Suzukis back! RMX450Z

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    2010 Suzuki RMX450Z

Heart of a champion, a taste for adventure.
    2010 Suzuki RMX450Z
    Racing improves the breed; Suzuki has proven that time and time again. Now it’s time to rewrite the rules for the serious off-road rider. Introducing the 2010 Suzuki RMX450Z.

Descended from the Championship winning RM-Z450, the first motocross bike to offer high-performance Suzuki fuel injection, the RMX450Z is a serious off-road bike for serious trail riders. Its powerful and torquey 449cm3, liquid-cooled, four-stroke engine shares all core technology with Suzuki’s winning open-class motocrosser. Its frame, suspension and bodywork are all nearly identical to the RM-Z450’s—maintaining that model’s slim, aggressive styling. Only changes to make the RMX450Z a superior trail machine have been made—maximum performance – no compromises.

That’s like taking your hard-core motocross machine out onto the trail.

Only better. Much better.

Fuel Injection
    Suzuki pioneered fuel injection for motocrossers, and the RMX450Z shares all key technologies with the stunning RM-Z450. Fuel injection improves fuel efficiency, throttle response and reduces emissions, allowing the RMX450Z to be “green sticker” eligible in the state of California. On every trail in the world, the RMX450Z’s fuel injection provides unmatched smoothness of power delivery and trail-ready reliability thanks to a KEIHIN throttle body with progressive linkage. This advanced fuel injection system also eliminates the need for re-jetting at higher elevations. To best suit the RMX450Z to life on the trail, the airbox features a hinged lid for quick air-filter maintenance and better protection from dust. Suzuki’s vast experience with motorcycle fuel injection both on and off-road help make this among the best systems available.

Electric Start
    The trail is no place to wear yourself out kick-starting a bike, so the RMX450Z comes with an electric starter, energized by a compact battery centrally located to reduce its influence on weight distribution and balance of the bike. To charge the battery and power the RMX450Z’s lights, a larger magneto-generator is fitted. It’s a win-win situation.

Engine & Transmission
    Suzuki has made minimal modifications to the all-conquering RM-Z450’s potent four-valve, DOHC engine for the RMX450Z. This lightweight engine now features a modified inlet tract along with revised cam profiles to increase low and mid-rpm power. Wider gear ratios in the 5-speed constant-mesh transmission that work with revised primary and final-drive ratios are ideally suited for a broad range of conditions, from scaling steep trails to high-speed open-terrain riding.

The addition of a coolant reservoir tank increases on-trail reliability, while a relocated filler cap improves access. Because the trail can be a rocky place, a new engine protector plate is fitted. No stone was left unturned.

State of the Art Chassis
    Suzuki’s light and effective aluminum alloy twin-spar frame construction is used in the RMX450Z, employing both cast and extruded sections for the utmost benefits of both: low weight, high rigidity, and high durability. The RMX450Z’s aluminum alloy swingarm is derived from the RM-Z450’s to maintain ideal balance, while the rear suspension linkage benefits from reduced free play. Its geometry combines the RM series’ renowned turning-on-rails abilities with optimized handling performance that all serious trail riders want.

World Class Suspension
    Derived from the RM-Z450, the RMX450Z’s trail ready suspension features the same phenomenal action as the race bike. The RMX450Z suspension utilizes high performance rebound and compression damping adjustable Showa forks combined with a Showa piggyback reservoir style rear shock featuring two-way adjustable compression damping with adjustable rebound damping and preload adjustments. Spring rates have been optimized for off-road riding. Every aspect of the RMX450Z’s performance envelope has been carefully considered for serious off-road riding without compromising a millimeter of quality.

Superior Ergonomics
    Sit on an RM-Z450. Now go sit on the new RMX450Z. Feels just about the same, right? That’s right. With an ideal riding position resulting from the motocross-developed seat, slim bodywork and low-profile aluminum alloy fuel tank, the RMX450Z allows the rider to concentrate on the terrain. A comfortable rider is a fast rider.

Instruments You Need
    A durable, ultra-compact enclosure houses a full-function instrument cluster on the RMX450Z—and can be configured for two modes, standard and sport. The sport mode simplifies the display so the rider can concentrate on terrain; it shows the timer, tripmeter, average speed and tire-diameter correction. In the standard mode, the display also shows speed, time, two trip lengths, and voltage. An integrated tire diameter calculator allows precise fine tuning for different tires to ensure accuracy of the speed and distance displays. The RMX450Z also features a low fuel level warning light for confident off-road riding anywhere you go.

