1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

TE510 to a WR300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by kjclark7, Aug 15, 2012.

1. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    i figured i would post this hear since i'm looking for info on the wr300. i am fairly new to the dirtbike scene (just over a year riding dirtbikes) and my current bike is a 08 te510. overall, i've been very happy with the te510. its got great power, it can chug along or go fast if need be. but one thing i'm not loving is the weight of the bike. i weighed it not that long ago and with a half a tank of gas (ims tank) and the usual protection (7602 radiator braces, hyde racing skid plate and hand guards) the bike weighed in at 315lbs.
    so i've been looking at getting something that is a lot lighter for the woods riding i'm doing. i live in northern nj so rocky single track is very common over here. and with that kind of riding, the 510 is a bit of a handful. i'm a fairly big guy (6'5" 220 lbs) but after a few hours of riding, it starts to get heavy.
    first i started looking at the te310 but i'm afraid that coming off a 510, that the lack of bottom end on the 310 would be a problem. i may be wrong since i have not ridden one before.
    so someone mentioned to look at the wr300. doing some reading, it seems like the 300 acts like a 4 stroke and has decent low end and doesn't hit hard like other 2 strokes.
    so would this be a good fit for what i'm looking for? how do these 2 bike compare with each other.
    also having very mininal to no experience with riding 2 strokes, what should i expect?
  2. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

DOESNT HIT HARD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HA !!!

youd be very happy with the 310. a 250 wouldnt be a bad choice for that matter either. youll learn a lot more riding a small bore than a big bore. i started with a yz400f, then a kx250 but didnt start learning clutch control and body english till i was on my 144.

im on a 300 now and they have alot of power and a good amount of hit. itll be lighter then your 510 though.
  3. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    is the 300 more power than the 510?
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Plenty of low end and mid range hit from the 300. I personally wouldn't want to ever buy a two stroke that behaved like a four stroke. That would just be scandalous and counterproductive against the sweet and wonderful nature of a two stroke engine.:D
    R-J van Hulst, windsurf and Gotlabs like this.
  5. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    being green to the whole 2 stroke thing, i'm looking for any feedback. all i have ever ridden was 4 stroke engines so i'm not sure about this 2 stroke thing. just going off of what i've heard from others.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You ride a two stroke differently than a four stroke. You can use the throttle like little artistic brush strokes to apply the smooth and instant power where ever you need it.:banana:
  7. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Interesting thread. My husband and I have been considering replacing one of our four strokes with a two stroke. He started out on two strokes, but I have almost zero two stroke experience. After a summer of replacing cam chains, cam bearings, shimming valves and misc. other four stroke responsibilities, I'm kinda interested in an easier to maintain bike. :cool:
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The fourstrokes have gotten lighter and lighter and in the process longivity (<$$) has suffered. A clean running, low weight and low maintainance 2 stroke seems like a very good alternative.
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    My 300 has no hit. Just linear power until its finally gets all the inertia spinning fast enough and then its a rocket ship. It's an 09' with PWK 38 (CEL needle) and pro circuit plat. II exhaust system. Smooth as butter, yet open class fast.

2 strokes like to be steered with the rear. So much fun its hard to put into words.
    If you're accustomed to 4T's then its gonna take some time to adapt, but dont let this scare you off. Nothing worthwhile is easy.
  10. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    300+throttle control=heaven in the woods on two wheels. I really can't for the life of me figure out the "hit" that people complain about. Everytime I race my 3 honey and pass countless pumpkins, wait.....maybe that's the "hit" everyone is talking about. Like a drug, yeah....riding my 300 is akin to the feeling I use to get from drinking. I can't say enough good things about the WR300, whether it be the highly outdated chasis, or the over powering outdated motor, or the cushy outdated suspension, maybe it's the lack of modern electric starting since mine must have a flaw being so easy to start. OMG I ramble, like a teenager in love for the first time......yes I love my Husqvarna WR300. :D
    Dirtdame likes this.
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I went from a ktm525 to my wr 300. Overall "feel" they seem similar in power. I miss the four stroke and love them but the simplicity and cheapness and reliability of the 2 smoker was a winner for me. It's nice just cleaning air filter, adjusting q couple things and go every weekend. I always fretted about valves on the ktm and all that complexity just added to things to breakdown. My wr has been "boringly" good.it needs nothing and runs awesome day and day out. What more could you want?
  12. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    so i'm hearing there is and isn't a "hit" from the power band. so i guess i need to ask how the overall power of the 510 compares to the 300?
    how much weight difference is there between the two bikes? not on paper difference but real world difference. anyone with a wr300 care to weight their bikes? like i said before, mine weights roughly 315 with a half tank full (ims tank), radiator guards, hand guards, plastic skid plate.
    so do you really ride a 2 stroke differently than a 4? like i said, i'm new to 2 strokes so if this is an obvious thing that everyone knows, i'm sorry i asked.
  13. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    The 300 is a handful, and yet manageable at the same time. The first 10 or so hours was messy for me, having never ridden a 2t, but after that it turned all around. I came off a DR-Z400: also 320lbs. That bike had a very easy engine, just so easy to ride. The 300 engine is nearly as easy to ride in my opinion. Yep, it hits, but you'll get used to it. Then you'll really love to ride!

The ergonomics of the bike aren't even comparable. You need to buy this particular bike because it was made for our size (6'6" 225lbs). The only chassis mod I've done is to flip the footpegs for my size 15 foot. Now it fits great. I don't even need bar risers.
  14. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510

thats good to hear. i do like how tall the 510 is with my height. i did add a pair of rox risers to make standing more comfortable and i flipped the pegs lowering them a little.
    if the power is similar between the 2 bike but the wr is much much lighter, it seems like the bike. it would be nice to try one out just to see though.
    what gearing are you guys running for hilly, rocky, single track terrain? currently i have 13/50 on my 510 with a rekluse clutch. if i do get a wr, one positive is that the rekluse can be swapped over!!!
  15. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    247lbs Fully fueled, alum skid plate, barkbusters, pipe guard, dual sport accessories (horn, lights, handlebar controls, taillight pod) I'd imagine it's around 240 stripped to bare minimum running goodies. Real world riding is the difference between waving your arm side to side with a huge stick in your hand (4t) or empty (2t). The bike reacts much quicker to input, in a good way.

If you graph the power production of a 4t it looks like a nice soft curve, kind of like a surfing wave. With a 2t, it's more like a launch ramp, without such a smooth transition. Yes, there is a "hit" but you can jet that out (carb adjustments).

Coming off the super smooth DR-Z was a little different, but it is so worth relearning how to manage your power.
  16. kjclark7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510
    over 70 lbs difference....thats a huge difference. i guess i'll have to re-learn how to ride then.
    what kind of gearing you running giantjoe?
    is the "hit" low in the curve or midrange?
  17. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

if your not used to a 2 stroke your going to find a hit on the wr i promise. its not as bad as some ive been on but its got quite a bit more snort then a ktm 300.

that said if your dead set going to get a wr then there are some options for throttle cams if you find youd like to tame it a little. a fly wheel weight will help out with smoothing power delivery as well.

for what its worth: i still want to own a 165 (stroked AND bored), but i hate keeping up 2 bikes.
  18. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Stock gearing. I was trying to find a video of what we're riding with the Husky, but all I can find is this one of the DR-Z. It's old, and I really sucked back then, but that's our terrain. I'd say 1/3 throttle is where I expect the power to really come on, but if you expect it, it's not a big deal.
  19. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

also, to me the wr is a funny handling package, if its tight and nasty the bike is fine to be ridden standing. in the fast and open your going to be taking wider lines then other bikes.

i like the suspension (2011) once sprung. was told by halls to back the compression all the way out and this cured my harshness complaints.

the are hill climbing and hole shot machines. also i havent found to many bikes i cannt out run in a open striaght. not sure about a top speed but it pulls forever.
  20. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

oh and i have 13/50 gearing fwiw.