Stupid FI q?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by craigs449, Aug 27, 2010.

1. craigs449 Husqvarna
    B Class

First of all, this is my 1st FI bike, So I have no idea what I am doing with this thing (other than riding it of course!). I bought a 2008 smr 510 from a guy on SMJ. The bike has the dealer installed Power up kit with Arrow exhgaust. The PO told me that the dealer tuned the bike to 100% when the Arrow pipe was installed. I can only assume that that means that the bike was tuned to perfection. I noticed tonight, after firing her up after fixing this stinkin' fule pump and low fuel light crap! that the headers were glowing orange after only a few minutes of idling. The bike has seemed to run hot for me , but i just figureed a turn key race bike would run hot. I know the glowing header to be a sure sign of a lean condition on a carbed bike (which I am familiar with correction via carb work) but I have no Idea where to start on this.....Is there a power commander on this? Can I tune the bike? Is this a "Dealer rape my wallet" type of mod, or can I do this m,yself? What am I looking for on this bike, power commander wise, autotunewise, Ibeat wise>>>>>> I have no Idea about fuel injectiona and have no idea where to start.

The PO lives at 650 ft above sea level, I live 165 ft above sea level. I didn't think that would be much of a difference.
  2. HSMRDave Husqvarna
    B Class

Hello mate, I am assuming that when the bloke stated that it was "Tuned" to 100%, meant that the FI was put into race mode, which is quite a simple mod and a standard one when fitting the Arrow race pipe.
    The bike will not have a Power Commander/Autotune fitted i wouldn't have thought, (have a look under the seat), however I would defo' recommend one. The only trouble is that they will cost you about $500 or so (worth it IMO).
    A dealer could hook it up to ibeat, but I doubt this would give you any ware near as much adjustability as the PCV/Aututune would give you.
    There are loads of PCV threads/info on here and other forums which will give you all the detailed info' regarding DFi issues etc.

Dave
  3. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am thinking that when he told you the dealer set it to 100%, he is either talking about the CO levels or FB1 levels. Semco who advertises on here can sell you the ibeat software and wire. You can tune it with that. My memory is getting foggy now on 2008 and you just getting into the FI I don't want to make this too confusing. Basically there is a little different way to adjust it using the O2 sensor reading the bike. P.M. me your phone number and I will try to help you out. The Power Commander V works well too.
  4. craigs449 Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the info. No Power commander under the seat BTW. I guess like you guys said, next step is to buy a Power Commander and tune it myself. A guy on SMJ said the dealer that tuned it to 100% probably used Ibeat, and you can tune it way better with a power commander. I thought these bikes came with different maps that could be sought out using the dash computer? My buddy's KTM does......
  5. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

08's have only one fuel adjustment point "FB1" that can adjusted with iBeat. On the other hand a PCV gives you about 400 points of adjustment based on RPM and throttle position.

One thing to check first if you can get it connected to iBeat, is to verify the water temp sensor is working properly. There have been several case where the sensor failed causing the ECU to command the wrong fuel amount. There is also post here on using resistance reading to test the sensor if you can't get access to iBeat.

I assume the O2 sensor has been removed from the exhaust and the "race connector" plugged into the O2 connector under the tank?

If you end up installing a PCV you have the option to install the AutoTune module that will make fuel adjustments based a 400 point user defined AFR (air-fuel-ratio). The other option is to use the PCV with a predefined map based on a 08 510 tested bike and make manual fuel adjustment to the table as needed.

Reading some of the post on the PCV should help you understand more if your confused on the details.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the red hot head pipes mean nothing and that is normal. these are thin walled pipes and get cherry red quick. If it runs good run it.
  7. craigs449 Husqvarna
    B Class

thanks.....thats what i keep hearing . this thing is a beast, runs like a champ!! just being lame i guess!