1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Steering Damper....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Jersey Woods, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    I have one on my 03 KTM EXC 250F and I like it a lot. I know that bike needs one with out a doubt the way it's set up... I know it's saved me from a lot of stuff over the years... But now that I have a little time riding my new WR150, I'm not sure if I'm gonna get one real soon for it.. I'm sure some here use them and some don't.... I'd kinda like to hear how others who ride these bikes feel about them and weather or not they use one...
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have the Motosportz dampner and really like it. I like it because it makes smacking the tight tree thickets doable. The dampner is easy to install and very simple to adjust.
    jmetteer likes this.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine doesn't need one at all. All my KTMs did as do Gas Gas.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I agree with Dwight that it doesn't "need" a dampner. In my area we have far more burned forest than green forest. Many of the burns are in that time period when you have huge numbers of young trees encroaching on the trails and it really helps to have a dampner to keep from having the bars ripped out of your hand when blasting through this stuff.
  5. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    I have one on my WB165. I have it mainly to save my ass when I smack a tree at higher speeds. Believe me when I say that I was very glad to have made the investment at the point in time when that tree ends up in the way! Husky's generally dont NEED a dampner but I put one on all my bikes just for racing.
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I don't have one on mine and I don't feel that it needs one.The combination of the light weight and great handling make it perfect as is for me!:cheers:.
    Vinduro likes this.
  7. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I took a nasty fall this week breaking five ribs when I hit a rock behind a tuff of grass that I didn't see.The front tire kicked out almost making my bike horizontal to the tral throwing me down.Would a dampner have saved me?
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I'm not sure if I needed a dampener but I bought one thinking it would help my right wrist from hurting at the end of long rides in the rocks and roots. From previous injuries not related to motorcycles my right wrist used to kill me for about a week after a tough ride in the rocks. I bought a Scotts with the BRP under bar mount which also helped raise the bars a little more for my height and I must say it did help with fatigue and it took quite a bit of the jarring deflection kicks from hammering my wrist. The hidden kickers on downhills still give me the willies and I think a re-valve would help out but I've not wanted to part with my bike long enough to get my forks redone. The dampener got me about half way there and I believe the other half is in a re-valve and flex bars. I never felt I needed the dampener from a stability standpoint my WR250 is rock solid at high speed and I've never even got a hint of head shake.
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Doubt it.
    huskybear likes this.
  10. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I run a Scotts on my WR, mainly because I already had it on my KTM so all I needed was the mount. I think it has saved me from quite a few headers. Something to be aware of with the Scotts is you'll need to "modify" the front of your tank with a heat gun to fit around the post.
  11. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    From the looks of it I was wondering if the post would fit in there.... Ain't much room from where the front part of the tank secures to the frame....

Thanks everyone for your input.... Because of the nasty stuff we ride in, I think I'll go ahead and get one for my Husky... I have the option of getting the mounting kit from Scotts and taking it off my KTM or ordering a complete one from Motposportz... I'll have to make a decision on what way i wanna go,,,,
  12. BCdirtbikegal Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 KTM sx50 jr, 08 pw50
    I have one on mine, the Scott's with the BRP mount. I was skeptical about it making a difference, as these bikes handle so well, but now if I turn it right off, the front end feels really strange, and definitely deflects a lot more. I race and ride a lot of nasty trails as well and found that I crashed less, and could ride faster through some of that terrain and less strain on my wrists, and I am taller and liked that the BRP mount brought the bars up higher.
    lankydoug likes this.
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I think it's one of those things you don't need, but make your life easier no matter what bike you put one on. I got my first one about a year ago after riding for decades without.
  14. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    No
    I did the same 6 months ago (only 4 ribs broken)
    I don't know the speed what you where doing but a damper is not saving you from the extreme hits to rocks as that you describe.

I did consider a damper at one stage but when I really had to choose where i had to spend money on my bike (budget had a limitation)

the more power (WB165) was the clear winner together with a new con-rod, all bearings and exhaust

the bikes handles already better then any other bike i driven in the past so Its not that i see it as a urgent upgrade for this bike

heal well with your ribs as it really sucks (don't sneeze as I did that a few times and re broke some of them).

Robert-Jan
  15. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    No there is not a lot of room at all. I even called Scotts to verify I had the right tower. And don't try removing material from the tank. That part is actually hollow :doh: A few minutes with a heat gun and you'll be good to go. Not sure if any work is required with the Motosportz.
  16. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I also had to melt the tank to get my GPR post to fit.
  17. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    We rode today for about 4 hours in some of the worst stuff South Jersey has to offer.... The rutted crap,Gravel roads, the fallen trees, deep sand, heavy under brush, winding up and down the hills with not much room and the wicked handle bar to handle bar stuff between trees.. It wasn't till we got into super tight stuff and I banged off a tree I may not have dropped my bike... I'm pretty sure the deflection may have kept me from up right... But either way it's time to get one mounted on this bike.....