TR650 skidplate done, here are the details...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well this took longer than expected but I could not be more happy with the results. CNC machined from billet aluminum and then welded together this sucker is freaking strong. Fully protects the oil line, mounts solid to front engine mounts and then like handle bar clamps to the rear frame member. All mounting hardware included. Very EZ to mount, has a hole for the oil drain, protects the under engine oil line and offers protection for the rear brake to some extent.

these were expensive to build so I have set the price at $199 (plus shipping) and still do not have room for dealer pricing. I did not want to price myself out of selling these but also wanted to offer a skidplate that flat ruled and would hold up to major abuse from a 400 pound motorcycle.

I have 5 silver ones and 8 getting anodized black which will look really nice on this bike.

- I am sending Emails to all the got on the list and will service them first. Anyone else that wants one please Email me at...

motosportz@gmail.com

Thanks.
    Kelly

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    MattR and Coffee like this.
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Nice! Those came out looking very good.
  3. DirtyOldMan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    15 Beta XTrainer 04 250 RFS
    Just responded to your email, sure am glad I waited. These look great.
    Wasn't really much of a wait actually.
    The fact that you guys bought one of these bikes and started up some aftermarket products for it helped me pull the trigger on mine.
    Good on ya for fixing us up with Husky stuff.
    That price ain't really that bad .
  4. BigDog Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950--KLR--Yamaha WR250R---KTM 450
    I'm on the list----really nice---good job.
    BigDog
  5. Ol'NumNuts Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wantin a Terra 650
    Kool!
    Ya gets what ya pays for...

Compared to the OEM offering this is way better for not much more...

I reckon you could price this at $249- and easy show value for money...

But keep the Cafe Husky forum special- at least as an intro price...

Just gotta get a Terra and I'll be on the list for sure...

Great Stuff!
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Can't wait!
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Wow, nice and thick, perfect for a heavier DS bike. Though I am a little concerned with the four protruding bolts near the rear of the skid plate. I think they could be avoided if the rear struts had a clamp assembly with a hooked front and keeping the rear clamping cap screws. Then they could be welded to the skid plate eliminating the other four.

Geeze that oil line would scare me too haha.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

The bolts could be changed out for button heads but those are always hard to get out after a few scraps over something. Also i did not figure this bike would see a lot of log and rock hopping and this would be kept to a minimum. they are M6 so they are small. I also thought of some buttoned top surround them and make a bit of a ramp kind of like the round mounts on the floating disk brakes. there are lots of "solutions" if this is an issue I just did not want to drive the cost higher and the product further out. I think it will be fine as is. I had originally intended to weld the rear mounts on but as designed they have about a quarter inch of fore and aft movement to accommodate and differences int he frame or the slight bend and weld so you can align the rear mount perfectly on the tube is clamps. We spent a lot of time getting this right. Thanks.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It is in the worse place on a 400 pound bike with no skid plate. BMW is just asking to replace motors with this setup. Worst part of the bike IMHO.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks all for the nice comments / thoughts.
  11. blaine.hale Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 BMW r75, 1974 BMW R90, Bultaco
    I might actually counter sink those holes in the back and put some countersunk allen bolts in there. Loving the looks of this skid plate and loving that I could possibly put the bike on a stand with this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep feel free to do that once you get it aligned for your bike. Should be cheap and simple. Yes, you can for sure raise the bike on a stand as it is nice and flat on the bottom and no issue with the 400 pounds.
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    UPDATE:

Silver ones from this batch are sold out. Will build more shortly. Still have some black one available and will be shipping those mid to end of next week. The black ones are 209.00 plus shipping.

UPDATE to the UPDATE :D

just called the anodizer and had two held out so have 2 more silver. Act quick if you want one.

thanks
    Kelly
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Looks fantastic! :thumbsup:
    Tinken likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks.
  16. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Great price and a fantastic design Kelly. Looks like getting back to your roots is well on its way to being successful. Can't wait to see it in black.
  17. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Looks promising, sturdy and well thought-out. One complain though - would it be possible to weld-in 'side-wings' to cover those exposed lines on both sides ? I presume mounting might be difficult then but with holes well-planned it might work...
  18. IPA Brewer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Multistrada, KTM 690E
    +1, and extend the coverage up higher in front to protect front of the motor from front tire slinging of mud, rocks, gravel, etc . I like the mounting/fit/finish a lot, but am holding out for now. Would be willing to pay more for these mods of course.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We could have done that but it would have added to the cost and given the mission for a 400 pound bike it seemed overkill. It would be real EZ to have sheet metal add on wings to roost protection added to the front. Once you see the plate on the bike in person you will see it has a lot more coverage than it looks like in the pix. Our main goal was substantial strength to protect the engine case and oil line.
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    So... Buy skid plate for cheap and then take it to a weld shop and have custom wings added. :)
    Ol'NumNuts likes this.