1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Thinking of buying a 2009 wr 300. What to look for?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by bensl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    ok, after enjoying many kms on my 610 i am now looking for something a bit smaller and lighter that might make hills & riding single track a little less tiring. i had been keeping an eye out for a ktm 300exe but i have now come across a 2009 (build date 12/2008 -doesn't that make it an 08 model?) wr300 with a little over 1000kms locally for a good price (for Oz anyway!). any tips on what to look out for on the bike? being new to 2 bangers im not sure i will pick up anything. i guess at 1000kms it should look pretty new. any tell tail signs the kms are not genuine?

also ill admit to be a little nervous of the apparent power of the 300. i image it will be a big step up from the 610. can you ride them sedately ala 4 stroke? can i chug about like an old fella if i feel like it? any big changes from 2008-2012 models? if so i dont mind holding out if there are improvements on later models.

any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

cheers

piccies of said bike:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Look pretty clean and low hrs. I can lug my 09 WR250 or let it rip and I imagine the 3 hunny is even better that way.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    That's the beauty of the 300. It can be ripped or can be a pokey tight trails kind of a bike.:banana:
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I have 09 300. Theres really zero issues after beating it to hell for two years solid. Grab the thing if its a good deal.
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
  6. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    yes, add says DEP muffler (whatever that is!).

advertised at 5k ono (decent price for us aussies i think). hopefully i can get it for a bit less.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    $4.5K would be a good deal! $5k ok. is it rego'd? il buy the dep off ya if you dont want it/swap for a stock silencer & $ if it aint got one & you interested!
  8. bensl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610, te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    ducati diavel
    rec rego'd only i think.

what are the main difference between the early 300's and the later models?
  9. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Define early? The main thing is the ignition, they went to an electric Ducati ignition in maybe 2011? Chassis geometry is the same, motors are the same. Frame color is different...

With regard to power, I have a 300 and a 610. It's not really a matter of power (610 has plenty too), it's just the way a 2-stroke delivers it. The power is pretty raw and the throttle response near instant, so an accidental whack of the throttle that isn't a big deal on a big 4 stroke like a 610 can be dangerous on the 300. You just need to be careful, it's not too big a deal.

The motors are super tractable, you can lug it all day long at lower revs and the power delivery down there is super mild and very manageable. I lug it on trails and let it rip on open sections or on the track.
  10. AC3 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Street Triple R, KTM 400 EXC
    I have a Wr300 2009 and can not recommend it enough. The most fun bike.
    Done 1000km in the past 3 plus months alone and take it everywhere. I usually ride Enduro but also take it to the MX track. It is quite excellent on the trails and also very capable on the track.
    You have to get used to the position of the kick start but that is nothing much. The wire pull clutch is something I had to get used to coming off the KTM but keep the wire clean and it will be sweet as!
    Other than that you can check the wheel bearings to see if it has done extra miles. The spacers could be grooved and the seals could let water and dirt in.

The main difference will be the confidence this little bike will give you. Coming off a 120kg bike onto a 103kg bike you will feel like you can climb anything, jump anything and beat anything in a race. When you feel the madness of the powerband you will never go back to 4 stroke lol.
  11. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

g2 throttle tube/cam really helps this bike out. look for broken motor mounts and broken/welded silencer mounts.
  12. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    2010 got KYB forks. Other than that and 2011 ignition, they're all the same...
  13. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    super clean ride get it and come down off the fence i was young n fast now im old n slow and im faster in most spots w/o trying on the 300 than the 125. makes me feel like a kid again w/o the work of a 125 just shift and screw it on. goes over anything people will be in your way. awesome puttputt bike best lugger ever. good luck stopping it. bomb proof right-hand drive is cool. kick starting is weird at first but get over it and enjoy. always wear a moto boot. fire it up check for air leaks at the reed block psssht pssht contact cleaner if the gasket is bad youll know it if theres none add one or make one. pull the pipe and look at the piston if its cherry nab it. 360 torque 250 zap cool sound too. impress yer freinds intimidate your neighbors.

jesus Joe how tall are you my 300 comes up to my armpit! :eek:
    AC3 likes this.
  14. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    The avatar? I can straddle the bike without touching the seat. I've got a 36+ leg, and am 6'6".
    lankydoug and pvduke like this.
  15. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got my 2009 wr300 brand new in 2011 after riding a 97 kdx 200 for a couple years. Its a great bike! I ride it very often with no problems. I crushed the stock pipe on the rocks and went to a FMF Gnarly exhaust. I also added a rekluse because of all the rocky singletrack I ride on. Other than normal maintenace, no problems at all. The power delivery is awesome but very smooth even without the rekluse. I am 5'8" 180lbs. Had a little trouble in the very beginning with the height but once you get used to it and play with the clickers and rear sag a bit and give it a chance to break in its great! It's nice to have that extra power on hill climbs and nasty muddy sections.