The first ride for my 310

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by mnb, Mar 13, 2011.

1. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I probably should have taken her out for dinner and a movie before her first ride, but we were both pretty eager, so I skipped the formalities.

After a brief trip to a friends shop in Salinas to investigate robustifying the worthless piece of junk they call a kickstand on the '08+ Huskies, I headed up to Hollister Hills.

Being so excited, and despite a mental reminder the night before, I completely forgot to check the air in my new M404 tires. The rear end was all over the place. The front wasn't so bad, but in general, I had a very uneasy feeling on the bike. Once a friend suggested checking the air when I mentioned the feeling, I discovered 17psi front and 27 rear. Well, that explains much! I set it at 15/16 and went back out.

IMG_0821.jpg
    (no, that's not me in the picture)

MUCH better! While I wasn't remotely ripping it up, partially due to my injury and partially because I suck, I felt much more comfortable on the bike and my speed was probably 50% higher. And despite all good sense, I even did a blue trail at the end of the day. I told myself if I rode, I'd stick to greens because I thought standing up too much would flex the tendon and reinjure it. All in all, it did pretty well.

So did the bike. Although I'm not fond of the EFI mapping. Rough would be a good word. Even when it's warm. It even died on me once in neutral, for christ's sake. And when it's warm, it's a bit fussy to start. It takes a while to warm up before you can release the choke, which springs back unless you keep holding it. This is VERY annoying.

And yeah, the seat is like sitting on a 2x4. We'll be fixing that at some point. And why does Husky keep using foam that so effectively translates the engine vibrations to your nadz? Both my Husky's stock seats had this problem. They'd start to get numb, too. My XPC seat solved that problem on the 610. But anyways... TMI...

Anyways, I had a great day riding. I still have a lot to learn and a little ways to go to get fully comfortable on the bike, but I was driving home with a grin on my face.

[IMG]

IMG_0820.jpg
  2. MuddyMan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250
    Sounds like you had a nice day.

As for the not so smooth EFI, it is probably a mapping problem or just that the bike needs to get broken in before it will run silky smooth.

Best of luck and congratulations.
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    For the most part, the EFI wasn't really a problem. I'm just being detail oriented. I do Quality Assurance testing for a living, so it's my job to notice details.

I'm definitely loving the bike. The two people that I let ride it on Saturday (albeit their rides were brief) were very enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately, I was not the first person to wheelie this bike. Damn, you, Robert!

Time and weather permitting, I plan to get out and ride as much as I can. Still going easy because of the foot injury, though. But it doesn't bother me at all because I'm having a great time and that's really all that matters. In time, if I'm careful, things will heal, my confidence will improve and I can wick it up a bit more. In the mean time, I'll be developing a good feel for how the bike responds. Hopefully I can get to the point where the bike is like an extension of myself. Then I'll be able to utilize what skills I have to their fullest potential.

So, with limited ride time, but finally some dirt... I'm giving this bike 4.5 out of 5 wheelies. I'd give it 5 if it started easier, had smoother efi and the kickstand wasn't a piece of junk.

More testing will be necessary before the long term report is ready.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Let her settle down a bit, when you get to say 500 kms get her serviced (always cut back on service intervals when de restricted) have the valves checked and do the remapping. My bike currently runs 105, 104 and 102 and it runs really well. It came set up at 100 X 3. Much better off the bottom, no bog but has more grunt.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Your kickstand looks exactly like the one on my WR and the one on my buddy Dan's `11 TE310. I think it's a pretty nice piece! In fact, I tease Eric about it all the time because mine is so much more refined than the one on his WR250. Is it the angle you don't like? You're not using it to get on and off the bike, are you? If so, that's not what they're for!

Looks like it was a nice day at Hollister [IMG]
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It looks nice, but the angles make it weak. A slight tug on the seat and you can see it bend. If I were to put a giant loop on it and load up for a trip, it feels like the stand would snap in half before I was back from my trip.

It's really not that hard to make a robust kickstand. Most bikes had them not long ago. The simple, straight bar on my TE610 is incredibly solid. I'd love it if it were simple and strong like that one. I could load up for a trip without fear of the bike being on its side if I park wrong on a windy day.

