There's a mighty thin line between confident and stupid.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by krieg, Nov 4, 2009.

1. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    You know that line. It's pretty thin. The line between: "Pfffft! I can do that", and "Holy $hit did I F up!".

Had the TC out for maiden voyage #2 this morning. Nice brisk 40+ degree weather. Had the Under Armor cold gear on. Just re-jetted the pilot to a 40 and put a flex jet fuel screw in... just dyin' to try things out. All is wonderful with the world! One kick! What could be better?

I decide that my mission this morning was to find an abandon coal mine that I hadn't seen in 32 years. Its on a desolate section of the mountain that I haven't ridden since I was 16. No worries, I have the TC! I can carry it on my back if things get bad... right?

I was surprised at how good my memory served me after 30+ years. The trails and rail beds looked familiar up to a point. Then I encounter a switchback trail that leads from one rail bed to another. I remember it being the way to the mine. I start down the trail and I'm greeted almost immediately with ruts and boulders the likes of which I haven't seen since my invincible teens. No worries! I'm on the TC! I'm invincible!

After about 100 yards of virtual "trials bike" territory, I'm on the familiar rail bed to the mine. The TC and I did remarkably well on the horrible terrain. I was proud of us. My instincts are keen at this point. Even though it's been 32 years, 3 miles later... I'm standing in front of a childhood memory. I stood in this very place 32 years ago. I got there on my 1972 Suzuki 90 Honcho. Back then however, the terrain was much more forgiving.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now to the stupid part.

I'm proud of myself for finding this place on my own. I mount the TC and get her fired in two kicks and head back home. But all too soon I encounter the boulder-strewn switchback... only this time I'm heading up an incline that appears twice as steep as when I was going down. The ruts are deeper and the rocks are bigger. Halfway up I'm fighting to keep the TC from launching me into broken bones or worse... gasp... a scratch on the new bike! Fighting the clutch, bouncing around like I'm on a pogo stick, legs flailing around to keep from falling.... poof! Fame out! $hit!

My only alternative at this point was to get her fired and push. Riding was out of the question as the terrain was almost too steep and rocky to even mount the bike to get it started. Somehow I managed to get it started. Somehow I managed to push and clutch and rev and push and clutch and push and rev... about 50 yards... by myself...on the verge of a heart attack. I finally get it to level ground. I kill the engine, prop her against a tree, thank God, and rest for 20 minutes just to get my heart rate under 170.

NEVER again. The line between confident and stupid is mighty thin. But I'll be able to see it from now on like it's 100 miles wide! :eek:
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Sounds faintly familiar. The older I get,the better I was.:lol:

I'll bet that Suzuki was a heck of a lot shorter than your new ride. A lot can be said for being able to paddle.:p
  3. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I hear you !!!

I had a similar situation recently.....and the sudden "geeze I'm all out here alone" or " I gotta get out of here" sets in and yes the heart rate does climb....:eek:

mine was going down the backside of a pass that I have never seen before....the trail got steeper and wetter I was riding totally on the front brake.....and I noticed the path hadnt been ridden for some time.....so I dragged the bike around....and had to get off the bike and clutch the thing as I walked it... for what seemed like an eternity.....after I counted my blessings......as I was all by myself

but with the bike on the trailer......I had a good laugh on the way home..... :busted:

but fear is good sometimes...teaches us to remember
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I did something like that recently. I quit a little earlier than you did but still had to push and clutch to get to rideable territory..

Still in decent shape but at 64 I shouldn't be out pushing by myself where only the sheep are nearby.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Ya gotta be careful out there!

Glad to know that you made it back ok :thumbsup:
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I used to ride by myself a lot more when I was younger. I still remember a moonlight hike in motocross boots while my bike took a nap at the bottom of a remote canyon. And I remember going back the next morning, doubled up with another rider to get it out of that canyon. I remember disassembling my KDX220 in January of 2005, just enough to drag it out of a mud bog in the bottom of a gully, then put it back together to ride back to the truck by sundown. These days, I try to ride with other people as often as I can, and if I'm by myself, I try not to be too adventuresome, or at least walk any terrain that is questionable before I make a decision about riding on it.:cool:
  7. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

That damn lighter bike is making you feel invincible!
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'm glad you and the bike are okay! We have all done this one time or another on a bike.... mine usually included deep flowing water.:eek:
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm glad you're Ok...and the bike survived.:thumbsup:

It does say a lot for riding by yourself...but sometimes it can't be help.

I found myself falling in love with the magic button on my 510 often when

me and the bike were hanging precariously on a steep hill.:D
  10. Dirty Bikes Husqvarna
    A Class

That new bike is no good. All it will do is get you into trouble. Tell ya what...I will do you a huge favour and take it off your hands. No thanks required...I am just another friendly Canadian trying to help out. :)
  11. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610

Now that is the truth-----Sounds faintly familiar. The older I get,the better I was.:lol:

I have had a few of those as well :oldman:
  12. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't get it. I have a 610. I dropped it ___SEVEN____ times the other day.

Do you think you got tired or something? I'm pretty sure you weren't:lol:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good story.

When i got my new 04 TE450 I took it on it first ride at a close to me local area i had ridden MANY times before, alone. Coming down a trail I have ridden 50 times i see a faint trail coming off it. never seen that before. Start down it, it starts to get real steep and of coarse i have over committed. I realize it is a MTB trail and after walking it some find some 3 foot drop off over old growth logs on the ground on very steep terrain. i try to go back up the way I came, crap, not going to happen. I wrestle the bike down the trail, trying not to break stuff on the drop offs. Finally about 2 miles laster it comes out on a road i know and I'm good. Pucker moments on a new bike alone. Good stuff.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Been there, done that. Whew....:D