The three numbers...what are they?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by racer514, Dec 8, 2010.

1. racer514 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I went to my dealer to get (hopefully) an updated MAP since my bike seems to run too rich. It's a 2008 TE450 and the plug looks way too rich and sometimes she does the flame out thing and even gets hard to start sometimes. Anyway, he couldnt do the MAP because of a software problem on that day but I did get to the see the screen he was using to try. There were three numbers on the screen that looked like they could be changed. They were all close to 100 but the top number was like 104 (I think). Anyway, I was just wondering what those numbers represent and what should they be or a general description for my own knowledge.

Thanks to any help!
  2. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Those numbers are you CO numbers more than likely. CO1,2,3. If CO 1 was set a 104 that would be 4% richer than stock, example CO1 at 95 would be 5% leaner than stock. CO1 controls bottom throttle, CO2 controls mid, and CO3 controls mid to top throttle opening. Early 2008 models had only 1 setting in the software and yours must have been updated if you saw all 3. There is something else called FB settings and with this the O2 sensor must be in place and then there is tweaking to keep the numbers reading 100 as you tweak it.

As far as what the numbers should be all bikes are different it seems. You may be able to get close if someone has the exact same bike as you and can comment what there numbers are but again all bikes seem to be different.
  3. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    on a 2008: FB1, FB2, FB3. I am less familiar with the 2008- but believe you can only adjust FB1 with an effect. FB1 will enrichen or lean the whole fuel curve the ammount represented by the number: less than 100 is leaner, more than 100 is richer. The other adjustment is the TPS- this should be set so that the Wide open throttle is at 100.2 in conjunction with the Hardstop on the throttle boddy- then accept the TPS setting in the by clicking "set" in the TPS page.

On 2009/2010 bikes: You adjust FB1, FB2, or FB3 for NONpowered up mode. You adjust CO1, CO2, CO3 in Power up mode. Think of those numbers as throttle positions and like Pilot, needle, and Main jet.

So you can see there's a big difference in this reguard between the 2008s and the 09/10s. You may need a TPS adjustment or lean out FB1 a little. 104 may be rich for your bike{: everyone's numbers will be slightly different (so there's no "perfect" recipe to follow),} Assuming there are no issues with spark and your motor is in good shape.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice explanation HuskynXJnWI
  5. racer514 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ditto. Great explanation. Now to find out what they should actually be at.:)
  6. racer514 Husqvarna
    AA Class

So next question is...... do I need to get these numbers right before I think about getting a Power-Commander or will the power commander take the place of controlling these settings?
  7. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Glad to help-

You can just use a Power Commander... It will basically use the current settings as the baseline to correct from. So it doesn't matter if you don't change anything with Ibeat (dealer's software). You can stil always have the dealer hook it up to Ibeat and check things- but if he changes things you'll have to start over with the Powercommander tuning- that's why many have everythings set to "100" as a baseline. Might not be a bad idea to have them do that- then try it out and see if that in and of itself resolves your issues.

On a 2008- I would be more apt to purchase a Power Commander than I am with my 2009 (due to the small amount of additional adjustabilty that the 2009 has with Ibeat). I have that dialed in very well with just CO settings.

I would read in this EFI section all about the Power Commanders PCIII versus PCV with or without autotune. There is a wealth of information that can't be replicated by 1 person in a single response. I would ensure you understand the basics of adjustments and can grasp how to work with that system so it does what you want for you. The autotune feature sounds very good but I think too many people think of it as "simple" tune- Its a bit more complecated than some expect I think. I am not saying its hard- just that you do have to do some things and understand it. ALSO, many have had problems from installing the system and either having wrong or bad connections which led to complecations. ENSURE that you do a good job of installing and making quality and correct connections.

I would still verify your coil connections, spark plug wire, and spark plug are in good shape- and check the valve clearences.... before spending money on a "boxxed" solution. :thumbsup: