The Watagans (Australia) - In Search of the Lost Carvings

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Seahorse, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Seahorse Husqvarna
    AA Class

The WATAGANS (Australia) –In Search of the Lost Carvings

For the last year or so I have been hearing rumours of a remote sandstone ridge line, deep in The Watagans forest, that is the home of some rather unique stone carvings.

These carvings are not the work of Australian Aborigines but more likely those of a modern day artist whose tools of trade include, not only the usual hammer and chisel, but also a battery powered angle grinder.

A mate of mine, TW, was sure that he could lead us there, even though his previous attempts had come up short. :confused:

A date was chosen for the ride, and a close eye kept on the weather forecast, as some of the trails we would be using on the day, were deep in the bottom of rainforest valleys. The night before the ride it rained steadily, but the day of the ride itself was said to be fine with a possibility of afternoon showers. A decision was made…The ride was on!!!

There were to be only three of us on the ride, TW (KTM 400), my son Scott (WR250F) and myself on a TE250.

Our staging point was at Martinsville on the Eastern side of The Watagan Forest. Riding conditions in the morning started out pretty much perfect with a little bit of standing water on the trails and the light rain from the night before taking care of any dust. To make a long story short, we got to the carvings nice and dry, via Wishing Well, Helipad and Koala Trails, only for the drizzle to start pretty soon after we got there. Seeing as though the drizzle had settled in right across the range it was decided that the day ride was to be changed to a morning ride, with us returning to the cars around midday…..Completely soaked to the skin.

Scott has put together a short video of the ride. He has credited me as being “Sweep”…This is a nice way of saying that I am too old to keep up with the young guys and should always ride at the back of the pack…..

His video editing skills have also removed all traces of very anatomically correct carving of a woman portrayed on one of the rocks…..

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjWcKxeAQ4

index-1.php.jpeg index.php.jpeg index-2.php.jpeg
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Heck TW you didn't tell me about the expunged carving.
    Good one Scott and Seahorse, catch you blokes for a ride soon.
  3. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    Nice ride guys...love those types of trails...
  4. TEA250 Husqvarna

Those carving are so cool. Thanks for posting them up. Great choice of music for the video too.
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Whoa! Those carvings are really cool! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting up the photos!
  6. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I can say this as those guys are riding mates of mine. I recon they look like a couple of rock carvings in the photo.
    Just kidding TW and Seahorse.