1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc time to let her go?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by worthog, Jul 2, 2016.

1. worthog Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm sx50jr
    Hello I don't really do the forum thing too often but I have been presented with a chance to trade my 2009 wr300 pretty much stock for a 2009 husaberg te450..
    I don't know much abut the berg other than it looks like it's been riden... hard.. and it is at a dealer. My bike looks in better shape plastics and overall cleanliness but that doesn't matter much. So I would like to ask if anyone has experience with this model husaberg (riding wise) and durability wise too.
    Also I am 5'10" 190 lbs. and like riding tight singletrack. Don't do much other than that and commute to trails sometimes on fire roads...My bike hates 55 mph highways.. vibrates like hell.. also I am not getting the wr to really run as smooth as I want. (I have the keihin 38 qvas too) and I still need to jet it again. (live at 6200' and ride higher up into the 8500 range.) from what I have read the Husaberg is a show stopper for 2009 compared to my bike. Dealers asking 3500 (electric start and fuel injection) and the bike could use rubber and plastic.
    is it worth it to pay another 1500 to get the ktm made thumper?
    opinions don't bother me so let 'em fly.
    thanks for any help.
    -Keith
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    2 very different bikes..i cant see a bigger four stroke being nicer in the woods or the "tight single track" you say you ride. 4 strokes have a harder time staying cool as well. the thumper will do better at cruising pavement but thats entirely different than woods work. 2 strokes run pretty clean and start easy for me, so fuel injection is more of a hindrance in my opinion. i can tune a carb and so can alot of people with a little research. four strokes cost more to rebuild and freshen engine wise, and i do not like the engine-braking effect. many like thumpers however. do you like four strokes? would be awful to trade and find out you dont..
    you sound like maybe your bike needs tuned right and perhaps some gearing? once its jetted close it should be good to go. some like to change bikes just to do it however.
    ohmygewd and worthog like this.
  3. worthog Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm sx50jr
    My bike before the wr300 was an xr500 and when I got the wr it felt lighter and stiffer. I don't really want a bike that's heavier and softer sprung by any means.. and really all I want is a hydraulic clutch and some lower gearing. right now my bike is in need of fork seals that clutch upgrade and maybe a bigger tank and jetting. The Husaberg does have a rep for being very light feeling for a 450 thumper. I mean one is technologically advanced for it's model year and the other is tried and true. I was hoping for someone who owns both or has ridden both to really throw me some comparisons.
    thanks for the reply
    -Keith
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If the husaberg is well used it may be due for an expensive rebuild as would and well used four stroke. I might consider a gearing change and maybe a rekluse.
    worthog likes this.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Here's my take. The dealer sees an opportunity to off load a bike that looks thrashed that they probably took in on trade. Rancher brings up a good point with unknown hours on a motor that might need expensive work soon.

So you come along and present a better looking bike they can sell for the same price or more and won't come back to haunt them like the Berg might. If you really want another bike, my advice is keep looking.
    worthog and juicypips like this.
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    In my opinion in stead of dropping 1500 on an un known bike, spend a few hundred and get a carb that's not bothered about altitude changes.
    Both are good bikes but I would stick to the husky an get the carb sorted.
    worthog likes this.
  7. worthog Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm sx50jr
    Thanks for the input. I am happy with my bike when the throttle is fully twisted and when I get the rest of it dialed I'm sure there wont be much a need for a different bike. I am having a hard time finding a hydraulic clutch here in the states for this bike, and that would be one of my fist upgrades. thank you for the replies. I was really skeptical about going back to a four stroke after really enjoying this bike on the trails.
  8. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    I wouldn't trade. If what KTM did to the Husky parts supply is any indication, neither WR 300 or TE450 is long for this world. I.e. you cannot get any new top end parts (i.e. head, cylinder, power valve) for your 300. Trust me I've been looking for my WR. I'd be willing to bet that the bergs are going to be in the same boat soon. Now if that was a KTM or Beta 450, then I'd say go for it.

But in my opinion, you'd be better off getting a Magura hydro clutch and a Lectron for your 300 and living with the kick start.
    Miezie666, worthog and juicypips like this.
  9. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    2009 Berg 450 is the older 70degree motor which are pretty robust and actually very good in singletrack work due to the engine layout (out performs the KTM450 on that year both in handling and reliability). There is a lot of parts interchangeability between the Berg and KTM with exceptions of the motor as the 70degree was wholly developed by Husaberg (berg forum's indicate that some engine parts can be cross referenced).
    Bergs don't have an kicker so you need to have a good battery. Majority of the components are top shelf and compares to the KTM 6 days.
    They all have hour meters and l would be checking the OEM speedo's hour meter and also any log books...as with any 4t need to know whether the valve clearance where done, piston/ring, receipts etc.
    Radiator fan is a must on any 4t's especially singletrack work!!
    $1500 more than the WR300, that's the dealer's mark up and you could probably buy private with more info depending on your patience and seller. Let's face it (in Australia any way), Italian Husky's don't hold their value in comparison to Husabergs and KTM's.

As Justintendo rightly pointed out, do you like 4t's? Have you really ridden a 4t (no just around the block)? I've come off 20+ years of 2t riding and onto a Berg FE350 and it literally took me 1.5 years and 2 broken ribs, contemplated chucking the sport the away before l got a good handle on how to ride these things (mostly mental) and TBH, l still ride them like a 2T.

If you want the buzz of a 2T with a electric leg, l'd be looking at the Berg TE300, newer Husky TE300 or like others have said, spend the extra 1500 on a lectron and suspension mods...but l do share your sentiments of upgrading to a newer modern bike but l was coming off a 95 WR360 lol
    worthog likes this.
  10. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had the 570, I loved, loved, loved the power.

I hated, hated, hated the bike. It wasnt ready for prime time even by 2011 which was my bikes model year. The fuel boiled constantly. Fuel pumps baked in there despite a open SXF can, Akra tune and eflective tank blankets and a fan. So it wss loud AND hot. Edit, I even wrapped the pipe and thay didnt help either but gave it a nasty dirt magnet on the pipe. Lovely.

Taking a wrench to one is a NIGHTMARE. I think it was like 18 bolts to remove the gas tank and the subframe and exhaust had to come off iirc. I built a EXC530/610 to replace it, took a bath on resale and couldnt be paid to own another one.
    worthog likes this.
  11. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF

Exactly what i think,
    KTM does not care about spare parts... i cant get a clutch basket for mw WR250 anymore, a friends 10years old husaberg has a broken cam follower- not available anymore ...

I have an 30years old mercedes- any part i need is still available- sometimes i ll have to wait 2 days to pick them up
  12. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    Geez, no love for the Husaberg..... I have several 70 degree Bergs and have had no issues with obtaining parts, as most are off the shelf KTM. Fuel pump and heat issues are well known and easily fixed. They are a Euro bike, so they are a bit more involved to work on due to over engineering, but I've found that issue with my TE630.

Pre 70 degree bikes are more of a challenge to find parts for, but you shouldn't have trouble finding parts for a 2009 or newer Husaberg. They seem a bit heavy standing still, but once in motion, they handle like much lighter bikes. Husabergs are a cult bike with a strong following. Sad to see them go out of production.

The main issue I see is going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. They ride very differently and it may take some time to get used to the differences.
    ohmygewd and worthog like this.
  13. worthog Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm sx50jr
    That is what I wanted to hear some one who has experience riding these thank you