2010 RMX450Z Technical Specifications
    Overall Length 2,185 mm (86.0 in.)
    Overall Width 830 mm (32.7 in.)
    Overall Height 1,260 mm (50.0 in.)
    Wheelbase 1,480 mm (58.3 in.)
    Ground Clearance 320 mm (12.6 in.)
    Seat Height 955 mm (37.6 in.)
    Curb Weight 123.5 kg (272.3 lbs.)
    Engine Type 4-stroke, liquid cooled, DOHC
    Bore 96.0 mm
    Stroke 62.1 mm
    Displacement 449 cm³
    Compression Ratio 11.6:1
    Fuel System Fuel Injection
    Lubrication System Suzuki Advanced Sump System
    Clutch Wet multi-plate type
    Starter Electric and Manual
    Transmission 5-speed constant mesh
    Primary Reduction Ratio 2.708 (65/24)
    Gear Ratios 1st 2.153 (28/13)
    2nd 1.611 (29/18)
    3rd 1.250 (25/20)
    4th 1.000 (19/19)
    5th 0.826 (19/23)
    Final Reduction Ratio 3.923 (51/13)
    Front Suspension SHOWA 47mm telescopic forks, pneumatic/coil spring, oil
    damped
    Rear Suspension Swingarm, link type, SHOWA piggyback-reservoir shock
    Caster 29°18’
    Trail 130mm (5.1 in.)
    Front Brake Disc
    Rear Brake Disc
    Front Tire Size 80/100-21
    Rear Tire Size 110/100-18
    Fuel Tank Capacity 6.2 L (1.6 US gal.)
    Body Color Sold Black/Champion Yellow No. 2 (GY8)

*Product Specifications Subject to Change
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  3. Doormandan Husqvarna
    A Class

Is husky changing their colors:D:D:D:D

Dan L
  4. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    with a 1.6gal tank it's the smallest, even less capacity then the BMW G450X. 5 speed trans,.......etc. Be interesting to see more street legal machines out of the Japanese.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I think it's great that it's a green sticker bike, but a 272lb 450? Is it just me, or is that a tad on the porky side?

And I think they had it right when they said "A taste for adventure" since a taste is about all you're going to get with a 1.6gal tank...

PickyChick
  6. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

I agree ... 272 lbs .....YIKES!!!
  7. rajobigguy Administrator

OK so we have a somewhat porky, non street legal, close ratio, limited range trail bike. Does that about sum it up.:excuseme:
    Seems like there would be a pretty limited market for that type of bike.:confused:
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Well, give `em credit for recognizing a need for an off-road (i.e. non-MX) 450 4-stroke, but that's about it. I know they have the DRZ and all, but can you imagine how many of these things they'd sell if it only had a plate? Or was lighter with a 6-speed? When are the Japanese companies going to wake up and smell the 6th gear coffee? If it's almost exactly like the RMZ450, how come it's so heavy? Surely the starter can't add that much weight...

272# would be borderline acceptable to me...maybe... if it was street legal with a rockin' motor, big tank and a 6-speed...maybe.

WoodsChick
  9. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

For a second I was excited for Suzuki...I have owned quite a few of them. Then I saw the lack of 6 speed and small tank and I too wonder what the hell were they thinking? Come on, you can't just stick on an enduro computer, lights and BNG and call it an X....well, I guess in reality you can, but sadly I don't see them flying off the shelves.
  10. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    No thanks, I could put a sidecar on our CR 125 and still be under 272 pounds. What the heck is Suzuki thinking?
  11. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    It's Norman's fault. He brought it up. :)
  12. rajobigguy Administrator

Really if they just added a granny 1st. and a overdrive 6th. to the existing DRZ they would have a nice dual sport, granted that it is a bit anemic but not everyone needs to be the fastest on trail, besides there are enough go fast goodies for the DRZ to make it a moderately good performer. Most of us dual sport riders don't mind dealing with a few extra lbs. as long as the bike can get you where you are going.
  13. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    lol
  14. Beerfix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '05 TE-450
    Funny, just last night my buddy and I were discussing the fact that Suzuki doesn't make anything for the off-road market. Not that I'd own one...
  15. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The weights on Japanese bike are famous for being...how can I out this..optimistic. I'll bet it actually weighs more. Well at least Suzuki has a legit reason to race GNCC.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold

That is exactly what I own :D

2006 TE250 :thumbsup:

Larger tanks are available but 100 miles is all I need.
  17. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

They would do better is they just put that motor in the drz. My 02 Z weighed 292 weighed down for a turkey run. that was gassed up, all the woods armour and some extra gear strapped on the fenders. 272 is unacceptable. Bet it handles nice and goes like snot though!!
  18. bbcmat Husqvarna
    A Class

If it's not street legal - then why put up with the weight and lack of range?

MAT
  19. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haaahhhaaaaahhhhaaaaaa:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great... another NON STREET LEGAL dirt enduro bike.

Talk about stupid !!

The F-ing Japanese are like lemmings following one another off a cliff....

Before you know it there won't be any Japanese dirt bikes left!

Hey in a year for now you'll be able to buy leftovers at huge discounts just like the Yamaha WR450, Honda CRX450 and the Kawasaki KLX450.... because you can't ride these things on state managed land.

Talk about stupid marketing!:lol:
  20. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

WOW, finally Suzuki comes out with the bike I had waited for to replace my old '94 DR350....too bad (for them) I caught the Husky bug before it happened.
    now that I have, I don't see switching back any time soon.

The 1.6gal tank and 5spd doesn't thrill me either, but as for the weight. Starting with the 2009 models, Suzuki now shows listed weights as "curb weight" not "dry weight"......so it's supposed to be actual ready to ride weight w/all fluids and full tank, so it's probably right in there w/other in the class.

......and I agree, they missed the boat by not jumping in w/a real dirt worthy dual-sport