TE310R Redhead Fuel Tuner Questions

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by JimBob, May 22, 2015.

1. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Hey guys, just looking for some info on EFI Tuners. What can I expect from the $200 JD tuner? Those of you that have it what has your experience been? What performance gains/improvements have you experienced? The Power Commander is much more expensive, what does it do that the JD tuner doesn't? The Bazzaz falls in the middle, how does it compare? I'm not looking to be fiddling with this thing all the time, I prefer to be able to install it, set it and forget it. Obviously I'd prefer to spend as little as necessary, but I don't want to waist my $$$
  2. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    I have a JD tuner on my TE310R. I couldn't find any PC5 options when I bought the bike in 2013. My JD was plug and play. I have map 2 loaded(didn't realize there was a map 3 until it was too late and nearest dealer is 5 hrs away). Have an FMF powercore slip on and with map 2 had a bit of popping on decel before I put the JD unit on. The default settings in the tuner were good for me and I have not felt the need to fiddle with it at all. Bike runs hard and clean. I am probably jinxing myself but I have 1800 off-road miles on this bike(total of maybe 80 miles of pavement), I have raced it supermoto, but most of the miles were single-track and it has been flawless.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    For all the costs you also may want to consider to buy the TXC310R ECU plug it in and ride. A simple remap if you want a change on that ECU.
  4. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    I think I'm running the same map as the TXC. I believe that was part of the power up service. I'm quite certain I'm running map 2, same as LAHuskyrider.
    LaHusky, did you notice any improvement in the bottom end performance due to the JD tuner? Mostly I'd just like to have about 10% more grunt down low, the bike is fast enough already once you get the revs up.
  5. bigjon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC410 2000 TE410 2008 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJR 1300 Polaris 500
    2008 510 needed it. Get it and you will be happy. It should come already set for your machine, but you can adjust it. My biggest issue was the hesitation problem. Now, no issues, I want more power, just twist my wrist a little more and hang on.
  6. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    I felt the JD Tuner gave the bike more bark in the lower revs. I came off 20 yrs of riding YZ250 two-strokes so I was missing that ability to pop the front wheel over obstacles with just the throttle. With the FMF slip on and the tuner, I can lift the front wheel pretty easy in the bottom 2 gears with 13/47 gearing. I've wondered if I could get more with some fiddling but whenever I get on the bike, it runs good so I tend to follow my Dad's advice: "don't kick the sleeping dog".
  7. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    If you run Map 2 probably optimum map for the TE though not completely sure if Map 3 alters ignition timing along with richer low end fueling. JD makes sense and they have settings from dyno testing I believe. The PCV and Autotune is a luxury and quite effective. The slight premium of just getting the PCV will provide more control, though you may never use the added features. Since I had dyno runs at Dynojet and created various maps (based upon map 3), one would not need Autotune as one could manually transcribe the table data or load the map/s.

If running the stock pipe, etc... With the PU done asses whether it has any issues as far as current fueling, such as bad starting at high elevations or popping on decell, low speed stalls, etc... If all is good but you want a bit of latitude to tune a little, the JD might make sense. Really it's your call though if you need it or just to tinker. May be worth isolating if you indeed have Map 2 or 3. Most probably load Map 2 but some tune for racing and possibly an aftermarket pipe, so Map 3. PCV + Autotune means you ride off into the sunset with your dynomometer under the seat making the changes for you till just right. That alone saves you any trips for service/tuning that do add up.
  8. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would have gone with PCV in a heartbeat if there was one offered at the time I was setting up my 310(June/2013) but none was offered and I am nowhere near DynoJet. I have a PCV on my 630 and loaded the Zip-Ty map(free on this website courtesy of Tinken) for it and it rips. No need for the autotune as the homework was done for me.
  9. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Bought the JD Power Surge 6x. Easy plug and play, nice boost to performance especially in low-mid range. Had a decel popping issue but found my head pipe flange bolts had worked a little loose. Re-torqued them and popping reduced a bunch. Rode an enduro last weekend and bike ran superb. No flame outs, seemed to run a little cooler and powered up some pretty steep hills without issue. All things cosidered I think it was well worth the $$$. I'm running JD's settings and don't see any need to fiddle.
    bigjon and AndrewS like this.
  10. Jabba 2013 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    JimBob
    I have a 2013 TE 310 - Map 3 leo vince or open pipe map installed - open air cage mod & removed cat - bike runs strong
    purchased a JD tuner and installed - what are good settings to run - trying to get over a 1st gear single track flame out ?
    thanks
  11. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic/Ducati SFV2
    I would try removing a bit of fuel at low revs from idle to 15%. Very slight richness Which contributes to popping and flame out. Stock was too lean and map3 3 rich at low speed with stock pipe (cat removed). I dialed mine in with the PCV and Autotune and my advice based on my revised maps and trims.