1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Too Tall!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by incorrigible, Dec 22, 2011.

1. incorrigible Husqvarna
    B Class

I haven't taken a tape measure to it yet, but the WR 250 09 seems an inch or so taller than the Yammies and KTM's I have had. Does anyone have a good strategy to get this bike to a similar stance. I like the handloing but jumping from one of those to the :uskymakes me feel I'd like to make it the same height.

Lowering the rear more than the front a. Little also seems like the right thing. I a$m thinkon 10 mm front and 20 - 25 rear.

Anybody have a good tip on the best way to sort this out without messing up the handling?
  2. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    5' 6" 30" inseam - I cut foam out of the seat and pushed the forks up in the triples to the second line (from the top). I mostly stand up when I ride, though. It definitely lessens the comfort (about on par with my old KTM seat now) of an already stiff seat. I still am not flat footed by any means, but it is low enough that I can catch it before the point of no return if I start to tip in a technical situation. Other than that, send it to a good suspension place to have the forks and shock professionally lowered. You could get a Kouba link, but that just lowers the rear, which I would imagine would make it handle oddly without additional work to the front.
  3. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The best thing is to get the correct springs on your bike for your weight. Set your sags correctly. Check out my setup recommendations in the Tech section. This will balance the bike and allow you to swing your leg over the bike. Static sags are critical and when you have both static and rider sag right, you know you have the correct springs too. I had to increase the rear spring big time and actually had to go down one on the fork springs. Until I got my sags right I had a hard time swinging my leg over the back.
    Harbinger likes this.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just contacted WER and I'm gonna send my suspension off to them to get it lowered 2". He (Drew Smith) said it's not a problem and does lots of them. BTW my Husky is a 144 and it's the tallest bike we own.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Lowered 2" ???? A bit much in my opinion. You are not starting with a lot of travel to start with. The Husky only has 11.6" of travel in rear and 11.8" front. You going to have only about 9.6" of travel with you are through. You set your static and rider sags correctly and the bike will be noticably lower. Yes, That does mean you will be changing springs. I had to go up 5 sizes (6.0kg) on my rear spring on my 2011 WR150 and down 1 size on my fork spring (.40kg).
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! I am 175cm and i felt my bike was on the high side too. I started with cutting my seat about1" and lowered the bar(took spacers off). The seat was too hard for woods so i put in 20mm of a softer foam that compresses more when i sit on it, and i also moved the forks up 10mm in the clamps. This gives me around 20mm total of lowered rideheight. I also released a little spring pressure at the rear spring(2 turns on the screw) as i don,t do any high jumps anyway.

Johnny
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    There is a company (KOUBA) that makes lowering links for Huskys if this helps
    TE310KoubaLink.jpg
  8. incorrigible Husqvarna
    B Class

Kouba doesn't have a product for the 250/300.

I am not trying to LOWER the bike. In my experience, you have to tread softly in making chassis changes.

I suspect sliding the forks down in the front will be sufficient. 10 mm I think.

When you throw your leg over the back of the WR it is obvious this bike is taller than a KTM or Yammie and I can't see any good purpose to that height. I am thinking of taking it down 20-25 mm. Johnny's idea of lowering the sag is the obvious quick and dirty and free way and I'll try that. If anything to see if running front down 10mm and rear down 20-25mm messes up the handling geometry.
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes I thought 2" was to much but Drew Smith (WER) knows suspension way more than me and he said it's ok. Maybe when I talk on the phone with him I'll back down to 1 1/2" or so. I had a Kouba link on my 07 Honda 450R but they don't make one for the 08 Husky CR125's.
  10. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Yea I looked for a link for my 2007WR 125 also the link is narrow on one end and wide on the other. The new 2009 and up will take a link, I had my bike lowered 1 1/2 inches and took an inch out of the seat, I have to find some softer foam the thing is killing my rear when I sit.
  11. Harbinger Hróðvitnir

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Nuda 900 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell
    I`m only 5'6" tall with 30" inseem, my weigth is 160 pounds and i don't have any problems riding my wr 250. I have the suspension setup like it is from the factory and i really appreciate the heigth of this bike. It's only if i have to stop in terrain that is really uneven, like between two tussocks that i will have problems with the heigth of the bike. If you lower the bike you will get some real problems due to ground clearance and suspension travel. You just have to get used to the heigth of the bike and learn how to ride it, remember that you have to ride this bike standing most of the time when you are out on the trails. If not i would suggest that you get yourself a lower bike like a gasgas or a sherco. Or maybe go back to the pumpkin. You may wanna check this out, if you are short legged.

http://www.ossamotor.es/EN/models.php?idMoto=339
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

5' 7" myself and have been riding tall bikes all my life (52 years old). My 08 Husky CR 144 needs fork seals and I've never had a suspension re-valved so I figured I'd let WER do it all; re-valve, seals, lower. BTW I'm getting that OSSA! I'm just waiting to see when they will actually make it to the USA.
    wallybean likes this.
  13. Acmesalute76 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR250
    One of the main reasons I love my Husky is because it's so tall! But I am 6' 1" :-D
    lankydoug likes this.
  14. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Did the suspension change on the newer bikes? My 2008 has 11.8" in front and 12.6" in the back.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I thought my 08 had more than Vinduro stated; thanks PK.
  16. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hummm. The 125 and 150 frames only have 11.6 rear not 12.6.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is that the case with the 08's too?
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just checked and it shows 12.6 rear and 11.8 front on the 08 CR125's like PK stated. Maybe when they changed the frames in 09 up bikes it's less??? Either way I'm getting mine dropped a little. I just checked and the 09's up do have less travel front and rear 11.6 and 11.8. So my 08 has a little more to play with.
  19. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2012 WR125 and I couldn't even imagine lowering my seat height by loosening the shock spring (more sag). I have raced many bikes and after the first breakin ride the "first" thing I do is set rear sag. Most bikes handle like CRAP, don't turn very well and are a mess to handle (for me anyway) without the proper sag. I am 5'6" with 30" in-seam and it's rarely that I get into a situation that I can't hold the bike up with my toes or slid to one side using one leg. If I fall, I just get back up.
    I don't mean to offend anyone but if you loosen your shock spring to lower your seat and you think the bike still handles good..........then you don't have any idea how GREAT your bike can handle with the proper settings.
  20. jbankes Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR144
    Husky sell's a lower factory seat at about a $100.00 I got one from
    Toy Tech.