1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

top end inspect and etc....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pvduke, Apr 21, 2013.

1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Pork-inator is due for some much needed service (again). im am not bragging seriously im not that great, but, i am suprized at the amount of abuse this engine can take. i miss shifts, panic revs, subject it to ungodly floggings and loads up hills over and over and... plonking along at minus 2 RPM running over my tongue and feet almost falling off from exhaustion...you get the pic. it's neat piece. i like it!

regardless. every so often i like to pull the pipe and boot and have a look see on my smokers.

first- wash yer bike. i never wash mine (unless its muddy- then it gets blasted ASAP). its a dirt bike, it's posed to be dirty! i just wipe it off and service it. but for this? wash it, detail it. then, yank the sub frame intact. lay it on its side. then carefully remove the filter and look for trash. mines pullin some in from somewhere, prolly the clogged air filter that was in it (not cleaning im tossing it, it's had two cleanings so its now worn out)- so i'm splitting the boot (goes in the dishwasher no heat dry) and gluing it together now that it's warm here. (i know lazy bones shoulda done that first day...). a little teensy bit of super fine dust say as fine baby powder or the like on things aint no big. look for dirt, rocks, bushes. et. al..

008.JPG

next- keep cleaning! get everything off the frame shock and whatnot that might get knocked off and land into said boot during replacement of subframe! plug the fuel line, remove the spark plug and tape over that hole too. now that's stuff nice and clean, inspect everything with a fine tooth comb. remove the paper towel from the carb, hold it open and check it's tonsils, see the reed block? make sure there's no chipping, burrs, etc. if something dont look right? it aint! these DO hour out. replace them regularly. softer ones = more bottom, stiffer ones less bottom better top end perf.

007.JPG

next make triple sure the frame is clean and so is the head pipe. remove same and inspect for coke, and, stuff you missed falling off and landing in there. like the exhaust spring that just fell in there!!! :doh: grab a light and slowly move the piston with the kicker. look for blowby, scoring, cracks, coke etc...check the PV's for coke. if they aer coked stop- clean them, NOW...not later, NOW. move the piston to BDC, when it's down look at the intake side of things. you can also see the head in some cases. with the plug out you can sometimes see the piston top. if its coked the clocks ticking there.

if things are as they should be you'll have an hour glass shape on the top, of light deposits and still be able to read the arrow and dimple and whatever they got in wirting on there- if any. if the piston looks good, it is. same with the bore. there might be some light carbon tracking and lines from the ring gap. if the hone is clearly visible? yay! if you are starting to get signs of blowby- brown stuff below the ring, get ready to ring it- real soon. a fresh ring = a longer lasting piston. ignore it and kaboom.

001.JPG

if you run a premium oil the PV's should have nothing on them but oil...no coke. none in the pipe either. sorry- lots of flash-back from the camera. but it dont look too bad for the relentless abuse it gets. im starting to get a trace of blow-by on the ring. so yeh, wont be long for that.
    002.JPG
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    grease the pipe o-rings and stuff it back on. make darn sure nothing is in the pipe but air. make sure the wafer thin spacer washer is there too. you'd be amazed how big a dif that lil thing makes. i dont know why, it just does. so does wrapping your header in header wrap. i also grease my clutch lever and pressure flush the bajeebers outa the cable with liquid wrench with teflon after every ride. it's a LOT nicer now.

now's the time to really giv'er a once over. it took all of 15 mins. to get to this point, so grab your t-handles and a pop and touch everything, everything do you here! :p

the only bolts that fall off? are the one's ya didnt check! (my old man laughing when my BMX seat came off ina race and i buttzapped the back tire)

004.JPG

braaaap!

- p.v.
    juicypips and rockdancer like this.
  3. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I'll be doing this myself this week since my silencer bracket broke & the subframe will be removed to get fixed......
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Damn but that is an awesome motor...tad heavy and missing a 6 speed or WR 5speed...but still an awesome motor.
    Xcuvator and street2dirt like this.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i agree. noticed the same with the TC motors. but i think the extra weight is relative to its robustness. i think. :p i do like the type and spread of power. its easy to ride plonking along and it rips like mad on top. it's baacon! :banana:
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    heavy? whats the motor weigh? cant be more then 20 kilos no? an that aint alot for a bike producing 35bhp+-?
    mines quick enough to scare the spit outta you when you least expect it an the crips throttle responce has caught me out on the top of climbs ample times now.. :banana:
    good write up an no bumf i like a tight bolt!
    pvduke likes this.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Didn't you you just get that bike not too long ago? I'm sure I'll be checking the top end on mine in it's 4th or 5th season, or like on my KDX 200 when the performance seemed a bit poor, and I discovered that the piston had started to split up the middle.:p
    [IMG]
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes. january. but like i said, i like to pull the boot and bonnet every few rides and give a look. it's so easy why not? might be able to spot a minor thing before it becomes a kaaboom. good catch on the piston. bet that was an oh s*** moment.