TR650 on a race track?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by rmcelroy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rmcelroy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hey guys, I was looking into getting a dual sport, and there have been a couple bikes that have caught my eye so far. Obviously I am looking at a TR650, but I was wondering if any of you had any opinions about taking the bike on a race track?

I will primarily be using the bike for weekend riding and a bit of exploration, most of it's time will be spent in the twisties on the streets, and I would like to be able to have a bike I could also take onto a track. (so basically, I want it ALL)

I havnt been able to find too many people commenting on whether they think this is a track worthy machine however, or how it would perform on a track. (I know I would need new tires, that's a given...) Has anyone here done any track time with this thing? Or, based on my description should I be looking at another bike?

thanks!
  2. Toyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TXC250/2012 TXC310, 2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW Hp2E/Yamaha Super T/BMW R1200RTP
    Husky calls the TR a Dual Purpose, not a dual sport machine and for a reason. It is intended for off limited or light off road riding but not in a competitive nature. I am sure one could ride it hard off road but not what it was built for. The 511 is a competitive bike and can be raced in off road events. It can be classified as overkill for a dual sport event. Having said that, if you plan on spending a lot of time on the street, riding to off road parks, trails etc, the TR is better suited. If you are going to trailer and ride hard off road, the 511 is the ticket. 690 enduro is a really good bike but again is more oriented towards the off road venue with, in my opinion, limited street use. If you look here in most of the threads and do some reading, I think you will find some answers a little bit more in detail than mine so have fun reading and good luck with the purchase.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What kind of track time are you talking about. I own a TR650 and racing it is not really something that seems it would like. It is a 400 pound slow reving bike. It is a great street and gravel bike but racing? I am leaning toward no but you can race anything if you try hard enough. (insert $40,000 Factory DRZ400 race bikes here)
    Lonfish and Tinken like this.
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    The OP also posted on ADV rider.
    Over there he gave a much clearer decription of his inteneded use.
    65% street, 20% track, 15% dirt
    He also noted "track" means road course tracks, and short distance ones at that.

At first I though he was WAY off base even consdiering the TR (thought MX track), but on a short road course and 65% street use...... not so much.
    I cant see it being competive against 600 super sports, but I bet it would be a hoot with SM wheels.
  5. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Anything you put on the track is a hoot! I've been on WR250 and a DRZ125 & 400 and its great fun, but after a day you'll be wishing for something more focused. It's hard to compare a 400lb slow revving dual purpose vs a 260lb SM machine.
    I've seen an FJ1300 & DL1200 on the track, can't imagine the pucker factor once the hard parts start scraping. Lol
  6. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    You can get more streetish tires for track days but the strada sounds like the best option. In rode racing sv650's and ninja 250's are popular and I could see the strada fitting in for random track days. At the track, any things fun, I've seen cruisers at road courses before. Have fun and good luck
  7. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Motosportz, I am curious if you have taken your bike in and had it remapped with the MOSS tool? I know what you are telling rmcelroy and this is a little off subject, but you might see a big improvement on the revs if you take it in. I should move this question to the MOSS tool section.
  8. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha