1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st throttle hanging problems

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by stuball, Jul 9, 2014.

1. stuball Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha wr250f
    I have recently been having a lot of grief with my 08 wr250.

It spat me off in a big way at Easter when the throttle got stuck on after jumping up a small bump. Pulled it all apart and found a frayed throttle cable which I assumed would be the answer to my problems

Back on the horse, 1st ride no problems, 2nd ride I noticed the throttle started to run on slightly when jumped. Trackside I stopped and safety wired the cable to the carby as I noticed that pulling on the throttle cable caused it to come out the carby slightly and increased revs.. (Throttle tube end was already wired).

Did the hill climb I was sitting at the bottom of and over the log at the top, ten more metres and then it went full throttle and luckily I caught the clutch. I had to lay it down and turn the fuel off for it to cut out.

What could my problem be? The throttle cable wasn't pulled out in this case. I have read about the slide getting hung up with debris however carb came out after the first incident and was cleaned. The engine side of the slide is a bit rough which I found unusual but has been this way since I got the bike.

Open to all suggestions as I want a definitive resolution before I climb back aboard as all confidence is lost at the moment.
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Next time you get a 2 stroke running wide open that wont shut off with the kill switch put your gloved hand over the exhaust outlet and keep it there until it dies. It works a lot better than trying to run it out of fuel and is easier on your engine.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    A few comments:

-Check that you don't have too much throttle free play. I had too much on my bike and the throttle would stick occasionally, I think the slack would let the cable come off the pulley and get stuck but I have no way to prove it. Anyway, I put the slack back where it should be and the problem disappeared.

-Be aware that some KTMs had their Domino throttles recalled, and the same thing could possibly apply to Huskies: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2-stroke-throttle-recall-for-husky.32168/ Probably doesn't apply to your year, though.

Doug, good tip. I was surprised when mine didn't stop with the kill switch but it sounds like that is common. I shut it down by stalling it (stopped, brakes on, let clutch out) but I like your trick better.

I will say that a stuck throttle on a 300 2-stroke in the woods is really exciting (and potentially dangerous)! Yikes! :eek:
  4. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Leave it in gear and stand on rear brake stall the motor!
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    how clean is the inside of your throttle assy? what about the handlebar where the tube rides? i like to polish the bar with emery cloth. does the throttle feel smooth and does it snap back nicely when you open and release it? what are you lubing your cables with?
  6. stuball Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha wr250f
    The throttle sticking happened so quick my first reaction was to pull the spark plug lead off and a short moment later I thought of the fuel. I hope to not be in the situation again.

The assembly got a good clean with contact cleaner and reassembled. The throttle cable is a new venhill cable which was lubed with silicone spray. The throttle snaps back nicely. There was a notch on the of the slide where the idle screw had made a indent which i thought was strange.

The cable freeplay is something i will look into more. It is my key suspect at the moment however the acceleration after jumps has got me stuck for an explanation