Super rumor...

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was told today by a guy in a position to know these things and is working with one of these companies that Harley Davidson is working a deal for ATK, highland and Vetimati motorcycles. Not sure if it is a buyout or tech buy or what but it appears HD is looking to build a cutting edge dirt bike.

don't shoot me just passing the rumor that i thought was really crazy and interesting.
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

I heard a similar rumor. Everyone remember the 650 SMR styling exercise? MV kept that design during the BMW buy-out of Husky and now that HD owns MV they have the rights to that design, Highland has a engine ideally suited to that bike (Staple King please chime in) and Vetimati has the facility to do the frame and assembly. I never heard anything about ATK being involved but if they were going to take the SM and do a Dirtbike conversion I guess ATK might be a good candidate for that job.:excuseme:
  3. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

why the hell would harley want to get into the dirtbike market .... its such a small segment and the existing mfg'ers have got it dialed. The money time and effort just to get a bike that is competitive with what is out there would not be worth it. Not to mention trying to convince dirt riders who grew up high quality jap bikes that HD has got it figured out .... not going to happen. the only thing I think they would be interested in might be the adventure bike market and the uly is already there. Harley dirtbikes ... oy!!
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Gee, I don't know...maybe they want to improve on this attempt?

[IMG]

:lol:

WoodsChick
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I've seen that bike before, and for the life of me I don't know why, but I want to ride the dang thing.:excuseme::lol:
  6. rajobigguy Administrator

It needs a 5 gal. tank, Baja Designs rear fender and a Renazco seat to complete the package.:D
  7. columbia510 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There is a oldtimer in the club I belong to(Los Gatos Motorcycle Club),he built a Harley dirtbike that is over 450lbs and makes a 610 look like a 50. This bike is so tall,the seat comes up to my ribs, I'm 6'0 tall,I will post pics IF he ever brings it to one of our rides. This bike is so.....large.

One year we talked him into riding the 05 Quicksilver Enduro on it, he made it past the 2mile marker then wadded the tank down an embankment. Stayed there overnight due to nobody able to upright the beast, until the awesome Doug Chandler was able to kick it over and ride the bike back to trucks......the next day. Classic
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Remember this one.

[IMG]
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I raced against guys with some really nice Harley dirt bikes.

They just needed to stick with their program longer, last time they tried this.

Harley sales are down over 90%. I assumed some Chinese group would buy them out. They just layed off over 400 workers, and their cruiser market is super-saturated.

IMHO its a great time to build a US dirtbike, adv bike, commuter dual sport, and utility quad--given the macro-economic treands of the next decade. (weak dollar, possible creeping protectionism, etc.)

Highland brings in the design knowledge. ATK the distribution? Or just a brand name. Not on board with Vert, but what do i know. Maybe european distribution?

I think Harley should at least give it a try, if nothing else it will add value when the Chinese/Polaris/Bombadier/whoever go and pick up their bankrupt carcass.

Personally i would LOVE to buy a US made dirt bike. But as always there is a right way, and a BMW way. (sorry, couldnt resist..)

Husqvarna would have been a very good aquisition for Harley. Woulda coulda.
  10. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Harley in '75 had a great dirt bike. Steep learning curve, but they got it done. Then they pulled the plug on the program.

It takes time to build a brand, and corporations dont like to wait.

Cannondale just didnt have deep enough pockets.

Attached Files:

12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    rex staten, marty tripes, jim beachamp all harley-davidson dirt bike pros back that time frame....remember the bike is essentially another italian built machine. she was a little heavy but overbuilt and like mike said with a little more time to pare down the machine it would have been even more competitive (it was competitive, just needed more real world race time), a very nice looking machine,,,,ah ha thats where KTM got the color idea from!!!
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  14. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

rumors

as i recall, weren't the 100 baja 125 rapid and 350 harley sprints made in the archdermi factory, which is now the husky factory ?? :excuseme::excuseme:
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    They were built in the Aermacchi factory which Harley owned, then sold to Cagiva (Huskys were built there) and now Harley has bought it back with the aquisition of MV Agusta/Cagiva. Full circle!
  16. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think Harley should take a lesson from BMW and focus on what it does best. STREET BIKES!

I can't speak for BMW but I think their dirt bike experiment is going to be coming to a rapid end shortly.

Honda is going to be out of Dirt Bikes and Sport ATVs within 5 years.

Those that stay will have to keep prices low to be competitive.

Why would Harley want to get into dirt bikes when they make more on one street bike than what they could make on six dirt bikes.

Doesn't make any sense.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Should be interesting.

I snapped this pix at the Dez100 race in Odessa WA. Saw it our on the course several times. the guy road it in the poker run for 50 plus pretty hard miles. He has done it several times. Crazy.

[IMG]
  18. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Remember the works Harleys in the desert with rear forks?
    Hey it was the '70's...:)

getting closer:

Attached Files:

20. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer