TE310R Impressions

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by beck, Mar 4, 2013.

1. beck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R // 2014 Terra 650
    Back story first.

I have been riding for a couple years (10+) and mostly on the street. My friends got me hooked on dirt riding and I was borrowing a trail setup WR450 (suspension, gearing, recluse, etc), this became my normal riding style, basically put the beast in any gear and go, it would tackle pretty much anything on the trail. Now I also knew that I had some short coming in technique and would either avoid major obstacles or go around them... Let's say that that is experience.

Fast forward a couple years and I am done borrowing this bike and determine I need to get one, as I am riding monthly and considering doing hare scramble and enduro's. I am browsing dealerships, conducting some online research and decide upon a TE310R (street legal so I can go trail head to trail head, and also be able to get into Enduro races without the tag/title hassle).

Buy the bike and leave it stock and decide it would be a good idea to take that bike with me to the dirtwise class. I know that I need to better my skills and this is probably the best class out there for this. I can talk in detail about the class, and will say it was the best 2 days of learning I have done on a bike. Ever.

The bike in stock form however was a mistake. There are so many things wrong with the setup that I was losing confidence in my ability to ride. I can't blame that all on the bike, but when the course instructor and land owner offer to let me borrow their bikes so that I can perform better it does make me think twice. I made it through the course, I broke a few things (bike and self) and learned that on this machine, there are adjustments which need to be made.

1. Gearing (stock 13/40 is not practical in the woods). The bike would bog down at anything under 1/2 throttle in 2nd or 1st gear
    2. The BS California emissions restriction crap. Just crap and worthless has to go.
    3. Fuel supply. Under hard braking and down shifting the bike would stall (clutch or no clutch) and sometimes kick over under acceleration and sometime not.

I am posting this not to flame but to ask for assistance. I really like the bike and want to make it my own and use it as a woods tool moving forward (not a chainsaw). So please help me get this setup with some recommendations.

Gearing I am considering going all the way to a 13/50. I ride more in single track tight woods than anything else.
    De-restricting the bike (removing the California crap, should I just pull it off and plug the ports?)
    Fuel supply, is this a problem with the bike in general? Even when I am warming up the bike if I just bring the revs up to 1/2 and drop the throttle to null it will kill the engine. It was suggested that I bring it back to the dealer and have the fuel pressure checked?
    Engine mapping/programing, I was also reading about remap to open up the engine some more to allow for richer fuel mixture.

I want this bike to perform at its full potential, I need to improve my skills and need confidence that the machine I am on will not fail me.
  2. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    1. Derestriction (aka "power up") is an absolute must. Some info here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2013-te310r-velocity-stack.30643/
    2. Fuel supply is not an issue on a derestricted bike.
    3. Bike should have been supplied with a spare 50t rear sprocket and longer chain. If not, get one and use 13/50
    5. Get suspension set up for your weight and riding style... Take it to a good tuner.
    6. Set rear sag 100-110mm
    7. Adjust bars and controls to suit you
    8. Go back and offer that course instructor a ride on YOUR bike so he can perform better
    fasteer and surfer1100 like this.
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Mate the advise above is gold. Follow it, the 310 is a real gem. Do not blame the bike but the crappy emmission requirements
  4. Dana44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Diggin mine but yes break in period is frustrating. Don't give up on it, the bike is fine. My 12' TE310 drove me nuts for the first week but as others stated, power up kit is a must.

Fuel delivery is spotty and dies a LOT in the first 20 to 50 miles. Stock or power up doesn't seem to matter, Just is.
    It will smooth out as the ECU learns how you ride and maps itself.
    Bump idle speed up to around 2100RPM and it will help. May stall once a day but not at every stop. Warm it up with red lever pulled helps too. 91 octane min.

Stock 40T rear sprocket is stupid, I don't why they put that on there at all. Lugs the motor, burns the clutch and there no sweet spot at all. Toss it like a ninja star.
    I swapped a 48T in the rear and I hit 72 MPH at 10K rpm no problem. Good grunt down low. I still ride to work so 50T or 52T is just too low for me.
    US bikes do not come with "extra" parts. Motosportz has husky specific sprockets in various styles and sizes. I just bought a metal skid plate and bar risers from them.
    Monster 140 back tire is heavy. You'll notice when you pull it off for the sprockets, it's FAT. Might swap that out soon for something,lighter.

TE310 is not that tall compared to your typical 450cc MX bike but you may want to lower the rear shock pre-load and slip the forks up an inch.
    If you're under 6 foot or just like touching the ground that 1" makes a big difference.

I come from a supermoto background so I'm used to rock hard springs. This 310 feels way too soft to me, some like it.
    I'm about 200 lbs with gear so I'll be installing some stiffer springs from Race Tech.

Attached Files:

• AA1.JPG
      AA1.JPG
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
    • AA2.JPG
      AA2.JPG
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views:
  5. beck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R // 2014 Terra 650
    Thanks for the feedback.

I just received my replacement parts (fenders and such) as well as the new aluminum skidplates and fuel pump union bolt. 50T rear sprocket is going on also. This weekend maintenance should be awesome, too bad I have to miss the NJ enduro to get this completed though...

There is April's NJ and Delaware enduro, so I should be prepared by then!
  6. Dana44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Just FYI on that 50T. I had to take my chain off a second time yesterday and take 1 more link out after just 2 days of riding.
    Stretched alot more than I expected.
    You'll run out of room to slide that wheel back pretty quick if you start in the middle of the adjustment range on a new chain.
    Boogie likes this.