1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Tank Leak

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by AC3, Nov 19, 2012.

1. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Street Triple R, KTM 400 EXC
    Dear All,

My WR300 is weeping gas from the left side of the fuel tank. There seems to have been an epoxy resin applied there to stop a leak by the previous owner.

Does anyone have experience on how to reseal the tank. What technique to use and what materials?

Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    You can get it plastic welded...most radiator shops can do it for you.
  3. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is there any way I can plastic weld it myself. What tools or materials do I need?
    I do not think there is such a thing where I live (in Cyprus). I had a look on the internet but not much came up but I will ask around nevertheless.
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    You could do it yourself but it's about the type of plastic that the tank is constructed which will determine the type of plastic welding rod is required.
    Any panel beater/smash repairs in Cyprus? I'm sure they will have one.

Essentially, plastic welder is a modified heatgun and using special plastic compound rod that melt and bond with the plastic which is why it's critical that the right type of plastic is identified or else you get a bond that will collapse when the tank expands.

You can try, after cleaning up the damaged area with carb cleaner, use a soldering iron and melt the cracked area using the surround plastic but be careful as you or I don't know the thickness of the plastic. Also, and just a hunch, if you have the black plastic jerry can/fuel can, butcher pieces from the jerry can and use it as solder - most fuel tanks and black jerry can's are made out of HDPE (high density Polyetheylene).

PS.. make sure you wash the tank out with soapy water a few times, and take the fuel tap and cap off - don't want AC3 being admitted to Cyprus Hospital :thumbsup:
  5. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am going to patch it up with liquid metal first. It was done like this before but, I will do it again for the sake of not wasting time or effort.
    This will be my temporary fix until I find someone who can do it properly, or a new tank.

You're right!! I don't want to blow myself up. Already my riding time takes a huge dent from work. : )
  6. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Suggest brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner as carb cleaner also usually contains a lubricant. Brake cleaner is dry.