it became borderline too lean, and was a little weak off idle.

keihin carb fixed the problem. i also scooch forward a bit to kick. it doesn't start as easily as my 200 (what does?), but it's not any harder than my kx250.
  13. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

After rotating the kicker around one notch and trying to get it TDC it is a bit easier.
    Sure its no KTM but hey I guess thats why I bought a husky :)

Ive only got 40klm on her atm so she is still being run in. probably still a bit tight in the guts.

I dont know what jetting the shop did, will pay me to ask I think ;) Once going she runs good except for topping out too early.
  14. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I get my body up and over the tank, so I'm kicking it at a backwards angle rather than straight down. Once you get used to it then it becomes a non-issue. And it keeps your friends from wanting to ride it.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats been my experience with the WR250's i have owned. Once you ride it some you forget all about the weird location and just kick.
  16. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Its a non issue if you learn procedure for tdc and jet it. I rarely kick kore than twice EVER!
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    This is the technique I used with my 300 and it was 1-2 kicks cold and 1 kick hot 99.9% of the time.
  18. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Keihin carb makes a big difference. I got my Mikuni jetted good, but the PWK is better anyway. I start mine sitting down with gear engaged and clutch in. Everytime i fall or the engine dies i just pull the clutch and kick it 1 or 2 times and it´s starts perfect. I´m 5`7 short.

Johnny
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    If you think a WR is hard to start then you need to try an early CRF450 Honda ...

My WR300 is an easy 1 or 2 kick most times.
  20. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Arrrr yes I been there and in the middle of summer it aint fun.:D