The Lure Of The High Sierra

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Sep 11, 2011.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Labor Day was fast approaching, and we were preparing for our annual trip to the deserts of northwest Nevada and southeast Oregon. Our campervan had other plans for us, though, so at the last minute we decided to stick closer to home and go back down to the Sierra National Forest. We'd spent our 2-week vacation there just 4 weeks prior, and even though I was extremely disappointed to be missing the desert there was a teeny tiny little part of me that was shouting with joy to be returning to the land of high elevation granite. We were joined by our friend Mark on his XR440 and Eric's twin brother Max riding my KTM 450. We would be camping like mere peasants in our trusty cargo van, with Max in his truck and Mark in his van. This was the chosen spot, a deserted dome of granite at about 7500'...
    [IMG]

Max was pretty happy with his spot...
    [IMG]

We spent the rest of the day setting up camp, gathering firewood and playing in the creek...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Mark arrived first thing in the morning and we quickly loaded up for the day's ride...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

First stop was the White Bark Vista Point at the start of the Dusy Ershim Trail. We briefly discussed doing it on our big bikes. Absurd, eh? Heh...
    [IMG]

Eric, me and Mark...
    [IMG]

We stopped at Mono Hot Springs but it was warm out already and we weren't into hot water at the moment...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We goofed around on the Bear OHV Trail...
    [IMG]

Then found ourselves a secluded little campspot right on a lake...
    [IMG]

We hit the water right away...
    [IMG]

Mark was digging the granite...
    [IMG]

The water was fantastic...crystal clear and not cold at all! I was in heaven...
    [IMG]

Mark thought it was freezing...
    [IMG]

Everyone was pleased with the day...
    [IMG]

We hit the sack pretty early after hanging by a rip-roarin' campfire, all of us looking forward to whatever the next day would bring.

4 more days to come :)
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  2. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Awesome photos of course! I could swear that is Erics twin brother that your holding hands with. :)

Went trail riding there some years ago. It's amazing how close you really are to Mammoth Mt. as the crow flies.

Jim
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, Jim! I want to hear all about your trip to Nevada...especially since I missed my own trip this year :(

Eric and Max used to look exactly alike...I mean carbon copy alike. I met them 24 years ago when I worked in a motorcycle shop. They were both carpenters and would both come in at about the same time of day wearing the same kinds of clothes. I only knew which one was which by what kinds of parts they needed...Max raced a Yamaha and Eric raced a Honda :D

Too bad you can't actually get to Mammoth Mt anymore as the crow flies. Too much wilderness in the way.
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The next morning I scrambled up the granite in hopes of catching the sunrise but I was a few minutes too late...
    [IMG]

I liked being up on the granite bluff above the lake...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We ate a light breakfast then got outta Dodge...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I couldn't wait to cross the river after Mark, Eric and Max...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It was just as pretty on the other side...
    [IMG]

How many union carpenters does it take to filter a Camelbak full of water?
    [IMG]

The hardest working water in the west, as we run into another diversion dam at the deadend...
    [IMG]

Let's check it out!
    [IMG]

I swear my bike feels bigger than it looks...
    [IMG]

We turn around, head down another side road deadend and find this little gem...
    [IMG]

Someone was kind enough to take a photo of me on the way back across the river...
    [IMG]

Lot of water in these mountains...
    [IMG]

The arches that make up the dam are pretty spectacular from below.
    Wish I'd gotten a photo of the ones that were 15 stories tall...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Ride while you can, folks...
    [IMG]

Coming up, some actual dirt riding!
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We decided to hit the Brewer Lake Trail and make camp down at the lake. The trail was a tad rocky in places...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It got a little dicey at the top but I kept it on two wheels...til I parked the bike, of course...
    [IMG]

Max did a good job on my KTM with a little direction from Eric...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

We'd wanted to camp at Brewer Lake and swim in the unusually warm water but it looked like there was a fishing derby down there. The lake was ringed with anglers and Mark rightly suggested that it didn't seem right to jump in and scare all the fishies away. We headed back to base camp

Ya know that deserted dome we were camped on? Heh...deserted no more. Seems there was a jeep event going on, and we were on the far end of the staging area for it. I wondered why there were porta-potties where once there were none. They were awesome, though. We never heard them and didn't really see them since we were so far down on the end of the dome.
    Wish I'd gotten a photo of the Camel Trophy Defender.

