1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Tire recommendation

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by husky300, Feb 19, 2011.

1. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Looking for the most Trials like tire for my wife's 125. She has 19" rear. I will not be able to put on a 18" rear right now but that is going to happen just not right now. But in the mean time I’m looking for a tire to run in dry hard Idaho mountain type of terrain that has the best grab. Any ideas or knowledge in this hunt?
  2. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    I'm trying a Maxxis Desert IT soon as l want an all round tyre that can take some punishment from rocky trails....S12's don't last and they don't make 752's anymore.

Currently have a Mitas CO-2 Stone King and it is the best wearing and gripping rock tyre l have ever used but the downside is it's crap in slow speed, muddy corners.
  3. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    I have had the Maxxis Desert IT and it was a hard compound. The C0-2 looks good in potos but can not find any on -line
  4. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maxis IT's And Cut sipes in the tread blocks. Most endurocross guys do this{with there personal choice of tire} since the trials tires were banned.
  5. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pirelli MT 16
  6. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Do the sipes really help that much? I'm hopeful that they will I understand the flex of the tire thing but is the compound tacky/soft? Thank you for your response. That Perelli Mt 16 looks promising
  7. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

It works well on hard surfaces, like rock ledges and logs. We also run low tire press 8 1/2 to 9 psi. They feel a little squirmy not as bad as a trials tire but they stick
    well and you get used to the squirm and don't notice it. We're going to try the Maxxis radials once we use up our IT's, We've used Pirelli's and Dunlop's in the past
    both worked well. You may want to look at Motoz tires, I know a couple guys that are loving life on the Motoz.
  8. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Ok then, siping is what I will do thanks for the replies all.
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    There is a 19" trials tire out there now, but I don't know how good it is yet. Part of the beauty of a trials tire is the extra flex you get with them. Seems like that flex would be missing in a 19" but I don't know.
    I've yet to hear any reviews of the tire. Check it out... http://vanceearlracing.com/wordpress/?p=298
  10. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Yea that is what I want Wood's. Thanks now i have to find out how to order one[IMG]
  11. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    How the bloody hell do you sipe into knobs like that on a trials tyre? Utility knife or a groover?
  12. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

A knobby knife will get it done on a MX tire.
    [IMG]
  13. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Hmmm...might try that on my Mitas CO-2's...
  14. husky300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Called VER and spoke to the owner, nice guy by the way. He told me they are in the states but still have not arrived at his warehouse. He expects them this week.
  15. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Can someone please explain the snipe theory to me and apart from the grip angle does it equate to better or worse tyre longevity
  16. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    siping is a process of cutting thin slits into a tire to improve traction in wet or icy conditions. just like your car tires. in theory, cutting these thin voids into the tire will help the knob (in this case) flex and grip better. i believe the tire heats up quicker too. i would imagine, depending on the depth of the siping and tire compound, longevity will go down pretty severely.

question for you guys that have run the OEM Michelin Enduro Comp III's... i hear these tires aren't that great due to the FIM-legal knob height. my WR144 came with a brand new set mounted. should i ditch them for a better tire? just run them until cooked? i see they have a pattern already on each knob, could i sipe them a little deeper and get better wet rock traction? i'll be riding this bike in new england woods. (rocks, roots, mud)
  17. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cut knobs can flex more and have more bitting edges. As for longevity they wear quicker and tend to shear knobs off. I've only ridden a trials tire once for a brief
    period it was on a 250 2 stroke, it felt kind of odd in the faster corners and seemed to slide more when using the rear brake. Traction wise it was very good and it really
    would bite on side hills and roots, and the up hills felt like you were riding on pavement. The guy that owned the bike said he got used to the handling difference after
    a couple rides and the tire had been on for just over a month and seemed to be holding up well. It had been very dry so don't know what the trials tire will be like in the
    mud in the spring.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    No matter how you sipe a knobby, it still isn't going to grip like a trials tire. The rubber on a trials tire is very soft and sticky, and the sidewall flexes more than a knob giving a much larger contact patch. Even though they are much softer, trials tires don't kneed the sharp edges of a knobby to dig in for traction, thus they last much longer. Yeah, they look pretty funky after the first ride but they keep on sticking long after you'd think they were ready for the garbage bin.