1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Swing arm bolt

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Travis Thompson, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 yamaha xs750 special
    I can't get a good swing arm bolt for my bike..mine is so worn out that it wobbles real bad..is there a good grade of bolt at a hardware store I could use? Or would it be better to measure different bikes and find one which sounds like it will be a pain. 91 wxe 260
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

you are going to have to find one as a bolt from a hardware store is not going to work. If you found one that will it will weigh 10 pounds.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Are you sure your "wobble" is from a worn swingarm bolt, and not from worn bearings?
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    drill it out, does halls not have one?
  5. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    Checked halls they dont. Yeah my bolt is visibly worn real bad and can see the bolt move in the hole. Ok ill check around for one that will work. Thanks
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    have you checked the bearings?
    usually the reason they are worn is due to bad bearings
    if it's loose at the frame be sure to measure the frame opening
    if you have the part number call around, it's in the Hall's website
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    The bolt should be tightened down to the point where it can't move in the frame. The bolt (on most bikes, not familiar with your specific model) also generally passes through the back of the motor with very little clearance, which also keeps it from moving. So, you should not have any movement of the bolt in the frame when it is tightened.

It sounds like some things need to be figured out before you go replacing stuff trying to fix your problem.
  8. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well where the bolt goes through the frame there is a ring around the whole bolt that's probably 1mm or more deep..so the bolt can move up and down on the part it goes through the hole on frame...
  9. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I'm not sure what you are saying, exactly.

When you tighten down the bolt, it should "clamp" the entire "stack" of parts that it connects; I am probably missing a few, but this is something like:

Frame-spacer-bearing inner race-spacer-bearing inner race-spacer-engine case-spacer-bearing inner race-spacer-bearing inner race-spacer-Frame

It's a big bolt with a high torque spec, so it clamps these parts TIGHT, and it should not be able to move at all when it's tight. The swingarm moving on the bolt (due to wear/looseness in the bearings) is an entirely different story, but if the bolt can rattle around in the frame when the nut is tight, something is seriously wrong.
    jmetteer likes this.
  10. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
    mine kind of looks like this but a little worse. the groves on mine are closer to the ends right where it sits on frame. thus alowing it to move in the hole. but even with it tight going over bumps it cant be good for it
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    No picture?

It is extremely common to design a bolted joint like this where the clamping force of the bolt keeps the joint from moving. In this case, tightening the swingarm bolt squeezes that assembly with thousands of pounds of force, making it virtually impossible for it to move.

If the swingarm bolt was installed loosely, it would VERY quickly beat itself and/or the frame to pieces, even if it could only move a tiny bit. You absolutely need to have it tightened down enough to be rigid.
  12. Travis Thompson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1991 wxe 260
    Other Motorcycles:
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the swinger bolt should be within thousandths of an inch smaller than the hole in the frame
    measure where you think it might be original size and then measure the frame holes
    if its way off you will need to repair your frame, such as welding in new bosses
  14. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    That bolt looks fine. If yours looks like that, it's probably fine.

Again, this situation doesn't make sense. If the nut is tight and the swingarm still wobble, something else is seriously wrong, most likely in the bearings. You need to dig in there and figure out what is wrong, and not just replace the bolt.