We hit the creek right away to wash off the dirt and grime. I loved the way the water would slip beneath the surface of the rock through a crack, only to emerge a few feet later through another crack...
    [IMG]

No, they're not dead...they just look like it...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I walked down the creek til it opened up and got even more interesting...
    [IMG]

We cut some firewood, hauled it back up the hill and then had a tasty dinner of martinis, Pasta Carbonara and grilled rib-eyes :thumbsup:\

We decided to hit the Bald Mt Trail early the next morning, then mosey on down south and find a nice spot to camp. We skedaddled out of there in a hurry after hearing that the jeepers were leaving shortly for Bald Mt, too. We got up there pretty early...
    [IMG]

Dang...I look tall in my gear, eh?
    [IMG]

Nice views all around...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

After a brief discussion, it was decided we'd take the "easy" way down as opposed to the "hard" way. I'd ridden both on my dirtbikes before, and had ridden the "easy" way on my SV650. Max and Eric head back down...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Guess what? After some nefarious route-finding on Eric's part we ended up descending via the "hard" way...surprise, surprise...and the way down also involved quite a bit of "up," too...
    [IMG]

More sandy slippy granite on the way...
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    (I tried to resize my photos after I uploaded them to PhotoBucket but it was an excercise in frustration and it took f o r e v e r ...sorry!)

The "hard" way wasn't really that bad, just a little more exciting than the "easy" way...
    [IMG]

Hmm...I always get a little concerned when I see someone waiting for me with camera in hand...
    [IMG]

I remember this spot...I rode it twice on my dirtbikes and I almost went over the bars on the GasGas. The transition between the rock and the ground is really abrupt, and I didn't feel like attempting it on the 610 with less travel, less ground clearance and 150 more pounds plus camping gear...
    [IMG]

I didn't really want to ride back up the steep slidey steps that I'd just ridden down either...
    [IMG]

Maybe it won't look so bad if I sidle on up to the edge all easy-like...
    [IMG]

I must be getting a little more mature in my old age (I know..."finally!")
    [IMG]

For the record, that MT60 front never ever broke traction. And just so you know, Eric took the easy way around:p
    [IMG]

Ok, next up: some scritchy downhill granite followed by some scritchy uphill granite...I'm starting to see a pattern, here...Eric on his way down with Mark waiting on the other side...
    [IMG]

Max makes it with no drama...
    [IMG]

I think I'll take a different line...
    [IMG]

I ran outta talent...er, I mean line...before the sharp turn...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I made it down without hitting the deck, which is always the goal...
    [IMG]

Looking back at where we'd just been...
    [IMG]

And a glimpse of where we're going...down the granite, through the creek, up the rocky dirt section, jog to the right and then left up the granite that can be clearly seen to the right of the dead tree...
    [IMG]

A zoomed-in shot of Mark heading up...
    [IMG]

I'll post more later when PhotoBucket quits emulating a glacier and returns to normal operating speeds... :mad:
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Awesome. Must have been the best trip ever as Eric SMILED :eek:
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh, dude! Just wait!! I actually got a couple more where he's smiling! Maybe we just need to bring his friends and his brother with us from now on :busted:

It was an awesome trip. Our last campspot on top of Voyager Rock on the Dusy Ershim Trail was the best campspot ever!
  9. jckid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Previsouly owned: SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, KLX351, CT110
    Wow! You impress me on your 610. The places you ride it. I'd be flat on my face (and probably even on my little KLX)! Awesome pics as always. Looks like a lot of fun.
  10. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    Sooo cool...love them all...I'm using the pics as back ground on my laptop...awesome
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Eh, don't be impressed. I ain't anything special, I'm probably just a lot stoopider than the average SM610 rider :o Anything can be ridden anywhere, pretty much...as long as the rider has some basic skills and a willingness expand their view of what's possible and what's not. A good attitude helps, too :lol:
    Thanks for the kudos on the photos. I'm becoming impressed with Eric's photos. I bought him a new camera like mine and now I look better in my own ride reports :busted:

Right on! Thanks dave :thumbsup:
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

As I work another of many weekends without time off after all full weeks, it is really nice to sit back and view and read your adventures before I start another smoke filled day. Thank you so much!
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ok, now where were we...? Oh yeah, crossing the creek and climbing the granite on the other side...

