1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Thinking about a street legal WR144...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Zomby woof, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    First, I recently sold a few bikes that weren't seeing much track time - since I bought my Husky :thumbsup: and that freed up some coin. Last year I sold my dual sport and I really miss being able to head out after supper (10 mins mostly dirt road) to put in a few hours of woods riding.

There's a 09 WR144 for sale near me and it's street plated.
    I have two questions.
    What is the difference between the 09 and my 11 CR150? I already know about the forks, and ignition. Is it a good bike? It comes with a PWK and the 125 barrel, so you know what that means.

How will it be on the road? Is it like the CR, or a little more laid back? It's not like I'm commuting with it, but I will be riding over to the trails, and possibly into town, another 10-15 min jaunt, the odd time. Good or bad choice?
    sabortooth likes this.
  2. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have mine street legal and it does just fine on the road. I have kyb twin chamber forks from a 2010 cr and the zoke 50mm twin chamber on my 09 are way better.
  3. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    I have mine plated and ride it on the road. It is absolutely fine as a road bike although you will likely keep hunting for 7th gear as it tops out quite quickly on standard gearing.

Depending how much on/offroad you plan to do you could consider mounting a dual sport tyre. I have mounted Dunlop D606s on mine as I was munching through the Michelin Enduros fast on the pavement, and they offer a great compromise.
  4. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Thanks.
    That's encouraging.
    Any insight on the differences between it, and my 11 bike? Pretty much the same from 09+?
    I'd like to be able to swap parts back and forth if need be.
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    That's it? No more input on how awesome the WR is? :popcorn:
  6. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I have an 09 wr.. Can't say enough good things about it. Over 300 strictly off-road hours on it, and she's ready for more. Like the guys said above, you'll be searching for 7th, 8th, and 9th gear when on the roads if it's geared for trail riding. You'll have that 125 jug revving to the moon trying to hit 50.

If you going to road ride it, with more gravel roads and quad trails, you could get away with gearing it for the road. But she'll be weak on bottom with high gearing.
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    The trails I ride are fairly fast, so I was wondering if you could go up a tooth on the counter shaft with the 144 and get away with it? I bet you could do it with a 165.
  8. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    I ride mine on some of the paved roads in a state forest when we connect to trails and I too find my self looking for another gear that isn't there :eek:. I was thinking about messing with the sprockets, but I'd hate to give up what this bike gives me in the woods and the sand.
  9. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I just sold my 77 Can-am. It was a street plated 175, and really geared for woods. I was always looking for another gear, but it would cruise pretty good at an indicated 50 MPH.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  10. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

Who bought that bike ? The Smithsonian Museum ? I haven't heard or seen one of those in a zillion years. :lol:
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I sold both my vintage Can-ams to the same guy. The 77 was museum worthy, too. All original, right down to the magura lever covers, leather tool bag, and tools.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  12. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:

Sorry for hijacking this thread. But do you have pics of those bikes ?

Back on to the topic.

Can you test ride this bike to see where it's at gear wise ? Maybe this person played with it and it's what you need.
  13. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Anytime you have a chance to plate a dirt bike,,,don't even think twice,,unless you live in California our system is so screw'd up it's not Funny... Plate the Bike!!:thumbsup:
    Zomby woof and sabortooth like this.
  14. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150

Here you go.
    Racing tomorrow at a big national track with the Husky. It's also a vintage round, so I'll be thinking about the 82 bike while I watch them having fun without me.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Gearing is the least of my concerns. I can fix that easily enough.
    I had a street plated KDX220 and even though it's a nice mild bike, it was hard to ride on the street because I couldn't maintain a consistent speed with it.
    It seemed too high strung, and didn't want to cruise, if that makes any sense.
    Jersey Woods likes this.
  15. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    I have an 09 wr 144 and an 08 cr125. The wr is more tame than the cr. my buddies leave me on the fire roads at the ganny. The other day I ran out of gas so we b lined back home 68 kmh in top gear was what I would call cruising but I was trying to save gas. The small tank on the 09 is a pain. I can only get 45 km of fast single track out of it. I think the bike you are looking at has a large tank though. You might want to check out the number on the plate and his stats on OO to see how hard the bike has been ridden.
  16. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I thought I read that you were going to sell that or trade it in a while back. If you ever decide to sell it, I'd be interested.
  17. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

You are the 3 person this week asking about it.
  18. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Is 3 the lucky number? :banana:

They've become a popular bike in this area..
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The 09 has a different frame in that and newer ones are more braced to eliminate the flexi frame and snapping motor mounts. Not a big deal unless you moto though. The WR has a bigger flywheel and ignition and rev slightly slower and are slightly softer. Very good bikes all the same. If you go with the 165 kit you can go up 1-2 teeth on the front or down 3-5 on the rear no problem. Inn fact you kinda need to as the extra power will make the stock gearing feels super short. The WR has a kick stand and 18" rear wheel and lighting coil all which make it a better bike for your DS needs.