1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Super Noob with questions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by blysccr, Jun 17, 2012.

1. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I have a xr400 and drz400. Rode an enduro school this past weekend on the drz and feel like a bike under 320ish pounds would be more fun. I plan on selling the xr for a 300 2t ( i have offroad and supermoto for the drz)

the bike would need to be plated so I can access the local trails where I live--State College pa

I have narrowed it down to the KTM 300 or the Husky WR300- Preferably around 3K

From what I've read

KTM
    +wider powerband
    +more dealers
    +suspension is easier to set up(less finicky)
    -electric start(that doesn't always work and adds weight)
    -orange(if that matters)
    -price

Husky
    +price
    +simple
    +tried and true design
    -awkward kick started
    -non hydro clutch (depending on viewpoint)
    -smaller dealer network
    -leaky air boot/hard to jet

Basically, I have talked to a couple owners with a plated ktm 300xcw and they said between 1-200 hours on top end rebuilds- with moderate street use and not super hard high rpm offroad use.

How does the Husky compare to this service interval? Also, doing the work yourself, what are the approximate costs of top end rebuilds?

Cliffs-
    -service interval of wr300 as a dualsport
    -why do i want this bike over a 300xcw

thanks for bearing with me.
    Husky19 likes this.
  2. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    also, the 09-10 can put signals on, right? its the 11+ with electrical issues?
  3. motocrossmr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '05 PW80, '12 KX 65
    You will be able to get a pretty solid bike for 3k. To be honest if I were you I would purchase the nicest bike I could get my hands on whether it be white or orange. If it were my money I would buy Husky just because I like their bikes. The Husky has proven itself to be rock solid in the motor department so no worries there. Parts wont be a problem. There are a few really reputable Husky dealers in PA that will be able to get you OEM parts fast. I use Toy Tech and they are on top of their game. Anything non OEM can be purchased from a local cycle shop or online.

Someone might correct me but Im sure you can put a hydro clutch on the Husky. If you cant its not like your not used to a cable clutch since you have two bikes with them now. As far as jetting goes there is a ton of info on here in regards to that. I dont think it would take you long to nail it down. Once its set then the adjustments will be minor.

Kick starter......thats something that cant be changed and you will have to live with. My 360 never really bothered me. You didnt mention your height and that could determine what you think. Taller guys dont seem mind. Im 5-10 and did fine with it.

I cant comment on the KTM to much. They are good bikes no doubt. Im not trying to talk you into a Husky either......well okay I am.:D
  4. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    I went from a DR-Z to a WR300. Night and day difference. I've only been riding my new bike for a couple months now, and the most common comment I get from my riding partners is "when did you get so fast?". The answer is when I got a bike between 60-80 lbs lighter. In Canada the bikes come with all the gear to make them street legal, I got a box full of signal lights and mirrors along with my bike. Yeah, I'm having a few little problems with it, but I think most bikes have their idiosyncrasies. It's not orange either...
  5. Auslander Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would suggest riding the XR in a couple enduros to get a feel for the format. They aren't bad bikes.
  6. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    I can tell you I have ridden a KTM EXC 250F for a bunch of years and really think the world of those bikes, but they are heavy... Those bikes and the Husky are pretty tall in the seat height because I'm 5' 8"... I'm not sure how tall you are or how much you weigh... That can play a role in what you ride and how well you ride it...... The XR and the DRZ are very heavy bikes with out a doubt about it.. If your capable of riding those bikes in the woods, I'd say get some seat time on them.. But I'll caution you on this....If you test ride a Husky WR like I did you may NEVER wanna ride one of those heavy bikes again.. As I said I love my KTM.. It has been rock solid to me, but it's pretty heavy..... I just bought a new WR 150 last week and can not get over how agile and light this bike is... I have been asking myself why I didn't buy one earlier ?? You obviously will have to decide for your self whats better for you... Weigh out the plus and minus and you can make a decision that makes sense for you...

Electric start ?? Nice option....But in the colder months I have to kick start my KTM anyways....

Hydraulic clutch ?? Can't say it's any better then a cable operated one... But they have more options for part failure ... Slave cylinder etc...

Price ?? I did way better buying a new Husky then a KTM.. A price for used one is up to how savvy of a buyer you are .... Good deals come to those who know how to bargain....

Dealers- Parts... I'm pretty lucky for my Husky I have 3 dealers.. 2 that are close and one about 2 hours away... For my KTM I have 1 about an hour and a half away and the other two hours away..

Good luck and let us know ............
  7. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    i'm 6'1 200 +- 10 . well, i rode some bikes this weekend...2012 gasgas300, 2012 ktm 300xc and 2012 husky 310 txc i believe? took the xr in the woods. all i can say is why didn't i just pony up the first time. these bikes are unbelievable. as giantjoe said, without trying, riding those bikes faster is easy. i loved all the bikes i rode, i can get a 2012 wr300 for 6200 but i'm concerned about the lighting issue. I need to have it plated where I live to ride or I can't ride it. Too bad you don't see any 09-10's for sale.