The creek crossing went well, and the granite was almost as sticky as slickrock...
    [IMG]

Can you see Max in the dirt section behind me?
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Max making me look bad...
    [IMG]

He took a better smoother line than I did towards the end, too...
    [IMG]

Arrghh...I hate it when that happens...
    [IMG]

Just between you and me, I think Max was appreciative for the rest...
    [IMG]

A few miles down the road we're back at it again...
    [IMG]

3rd time's a charm!
    [IMG]

A sheriff came up behind us as we pulled over to fix the flat and he started asking us if we'd been riding cross country (ya know, off-trail, not like riding from Maryland.) He asked us several times where we'd been, we told him several times where we'd been, and he asked us again if we'd been riding cross-country in a spot we already said we hadn't been. I got kinda testy and said "No!" He got defensive and said "I'm just askin'" I told him we don't ride off-trail. I shoulda said, "Dude...we're on street bikes, fercrissakes...does it look like we've been riding cross-country??" but I didn't. He was explaining that there had been reports of 4 dirtbikers riding off-trail up the road a piece and just then 4 dirtbikes rode by on the paved road, 2 plated 4-strokes and 2 non-plated 2-strokes. I said, "I think those are your boys" with a really smug and self-satisfied voice and he took off like a bat outta hell after them. I'm pretty sure he got the right guys.
    We took some fun paved twisties for a bit and ended up down at the gate to the Dusy Ershim Trail. Now, I've ridden the Dusy a few times before, and I wouldn't even think about riding my 450 on that trail, much less my SM610. It's pretty much trials bike territory...or at least a lightweight 2-stroke with good ground clearance and a trials tire.
    So, here I am on my way to the Dusy Ershim. I made it through all the rock gardens and steps and everything, only to get hung up on this stupid plastic water bar thingy...
    [IMG]

Ahh...now we're in the fun stuff!
    [IMG]

Here comes Max and Eric...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Mark is still grooving on the granite...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Ooh...I forgot about this part...
    [IMG]

Once I get through the rocks, though, my reward is a huge wall of sticky granite...
    [IMG]

More in a minute...
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kinda like what I was saying about you when you were off work in the winter and riding in warmer climates! :D
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    So, yeah...the wall of granite...coolest thing ever! It's kinda steep and intimidating in a "what if..." kind of way, even though I've been up and down it before on my dirtbikes. Yes, the camera is level...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

It levels out a little bit...
    [IMG]

Then climbs again up to the top...
    [IMG]

Here comes Max!
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I can't believe how happy we all are to be right here, right now, at this moment...and on such a glorious day!
    Life is good :thumbsup:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Everyone wanted to ride down the trail to get to the water and find a spot to camp. I wanted to camp on top right where we were. I remembered what the trail was like and wanted no part of it on the 610. I knew Thompson Hill was at the bottom (google it) and I knew what a challenge it was on my 200lb 2-stroke 280 tractor-bike. Mark and Eric (on my 450) went to check it out and came back within minutes.
    Looks like we're camping on the rock :applause:

The coolest campsite ever will have to wait til tomorrow, I'm going to bed. G'night!
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Wow... That is the most rock I've ever seen covering the earth in one place ... We're you tempted to roll one of those big rocks down the hill?
  17. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

lmao ray, i was thinkin the same thing when i seen them
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    No, but dang! I wish I'd thought of it! It's a place where you don't want to leave your helmet sitting around, that's for sure :D

There's a ton of exposed granite in the Sierra range, but most of the really dramatic stuff is either designated wilderness (therefore inaccessible to us) or in national parks like Yosemite. This place is special because we can play on it and there's a ton of it all along the 32-mile Dusy Ershim Trail. :) As you can see, the granite is holding up well to the use. You can't even see rubber from tires on it, unlike the slickrock in Utah. We did the whole trail a couple times a few years ago BCH (before CafeHusky :)) and I did a few nice reports. I should probably put one of them up here. I've ridden a lot of different places throughout the west and I think the Dusy is one of the most beautiful and scenic trails I've ever seen.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You guys don't use any flat-proof stuff like slime? Or heavy duty inner tubes to help with the flats?

Those rocks must have been there since the beginning ... I don't see any other way that they could be sitting out in the bald open of those hill sides ...
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, we all use heavy-duty tubes. We don't use slime. I used it once during a national enduro in Arizona and it didn't help at all; all it did was mess up the tire gauge.
    The flat was Mark's. In all the miles we've done on the 17's (11,000+ miles on my 610 and 20,000 total on Eric's KTM) we've had a grand total of 2 flat tires, both on my bike and both due to picking up nails out in the middle of nowhere...Nevada and Baja.

And yeah, those rocks have been there a long time. They are referred to as erratics. They were deposited there by glaciers.