1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc te510 to new wr 125 ? thinking about it..

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rabskyline, Nov 30, 2009.

1. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    okay.. heres my dilemma... i am 68kg(150lbs ish) and considering a wr125... why ? i was looking on net for te510 parts and found a dealer selling an 09 with soem goodies fitted :p(bike has zero miles) for 8000 aud (around 7K US) . so my questions are of this ilk...

power ?
    weight ?
    handling compared to my te510 ?
    i dont want to run out of power/grunt and ride almost totally woods and forest trails ?

te510 tires me a bit as she is a brute so thinking i might like something that isnt going to wear me out so much but also have enough poke and ability to have a ball in the trails !

it will cost me 2 grand to change over.. just dont want to make the wrong move...:confused:
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have ridden or owned all the husky models and sizes. Went from a 08 TXC450 to a 09 WR125. The 510 to the 125 is going from the biggest off road model to the smallest. the WR125 is a great bike but so different from your 510. The 125 has little bottom end and feels like it weighs nothing. It is super fun but you need to be a good rider and be willing to crawl all over it like a monkey to make it work, not a lazy guy bike. What it will do is reward you with super fun, and unreal handling.

To answer your questions directly:

- Power, the 125 has very little bottom end power, OK mid and rips on top. Needs very low gearing for really tight and steep stuff but does very well. I can climb anything anyone else can it just takes more work and clutch.

- Weight, It will feel like it weighs as much as the seat on your 510. It is bordering on to light. I can get deflected and thrown around in the rocks. Feels like a mountain bike.

- Handling, One of the best handling bikes i have ever ridden. Steers amazingly well, makes the trails feel huge, take any line you want, fantastic.

so if you think you can deal with the lack of power as a trade off for other goodness it might work for you.

If you want the best of both worlds get the 2010 TXC250. 125 light 300 strong.
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I also have a WR 250 TE510 amd a CR125 The 125 gets ridden the most yet i feel no
    problem with the lower end power .Gear it down to a 52 tooth in the rear and it works
    well for me .The only place it lacks power is in deep sand otherwise all other places it works
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have the 09 TXC 510 and the 08 CR125. My 510 is now a dust collector LOL. The 125 with the 52 rear works very well in the woods and I am not a very good woods rider. With the 125 it's like riding a mountain bike in the woods. I mostly ride MX with it and have a ball. As K said the power difference is HUGE not so much in the outright speed you can obtain on the 125 but how you get there. So if you like to grunt your way through the woods stay with the 510. Now if you like to make your own lines, dart around, and have a more rider/bike envolvement then try a 125. I might add I think K is also right in that with the new 2010 TC/TXC 250 you can have both worlds and when I get my next bike it will be the 2010 TC250.
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

One more super plus to the 125 is all around cost .The cost to purchase is much less
    then to keep it going is also less .I went 4 years on a 2006 CR 125 before we rebuilt the lower end .That is also after 2 National #1 plates in 2 different classes regular 125 a and over 50 a Now after 4 years it got new lower end bearings but still on the same stock bore .also only 2 clutches in 4 years .All the drive tran last longer too try to wear out a chain and sprocket takes a year .Tires go alot longer to the list goes on and on
    I do like my 510 but i love my 125
  6. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I agree with Kelly :thumbsup:

Pretty well sums up all. I love my 510, not a great woods bike but still "doable" You really have no idea how much bike you're throwing around till you get on a 125. The bike weights nothing in comparison. Once you get to the power band the bike rips like no other.

But... it has very little bottom end.:thumbsdown: You are constantly shifting, clutching looking for power that is not there til higher RPM's It is not a lazy mans bike. Unlike the 510 or my TXT 280 trials, when you twist the throttle you get a response and it makes you happy.:D

The 125 takes a lot of effort to ride. It is unforgiving, You can't afford any mistakes or it will leave you flat on you face clutching and searching for a lower gear.
    If you get by all that and ride it like you stole it. You'll have lots of fun.
    But it is always buzzing like a bee. Not galloping like a horse.
    :cheers:
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I find keeping the 125 going very fun and not very hard to do. My son thinks I make my 125 sound like a 4-stroke pulling with a 2-stroke noise. I think that means I can keep the bike going without the small bore bogg.
  8. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    good feedback thanks... i was expecting the "oh no yer mad " comments but no, thanks !

the txc isnt road registerable here in QLD so would need to be the new te250 which i love too but at this time of year, its a no no due to extra costs.. will put mine up for sale and see what happens ! thanks again guys, great info !
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I went from an '01 TE400 to an '02 WR125 and never looked back. My '09 WR125 is even better. Great in the tight and technical. It may give up some in the open, but just pin it and grin! When other guys are on the brakes at the sight of an upcoming tight section.... you're still on the throttle. Best value price wise in the husky line up. No way I could afford a new TE. With Heroes Deals and dealer discount I got the '09 at the start of the season for what dealers are discounting them to now in the US.:D
  10. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    interesting.... i reckon it would be a hoot ! gonna try and get a ride on some new bikes soon and see whats what... but still loving the te510 for now, its such a good bike...