1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Thinking about first Husky. Answers needed...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rik Lipscomb, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XC 2008, 990 Adventure 2011
    Ive been a KTM loyalist the past 5 years but want to make a change with my next purchase which I am itching to pull the trigger on soon. Have an 08 KTM 250XC which will stay in the stable and recently sold a 250F as Ive come to prefer 2 strokes for my below avg B riding skills. Id appreciate any answers the Husky community could offer to these questions:

How do the Husky 250/300s compare to like model KTMs in terms of power, suspension and reliability?

My impression is Husky has put more r&d into their 4-stroke line of late and the 2-strokes have not received much attention the last few years and have remained un-changed in every significant way. Am I correct?

The number of Husky dealers is fairly sparse. Is the dealer network growing since the acquisition by bmw and are there any other major issues affecting the late model Husky ownership experience?

Is the BMW acquisition going to help Husky thrive or???

How is oem parts availability and is there a satisfactory selection of Husky bike accessories offered?

What about after-market accessory offerings for Huskies? I do not notice a lot of Husky offerings but is that just due to having KTM blinders on?

Why does there appear to be quite a few prior model year(s) new models still in dealers showrooms? If there is little difference between a new 2010 vs 2012 250 or 300, any reason the older model would not be the way to go if the price is right?

I have more questions but will stop with these for now. Thanks in advance for your input!
  2. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Steve-oh likes this.
  3. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Welcome Rik,I myself was also a KTM loyalist from 07 to 11. I was riding a 2006 XC300.Loved that bike it was rock solid.Last August I bought an 09 wr 250 and was surprised buy how:good it turned-bottom to mid range power-easy to set up rear shock-easy to access air filter-.I like the bike as much as my last ktm and cant wait to make it a 300.So far my best friend who owns a motorcycle shop has been able to get me anything I need aftermarket(bearings-pistons-main bearings-plastic-exhaust)Their are more dealers opening up every week it seems like and I have not had any problems getting genuine Husky parts from my local dealer Motoxotica.Yes there is more bling you can buy for a ktm but you can get every thing you NEED for the Husky.So far I am glad I made the switch but now I want the WB165!!
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I used to have a 2005 EXC250. While I thought that its performance was better than that of my KDX220, I ended up getting rid of it instead of the KDX. I'm not a fast or heavy rider, but the KTM just seemed to be a bit frail.
    Fast forward to this year when I bought a Husqvarna WR300. After owning a TE450 for 5 troublefree years and almost 9000 miles, I decided to add the WR to my collection. I was surprised at how great the bike handled, not for a bike of its size, but just how great it handled for a bike of any size, period. I have let my KTM friends ride it, and they agree that it turns really well, and they were surprised at the width and strength of the powerband, and thought that the suspension was well sorted.
    While the bike hasn't changed much over the years, it is definitely a great platform for any type of serious offroading.
  5. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I've ridden a couple ktms and they feel and handle oddly compared to my WR300. I have had zero problems getting parts, I usually order from Halls cycle and they have had everything in stock. Aftermarket is on par with other models. The Husky doesnt need much to be an awesome bike. I resprung for my weight added protection and have been riding the tires off since last Feb. I love it so much, I just parked my second Husky in the shed today.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Which second Husky?
  7. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Twist my arm. Reckon I am going to start shopping for a red machine. Thank you for the feedback
  8. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is the WB165 a Husky kit or ????
  9. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I was forced to buy Kreigs CR.......
  10. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I own Katooms as well and switched back couple years ago. Just like the ergos better, handling and stability. Parts are never an issue. The aftermarket stuff is really picking up. Motosportz can also get about anything you need, as well.
  11. Michi_S Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    What other...?
    Hi Rik. I bought a new 2010 leftover HVA WR 250 last month. I rode KTM from 96 till 2010 and than a HM-Honda CRF300X for 2 years.
    The HVA is a great bike, man. I like the engine, the suspension, the handling and the brakes, the only issue for me is the kickstarter, it's a little bit strange conc. length and shape, but I think I have to get used to it. The frame is a little bit old and you feel this because of it's size between your ankles on your first round. I think the 250 is the better engine for riders in our skill level. I pulls better (smooth and responsive) than the KTM engine @low rpms and at the top you can only say "holy moly".
    If you don't need the magic-button, you can't be wrong with this bike...greez.
    454x likes this.
  12. Rik Lipscomb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks again.
  13. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

No, WB stand for wallybean, who is one of the Cafe Husky old timers... his kit is sold through Motosportz...also a regular around here.
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Gotlabs I was thinking about picking that up for myself; sweet :D! So you finally got a chance to ride a 144 so what did you think? Congrats I'm sure you are gonna love it.
  15. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I couldn't have been more suprised when I first rode it. Crazy the power it has for such a little motor. The frame geometry is spot on for my size, to bad its for my daughter. I may end up taking it from her and get her a WR125 later in the year.
  16. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah I just finished ridding my WB165 and it's so much fun! Congrats!
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    What is your size? I really like my WR250 but I'm 6'6", Iv'e been wanting a 125 and almost bought a leftover 09 in 2010 but went for the 250. I have no regrets but I keep thinking I might want a 125/144 anyway.
  18. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I will be posting more pics soon to tempt you even more!:D
  19. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    6'1" 230ish with gear.
  20. 080 Guest

I had alot of the same questions you did so here is my findings/opinion 11' WR300 bought 5 months ago.

- Fit and finish the bike seems on par and as good as any others in comparison. Handling it seems very stable through the rough, whoops, chop etc at speeds and in slower technical sections. Obviously ain't a track bike so the big impacts/g-outs are going to be felt but the suspension all around works well. Gearing for me is a little to close 1st through 3rd but if you ride alot of tight trails 1st and 2nd might be just right. The motor is similar to the KTM 300 in broad power but not quite as electric feeling down low and it hits a little stronger from about mid range on up. Kick starting is a bit to get use to but not to bad, might not be good if bad knee's were an issue though. I'd say its closer to starting a 500 than a 250 but I never really had an issue starting a 500 either, just saying.
    - After market parts are not nearly as numerous as KtM's or the other big 4's but they are there. For example; if you want a bigger gas tank I believe you have to get one intended for the 4strk bike and though it fits it holds the gas high where if it was made with the 2strk in mind the gas could be carried alot lower or more of it. OEM parts seem to be a standard 3-5 days out and from what I have seen not much different in price for most things.
    - Dealers seem to be good and expanding which is a plus. The dealer I go to is very good and seems to know where to get just about anything I need for it or can point me in the right direction. Graphics/back grounds seem to be in the upper $$$ range around the price of customs but they do have a good number of selections out there.
    - One thing I should note concerning the 11' and 12' models is they seem to have issues with running the lights (hence the 2012's don't come with them). Without getting to much into it and even though some on here have had no issues both my dealer and Husqvarna/BMW customer service has told me there is an issue and that they are working on a fix. I just wish I new this before as I need to have lights and that was a selling point when I purchased it.
    - Customer service at least in my situation is very poor. Other threads I have read and in talking to the dealer, Husqvarna seems to be very good about correcting issue's etc "My judgment is still out".

I was a little hesitant about Husqvarna but after doing alot of reading on here about the bike felt like I was making a good purchase. Although frusterated about the lighting issue I am dealing with I won't knock the performance as I feel it is one of the better 2strks I've had.