TNMX Round #12, Bolts and a green machine...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by jmetteer, Jun 24, 2011.

1. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Another interesting race last night, these guys keep getting faster and faster.

Both motor mount bolts on my TC decided yesterday was the end of their useful life, in practice. I originally thought just one was broken and scoured the pits trying to find one after having no luck at the auto parts store. I found one that was a bit long and only a grade 8.8, not ideal but would have worked out in a pinch. When I went to put it in I noticed the other one was broken also. That was not so cool, even announcing over the PA system was not enough to bring another one out of hiding. Huge thanks to the Wharton family for giving me a factory ride for a night, although learning a new bike in race conditions is not ideal it is better than watching from the stands.

I ended up on a 2011 KX250f, great bike, tons of power but I really missed the Husky brakes and handling. On this night the Kawi was 10 times the bike the Husky was, motor mount bolts will do that.

Practice somewhat abbreviated...
    [IMG]
    Moto 1
    [IMG]
    Moto 2
    [IMG]

Later,
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    When I first rode my Son's 2011 KX 250F, it felt like I was riding a rocket-powered steam roller. Instant, neck-snapping power in a package that don't handle for crap (compared to our 2010 TC 250 that is). Cody does well on the Kawi, but still mentions the handling and lightweight feel of the TC.
    TXC&KTM likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Someone mentioned that it looked like the motor mount bolt holes were slightly oversized. Wonder if this causes them to move and snap? Unfortunate.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Too bad on the Husky and the bolts .... What happened at the ~4:22 mark of moto 1 ... It was like an entire gaggle of riders appeared in front of you at the same time ...

I like that line you took in moto 2 over the jump at the :50 second mark ... it took you straight to the inside of the following turn where everyone else were out on the berm....

Very good riding for just jumping on a different bike like that ...
  5. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Thanks Ray Ray, I felt a touch on the out of control side at times. I didn't get through the rhythm section clean much and I was bottoming bad. The bike had Factory Connection suspension but it was set up for a 130lb rider... I am 165 or so.

In moto 1 were catching the lap traffic from the second gate, I think it was the open beginner class or 250 beginner class.

Later,
  6. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

So are you going break out the TXC or the RIngadinger or will you have bolts by next race? Always enjoy the vids...
  7. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    That is a very good explanation on the difference between the two bikes. The way the husky puts power down in corners was also missed.

Later,
  8. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I picked up some bolts from the local hardware store today, M8 x120 grade 10.9, 4 bucks each. I got 4 just in case. I may start packing the 125 along on Thursday nights, MontgoB1 may need parts someday and it never hurts to have a spare bike.

Later,
  9. montgob1 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yah Spare parts sound good! Nice ride jake :) the holes do look a little big. I know some vintage guys who dol out the mounts and the cases to run 3/8" grade 8's. Your bike might take that bolt already, just a hair over 8mm but more dia is good, and possibly tighten the chassis up.
  10. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    nice pass in moto 2, did you buy the lapper a beer?
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    JM,
    Word on the street is that ZipTy reams the holes (chassis through motor) to upsize the engine mount bolts. Maybe give them an email or call, they are quick to talk and assist with stuff like that.
  12. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Thanks Robert, Email sent!!

Later,
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Like the Husky bar pad. Info?

Moto 1: Nice inside left turn at 1:04. And what do you mean that you couldn't do the rhythm section cleanly? You passed several guys there on several different laps. Nicely done!
  14. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I got the husky bar pad for Bills MC plus, I think it is in the husky hard parts catalog. It was like $17 bucks. I think Kelly can get them too.

That rhythm section is a smooth triple triple when done correctly, it is fast and uses very little energy. I was coming up short on the second one, bottoming hard, using lots of energy and hoping I didn't take a bad bounce. It was faster than doubling through but it wasn't smooth at all. On the Husky even if I screw it up it is not a hard hit like the Kawi was with the setup it had.

Later,