1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st tank bolt fix?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by schrode, Jun 24, 2010.

1. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

does anybody know of a good fix for making the tank bolt more reliable?

i've broken a few bolts and tried threaded rod with jam nuts. i'm thinking of welding some grade 8 nuts onto the post to shorten the grab point on the bolt and hopefully making the attachment more reliable. i just finished working on the bike and was going to ride tomorrow and the next until the bolt became an issue......again. i guess i'll be riding the xr.....again. this is getting agravating.

this is on an '08 wr250 fwiw, if it matters
  2. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

i'm the only one with this problem? interesting.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Are you talking about the bolt that holds the tank on ?
  4. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    There is only one bolt for the tank on the 250/300, right? At least my '09 300 is that way. I've not had that problem. Hey, schrode, you running the stock tank or something bigger?
  5. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

yeah, the bolt holding the tank on. there's only one. i just broke my 3rd bolt. picked up 2 more a few minutes ago. once these are gone i'll either weld a nut onto the tower or drill and tap the mount up to an 8mm if things keep going the way they have been.

i'm running the ims 3.4, i've been wondering if the extra weight could be contributing to the breakage. but then again i do take alot of soil samples so who knows.
  6. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    I've been running the 3.4 IMS for quite a while and have my share of wheels up moments with no problems. Did you remember to put the rubber spacer on the tank bolt set up?
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the bolt may be too long.

It bottoms then bends then breaks.

Do you loctite yours?

mine backs out.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've never had issues with the tank bolts, but the rear number plate bolt insert is AWOL on my 09'. Anyone know a trick for those? It's the upper rear ones by the seat that have the splined insert that goes into the subframe.....
  9. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1 mine just spin around so i zip tie the side panels on
    now 'ghetto style'
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Attaboy!

You're about as nice to your bikes as I am, so we'll have identical ghetto bikes before too long.
  11. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

I used JB weld or liquid metal to fix, it still seems to be holding and it has been a year. I had to get rid of the stock spacer-washers, they didn't hold my side panels tight to the sub frame and would vibrate.
    You can get replacement nutserts but you have to buy a kit with the tool
  12. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

maybe the bolt is too long. it does bend before breaking, i can tell it's bowed when removing it, usually just before it breaks.

i don't locktite it, never had a problem with it backing out, just breaking.

kzoo....yes i did put the ruber damper/spacers in, although, they are showing some signs of wear/compression. perhaps that is what's causing the bottoming of the bolt and eventual breaking.:confused::confused:
  13. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

i must be super-ghetto then. i have close to a dozen zipties on my bike right now. it used to be closer to 20 until i replaced the rear fender.