I'm selling my drz400s with supermoto stuff and my xr400 and turning that into a 2stroke bike. it will likely be a ktm because i can find them for sale, unlike the 09-10 wr's.

may have the chance to get a 2010 gasgas 250, any opinions here? how is low end compared to the 300's?

thanks for the help guys these nice euro bikes are addictive.
  8. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    ^edit

also, i've read of issues about lights on the new husky. and that they are harder to plate because of the title saying offroad only, is this true?
  9. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    I just plated for my new WR 150..... And it's a must where we ride to have plates..
  10. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    Ive owned both, they are both great bikes.
    • The Husky kick start is not an issue! I dont know why people keep complaining about it.
    • Husky's are way cheaper to buy and the same to maintain
    • Husky's look way more stylish
    • Hyd clutch vs. cable? cable is simple no seals to blow. ALso if you run a rekluse cable bikes are easier to fine tune.
    • Linkage vs. PDS. Linkage better for bigger/sharper bumps. Same difficulty in set up.
    • WR250/300 is so much lighter, better handling,etc. than the XR400 (which i have also owned)or the DRZ (I've ridden more thana few miles on a DRZ400e) you will never ride the red devil again
    • Halls ships parts 4 days a week.
    • Same jetting concerns with both. KTM does give you a nice jetting chart in the back of the book (if the PO gives it to you)
    • I just happen to have a 250 for sale in the clasifieds, looking to move into a new 2013.
  11. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    How's the 250 bottom end compare to the 300? Thanks for the great comparison
  12. Suamico SD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 , Gas Gas Raga 300
    They both have power on the bottom, however the 300 stays even all the all up as the 250 is more peaky
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    blysccr, You've asked a lot of good questions. If you have a chance to ride both bikes and compare I would do that first. The leaky air boot is really a non issue since installing a pair of reed block gaskets solves this forever (about $8 total cost). At 6'1" you are at the borderline of benefiting from the tall man friendly Husky. The tall ergos of the Husky was a big factor for me choosing it over other bikes. Buying used you might get a smoking deal on either bike but the Husky has the KTM easily beat on new pricing. I doubt you'll find a more dependable engine than a Husky, maybe that's where some of the extra lbs are but riding the Husky doesn't give you the impression that it's a heavy bike. Electric start would be nice but for me the extra weight and expense is not worth it. After reading about all the E-start problems on the KTM and GasGas forums I think they aren't for me + batteries are a hassle no matter what they are in. The stock cable clutch on the Husky is an easy 1 or 2 finger as is but can be made easier with a couple inexpensive mods. (motion pro cable and modifying the pivot arm) For most riders except top level A and pro the 250 and 300 will be ridden in the midrange most of the time and not WFO screaming on the pipe. The top ends will last a lot longer this way, depending on your riding style, jetting and air filter maintenance, possibly 3 times as long before a top end is needed. You can compare compression readings over time and inspect the piston through the exhaust and intake port to give yourself an indication of wear.
  14. blysccr Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I feel like i want the husky, hard to find used and like you said good price new. I'm concerned with putting lights on the 11-12 as I need to have it plated to ride. Also, I know you can get parts online, but the lack of a dealer network has me a little concerned. At least there are some parts available online, like radiator guards skid plates etc. it just seems that the husky should have a better following than it does. plus, since everyone pretty much has a ktm, trouble shooting should be easier on them?

a guy i know just bought a 2012 ktm 300 and said his 250 husky was the best handling bike he's ever ridden

thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it
  15. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i am kind of in the same boat.

i have a 2010 ktm 300xcw and im looking hard at a wr300.

i did my ktm piston att 115 hours because the base gasket let go and all my coolant leaked out. piston looked ok afterwords but it still had 100+ hours on it.
    the ktm suspension id plenty finicky. took me 1/2 a season to get mine dialed. also the cost of a GOOD shock revalve and spring is around $5-600 depending on what your after. the forks on a XCW are simpler then the XC forks that i have but will still be in the $150 area for valving plus &100ish for springs.

im leaning towards husky again though because im tired of replaceing fork seals, countershaft seals and wheel bearings. i think ktm makes a really nicely set up bike but im getting tired of fixing it. its a pure bred racer, but its fairly high mainenance. im hoping the husky is a bit more bullet proof even though i know its going to take more to get the bike just how i want it(add ons).

if your looking to dual sport more then race the ktm is for sure better suited to that then the wr. but like i say i may take more to kep it in optimal running condition.

also the ktm owners manual is so much better then the huskys that the wr may as well not come with a book at all.

all things to consider.
  16. Dave19 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    98 ZX11, 04 SY Scorpa
    I bought my 1st. Husky used from Toy Tech. Scott is a great guy and can get you ANYTHING you need Only about 2hrs from State College. I'm about 5 miles so it's a simple drive for me. I bought a 08TXC 510... And these guys are right, BULLET PROOF!! My 1st. Husky and my 1st. 4stroke with electric start... :) It's a big bike but I wanted something to ride on fire roads outside of Lock Haven and to trail ride also in Tower City..... I rode the Durty Dabbers event and had no problem with legal issues.
    I put a Sicass lighting kit on for $350 (no signals) got it inspected and I ride it. All guards are easy to obtain. And they all fit well, 7606, Motosportz, Hyde Racing etc.... KTMs are nice also but Toy Tech is a good dealer. He even got me parts for my Kawasaki when I had that!!! Also I had no trouble getting a tiltle, I think it even had MC on the title.....
    717-949-9484 Toy Tech, Good Luck!!

P.S. I love my Husqvarna.....:cheers: