thinking of moving out west (again)

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by FreddyTE310R, Jun 23, 2014.

1. FreddyTE310R Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Speedmaster, & Speed Triple
    Now that I remember how MUCH I love off-road riding (after NOT doing it for 30 years) I am now seriously considering moving into an area where I can do it, freely as possible, with no worries or restrictions, legally: I would like to ask: where is this a reality ? If anyone would please reply, & let me know what area of the country you're in, or where you ride, off road, without police interference: in my area, it's just not do-able, unless you go to a dirt track, or a sanctioned preserve, where the DNR uses "trail passes" and registrations: all are TOO far, and it's an entire day's trip. Would greatly appreciate anyone's input, here.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  3. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    Does Idaho have much winter riding ?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes near boise.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Year around riding in boise within an hour.
    panhandlebars and bigjon like this.
  6. MBGraphix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    16' 701 & 13' TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    08' CR125
    I live in Oregon in the Valley and I really think I am spoiled.
    1 hour to Browns Camp (TSF), Trask, or Willamina Trails. Only about 2.5 hours to central Oregon where we ride Desert terrain.

Oh, and best of all - we have Bills Motorcycle Plus a quick 15 minutes away.
    darnold87, bigjon and Motosportz like this.
  7. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    Southern Cali , I have an 8 mile ride on the street and miles of dirt after that .
  8. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The owyhees :)
    bigjon likes this.
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Cali is getting worse these days. We will probably be in your boat soon enough Freddy. The only thing our state legisative body does is copy and paste laws written by environmental crazy groups and re-write existing legislation to make it more restrictive and get the credit for it for their next election. The funny thing is I can ride my 84 IT all year long on a green sticker, but all newer 2T and all but the greenest 4T bikes get restricted riding season Red Stickers. Yep, it really is that stupid.:banghead:
  10. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I grew up in The San Francisco Bay area lived in the Central Valley, Stockton for about 7 years. Theres some great riding Northeast of that area and up SouthEast of Sacramento. Rode alot up in there before moving to southeast AZ.
    Good high desert riding here and the monsoons are going to be here any day now. I'm at 4100 ft and get up into the Forest treelines at about 5000 ft. a half hour away or less.
    Great high desert riding without cops or problems except the 2 legged mules carrying dope on their backs. 2 legged Coyotes too with large groups going North. Really you can ride for hours here and avoid such things but that is part of my job stopping that sort of thing so I do see alot of it 5 days a week. I don't have to chase them or anything just maintain the fence they came in through at times and inspect the work when its done that I call out to have done for my job. Then I ride on the weekends.

Plus we have some of the largest weight per capita mule deer hunting up here than anywhere in the state or country for that matter. I see about 15 a day just riding my work truck down the Border roads.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Oz is nice, same size as the lower 48 and only 22 million people. Truck load of space out there and we speak English- sort of.
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  12. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    As long as you don't want to ride a 2-stroke, or whatever else CA determines to be unfit for use in the coming years, and don't mind submitting your race bike to emissions testing. :thumbsdown:
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  13. FreddyTE310R Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    this one's a 4-stroke, so no prob there....where ya at, in Cali?
  14. FreddyTE310R Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    all I an say is WOW, thanks for all the responses, and ALL of this very usable info ! I'm, gonna whip out the country map now, and start putting thumb-tacks down, in these spots....next step: ZILLOW.com, and shortly after: selling this tiny condo ! thanks again, all.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    really cant go wrong with idaho, washington and oregon. those three states are completely littered with trails forever.
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've been researching my escape plan for a little while. I'm tired of a 6 fig income being almost enough to get ahead here in addition to being taxed and screwed every which way. Don't get me wrong, I too have a short pavement ride to dirt, and lots of wide open riding from 30 minutes to 4 hours away in the van. I grew up loving riding the dirt around here, but unless we get some people who are more interested in creating real jobs and being business friendly instead of pushing high speed rail from somewhere to nowhere, I'm out.
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Idaho is looking pretty good as a possibility for us. Got some family that just moved there and started a business. They don't ride, but they be very happy so far.
    Kevin_TE250 likes this.
  18. FreddyTE310R Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    all I an say is WOW, thanks for all the responses, and ALL of this very usable info ! I'm, gonna whip out the country map now, and start putting thumb-tacks down, in these spots....next step: ZILLOW.com, and shortly after: selling this tiny condo ! thanks again, all.
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  19. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
  20. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    If you have a dual sport there is tons of awesome riding here with no hassle , I live in Yucaipa and see clubs doing rides to big bear quite often , and if your into tracks they are all over .