Tag Hill graded - APR2105

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, May 3, 2015.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I really like this aspect of living here ... Mountain roads that are dirt and they do get all gnarly due to lack of maintenance ... Then a grader will show in the dry season and grade them... Not to any spec but enough to make them ridable for the locals .. Almost no traffic on them and you can set your own speed limit. If in my old age I was not such a puss, I'd be down in that valley a few days and nights so no travel time over to this place and all energies are spent on the hill and river valley. Time waits for no man and only seems to speed up as I get older.

I've got the voyager wired now to show engine RPMs ... That will be next ride and should be a little interesting to see how hard the engine is running ... I'll guess now it is 7-9500K range.

The equipment - 010 TC250 Husky and some earth movers ...
    102_2978_result.JPG 102_2994_result.JPG 102_2996_result.JPG

View from the D8 cab..
    102_2985_result.JPG
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    A couple pics from the top side of the valley showing the river below ...

102_3018_result.JPG 102_3020_result.JPG
    I'm gonna see if I can find a entry\exit point to that ridgeline path later ..
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've been riding the hardtop over because my tire was almost toast anyway and now it looks like this ... I'll be needing a new one if it rains ...
    102_3017_result.JPG
    Riding with a tire like this is an exercise in clutch-play to maintain traction ... I'm 100% down with the clutch play...

The road into the valley ..
    102_3008_result.JPG
    Need to do some berm practice here also. I've noticed a few times when I was trying some berm stuff, that when I looked at my tracks, I sometimes would totally miss the berm with my rear-wheel... I need to figure that issue out also.

That's Carabo Hiway 101 at the bottom of the valley ...
    102_3013_result.JPG

Tag Valley ...
    102_3002_result.JPG
    Staying over at night would be as easy as riding up and saying I'll be here all night.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I see these structures all over the place but never saw one in action till today ... It's a coconut drying factory(?)...

102_3001_result.JPG

The coconut meat drying from the fire heat..
    102_2998_result.JPG

Better look at the fire ..
    102_2997_result.JPG

102_3000_result.JPG
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is the new entry pointed I'll use in the future ...It's raw and gnarly... a few small step-ups and of course at a pretty good grade ... When I saw this work, I knew it was gonna be good ...

I'll add that this is a stock suspension and it works well for my 150lbs in most all cases... Nothing plush for me when riding in the dirt as I like some feedback ... But on this road, from top to bottom, I'm starting to feel this is about as fast as I can go and still be safe ... Line choice is very important for me ... There are lots of big rocks, loose rocks, holes ... I get a little deflection from time to time when I'm carrying > 32 MPH? No bottoming and no weird bounces ... I hope to get back over before it starts getting gnarled out with the GPS for recording my speed and engine RPM.

I rode as far as I could and then just had to turn around and ride this top new section before dropping off into the valley.

View: https://youtu.be/gvel9OjHb8k
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Here's the 1st trip I made from the valley back to the top of the ridge line ... I stunk it up a few places but overall all the bike just chewed the hill up ... You can't really see it because my cam is pointed too high but I'm pulling the front tire off the ground lots when going over the small dips and little rollers ... It was '77 again and I was on my 76 model CR250 Husky.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkuhIZy-hA

Lots of those corners are off-camber ... As long as I used the correct technique, I was still able to carve an inside line ... Zero regrets on purchasing so many of the last ITL Huskies made.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Same road but on the day before the pics above were taken ..

This is Mossy Falls ...
    101_2899_result.JPG
    A dry Mossy Falls.

101_2890_result.JPG

101_2900_result.JPG

River is pretty low but is fed by a natural spring apparently ..
    101_2909_result.JPG
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This is another day but I got the RPM meter to work on the voyager ... I just had to attach the wire from device to plug wire really ... The road had a little more work done to it and had rock layed on the top side .. I'm ok with rock but no cement please ... Rock I think is actually better out here as I've seen cemented hills just moss over and as slick as owl dodo ... Not by call ...And once you get cemented, might be a decade before you get back on the list for maintenance.

--

I made 3 trips up and down the place... Video missed on the 2nd one but I still got the RPM data and looks about what I was hoping for... Top RPM just under 9K and I did glance down a few times and maybe 35MPH as top-end showing as GPS speed ..

Here's the google earth view of the road from top to bottom ... And it is a road with traffic laws and all the liabilities that apply ... Even graded, only the top side can most any 4 wheels vehicle carry any speed ... reduce speed to 10-15 MPH, crashes are lots easier to avoid ... I'm probably doing ~25 tops on the corners ... The brakes on the Husky can deal with lots at that speed ESP if on an uphill where you braking is amplified so greatly.

Tag_Hill_RD.jpg
    Never really tried to match the video to the map just yet so I just know the top and bottom of the road but I think that white dot in the upper left is the sweeper right-hander corner I wanna marry I luv so much. Lines through it are unlimited almost. Huge uneven berm on the outside ... pretty good grade pitch ... sort of flat but a little off-camber ... It's in my dreams.
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    First pass details ...
    Tag_Hill_RD_1st.jpg

Engine RPM numbers there at the bottom .. ~8800 MAX ... I can live with that .. I can tell there is more juice up there but to preserve my engine just a little, I shift .. Not sure what the steepest <> numbers are about. 90 degrees ..it was hot and that keeps traffic down ...That's why I ride lots in the heat of the day here.

There was a fiesta there ... Lots of drinking and commerce...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZmDU0TBA4

That contourRoam struggles in direct sunlight and all that white limestone of whatever that stuff is not helping. Gotta turn the camera down a little more ... It's also a wheelie heaven there with all the small rollers and bumps ...
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Second pass details ...
    Tag_Hill_RD_2ndPass.jpg

RPMs a little lower ... Heat the same and most the other numbers are off a little ..Distance can be off but not sure why all the other numbers miss so much ...
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Third pass with video ..

Details
    Tag_Hill_RD_3rdPass.jpg
    This pass was after ~2 liters beer for me over 1.5 hrs(?) .... Elevation numbers are off .. not sure how close it should be really ...

RPMs a little lower and speed is lower ...Heat is down to 85 and if you noticed, lots more people on the road causing me to close the throttle ... If I see guys, I keep it open...Any kids in sight and I shut it down ...

Everything aligned and that Rusi guy was leaving right where we were ... He looks alot like me turning that bike around with only his toes on the ground... That's my riding buddy on the 150 Honda behind him ... I gave them a little head start and was hoping to catch them after that first ugly right-hander ...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrgZ5yF44Y