1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Switched to ride a friends 09 gasgas 300 this last weekend. Impression

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Aug 23, 2011.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    So I have a 09 wr300 all bone stock but I switched out the carb to the kehin and its properly jetted. Suspension tuned thats it.
    Initial impression...they both felt very similair in handling, suspension.

The one thing that compeltely blew me away over everything was going from my 300 to his stock 300 I felt like I went from a cr500 to a kdx200. The power difference was incredible. Are gasgases know for being super smooth to the point of borderline slow or are they all topend(I didnt get a chance to open it up as I was on trails only but...it was hugely noticable)? My 300 is super smooth but if you crack the throttle it comes alive fast. I almost felt like I had to work at getting power out of the Gasgas.
    Or is it that I am spoiled and the husky is really just that good?
    tnttimber likes this.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    While I've never ridden a WR300, I have ridden various and assorted GG300's, a GG250 and an `09 WR250. I have never had to work at getting to the power of a GG300. There is no waiting.
    Yes, they are smooth, and that's what makes them so easy to ride. They can be deceptively fast, though you can ride them hard all day and they make everything easy. They are incredibly grunty down low and scare the beejeezus out of me up top if I'm not paying attention. Eric has ridden even more GG300's than I have (he owns a DE300 and an ECO250, and we have numerous friends with GG300's) and he rode 2 `09 WR300's (one brand new and probably not sorted properly, even though he got it jetted and running really clean, and Troffer's that was was nicely sorted) and a new WR250. He ended up going with the WR250. He then spent some time, energy and money getting it to run smooth like a GasGas :) He was quite impressed with how fast the WR250 was, even though he needed it to be smoother for his particular style of riding, but he expected a little more out of the 300's :excuseme: A 6-speed would have been nice, too.

I'm surprised the handling felt similar to you. It seems to me like the GG and the bigger Huskys (not my 144) are pretty far apart in how they feel and how they turn. The GG feels short to me, and the Husky feels long. They're both good, just different :thumbsup:
  3. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    That was one thing I definatelty liked about the gasgas...the feeling of it being shorter. Dont get me wrong its not a bashing thread I was just surprised at the complete diff of feel of the power is all.
  4. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    I've rode one recently. power is smooth, not break neck like a husky of same cc. all husky's feel long to me, even though I reckon my new te is lighter than most, it still feels a tad longer than my ktm and therefore not as sharp turning/change of direction but lots more stable.. a trade off in most bikes...

I didn't like the vibration of the gg300 though, real bad !
  5. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've ridden 3 GG300's. One an 06 that needed a top end and it was way down on power. It felt like a slow kdx220. The other ones were new, 2010 and a 2011. They got your attention in a hurry. No lack of power and the front wheel would shoot for the sky at almost any opportunity when the map switch was set on 'dry'.
    On the 'wet' setting they are like a tamed down jungle cat- more than adequate power, but much more controllable and smooth.
    Also rode a new EC250 - very nice bike.
    GG's are like riding a 7/8 scale bike- a little more compact, lower seat height & very nice in the woods.
    If someone gave me the choice a new free Husky WR250 or a GG EC250 - I'd take the GG hands down. Sorry, but for me it's a way better bike.
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The GG300 of my buddies had lots of power but for sure more flywheel. Was a good bike.
  8. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was considering buying a GG300. The local dealer let me ride his and I got the same engine impression as firecrotch. Thought it was terminally slow and uninspiring, totally turned me off, glad I didn't buy one.