I knew I wouldn't like the stand when I bought the bike, but it's not like I had a choice. It is better than a KTM stand, I'll give it that. But that's not a rousing endorsement by any stretch... [IMG]
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    You let someone else wheelie your girl first...OMG....

The stalling etc and otherwise annoying behavior of the FI will dissipate and at 20 hours or so you should be trouble free there.
  8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I know! Robert had done some work on it to eliminate some of the slop in the stand and then he took it for a quick spin in the lot. I couldn't say no. He is an extremely experienced street and dirt rider of like 40-50 years. He's a track day instructor, too. So I trusted him. And hell, I'd have wheelied it too if I was any good at doing wheelies, so can you blame him? Just that short 500ft ride or so was enough for him to break a big smile and say it was a really nice bike. I knew it was, but it's reassuring when people with extensive experience agree with you.

Cool, I hope you're right. It's not a huge issue, but it is a little fussy. Once I aired down the tires, I was feeling pretty good on it. I wish my foot was in better shape, I wanted to stand up more and ride a lot more. I'm lovin' the bike! :)
  9. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I ALWAYS let the bike warm up for 3 min....I even time it. My bike will flame out still if I just head out cold. 3 min. seems to cure that item.
  10. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Well, I have to hold that starter lever or it dies. I need to shim it or something so it'll stay open.
  11. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    The lever you are talking about is a fast idle lever for cold starts only. My 250 needs it too, when cold for about 1 minute then it'll hold an idle. Your bike is still on the stock mapping if your pictures are accurate. I see the O2 sensor installed and connected and the Octopus emissions cannister there. It's most likely running quite lean and will be temperamental when still breaking in. Will probably run much differently once you convert to the power up mapping, most do. If needed, you can bump the idle speed up by turning the idle adjustment screw located on the right side of the throttle body near the rear shock reservoir. Clockwise to increase. Have patience, they get friendlier with time. The kickstand is WAY better than the 2008-2009 versions, FWIW. I am glad to have this one, but I'm not looking to mount bags nor am I standing on the bike with the stand holding it up. Have fun and keep posting.
  12. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Right, it doesn't need the lever when warm. The idle varies a fair amount, but that's normal for a digital readout. It's pretty much idling, when warm, at 1900rpms, which is correct.

It is not on stock mapping. It's been powered up. The display says Race Map 1 and Race Map 2 when choosing fuel maps. It may look like there's a sensor there and that it's connected, but that's not the case.

I haven't removed the charcoal cannister, but it has zero effect on performance. I did pick up a cap at Kragen's tonight, so that cannister's relationship with my 310 is all but over.

I probably won't mount bags on mine, but I'm leaving the door open on that down the line. Initially it will be a dirt bike for me, but it's role might expand into dual sport later on. We'll see.
  13. DG Harv Serv Husqvarna
    AA Class

Think of the fast idle lever as a choke ! On most bikes you have to pull out the choke and let it warm up !

I also have a 2011 TE310 , now with 18 hours , It was a little "boggy" at first at the very bottom , but now after using it for 10+ hours and changing CO1 to 95 , bike is now perfect ( Powered up from day 1 ) .

As for the stand , it is now good ! (you should have tried a 2008 !) . Has it been modified or does it "flick up" when you take weight of it ? If its not modified cut the "knob" of the pivot bolt . (Im sure there are posts here on how to do this ) this makes it much safer .

You have to remember you have purchased a Racing Enduro Bike not a tourer !
  14. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeah, I know. This isn't my first Husky. [IMG]

But the lever snaps back. Every other starter lever and choke I've had would stay out. Of course, you ran the risk of forgetting to shut it off, but at least you didn't have to sit there holding the lever for a minute or two. It's not a major deal, but it is friggin annoying.

Just sayin...
  15. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    My 11' 310 doesn't even need the lever to start up or idle.Mine is powered up and idles at 2200rpm so never have an issue (but in OZ we never get as cold as the USA)
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I've heard some owners say having the idle high like that smooths things out on the bottom. Did you set it that high or did the shop? Have you tried it turned down and do you notice any issues.?
  17. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    It was set like that from the shop on day one. I don't seem to have any of the flat spotting issues being reported. No I haven't tried to slow it down, why break something that's working? I will be taking it in for it's first service soon and will get them to check the mapping settings as it seems to "pop" a lot on overrun.