1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st trail tech vector speedometer issue

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by zilly, May 13, 2010.

1. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I have been talking to trail tech and will continue to do so today but I have a fairly new vector computer on my wr300 and love it. However about 2 weeks ago I started gettting some ghost speedometer readings of some really high speeds which I know I was not going.

Back at the house I noticed if I tapped the connection between the stock speedo cable and the unit I would get false readings.

I assumed that the stock cable was bad and after messing around just decided to order a new cable. I have the new cable now and have installed it but I cannot get any speed readings:banghead:

As per trail techs instructions I have teflon taped the sensor where it threads into the caliper and checked my magnet but still no luck. The people at trail tech have been very helpful and I wil talk to them again today, but I was hoping some of you experts out there would have some ideas for me:thumbsup:

Either way I'll post back on what I hear from the trail tech people.
  2. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

does it use the same little plastic plug-in connector as the stock computer? it's pretty easy to bend a pin in one of those and get a bad connection.

my ktm 200 uses the exact same connectors, and there's one down at the front wheel that every now and then stops working until I either ride through a stream, or squirt some wd40 on it. seems like dirt and corrosion just mess up the connection after a while.

maybe inspect the pins of the connections and put a little dielectric grease on them.
  3. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Yes, the stock speedo connector plugs right into the stock connector on the Vector unit.

I will check the pins. That's a good idea-thank you.

I was going to try and check the continuity on the speedo cable,but I am going to have a hard time getting my probe into that tiny connector. I'm being serious.

As for the bottom of the speedo wire (near the caliper) it is just a continuous wire which goes into the threaded magnet sensor so I don't really see a spot there which could be dirty...
  4. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah, the ktm has an extra connector down there that I don't think husky or trailtech normally have.
  5. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

I think the nicest and most up to date gauge are the Koso :thumbsup:
  6. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    If we assume thr trailtech unit is 100% and concentrate on the magnet, pick up sensor, and wire: here's the test. 1, magnet is still "magnetic" right? 2, sensor and wire are intact and not broken, 3.Test: Align the sensor and the magnet on the rotor so they are accross from each other. at the end of the wire- the connector you speak of- put an ohm meter accross the two wires with the two leeds- should have continuety- spin the wheel- it should show continueity briefely every time the magnet and sensor pass each other. If the sensor is not adjusted correctly it will miss the magnetic wave and not give continueity- if the sensor is junk it never will. If there is a short in the wire it never will. The stock speedo wire is very fragile near its connector- make sure there is not a break in it.

off topic- whats a koso?

I just ordered a trailtech Vector to replace my 09TE450's odo/speedo which rain infultrated while riding and developed issues. Should be a good replacement- I have my ktm speedo (2004 speedo) on the TE for the weekend of Dualsport routing for an event.
  7. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Koso is a top qualité gauge for motorcycle and they have many very nice small gauge for enduro bike. Many option such RPM, speed, temp, and many more.
    Look at the DB-01R model or the G2
  8. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Just thought I'd post back and let everyone know how easy trailtech was to work with. After getting good advice on this site I tested my cable and it kept seeming like it was a different issue.

I contacted trail tech they were super helpful and suggested I send the vector in for testing. Turns out there was something wrong with the computer which at least made me feel like I wasn't crazy.

But the best part is how they shipped me a new computer (no charge) the very next day. Pretty cool, I think they could have easily said that dirt bikes are hard on equipment blah, blah, blah, and that they aren't repsonsible for damages etc.

Point is they didn't, and they were great to work with. Im not a paid spokesperson or even an unpaid spokesperson, just a poor old rider who appreciates good customer service.
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got to add a big ole +1

Just got a vapor, the temp sensor is usable but just a tad to small, so I was gonna order a bigger one. Instead they are sending me a new sensor, and extension cable, like a $50 deal, for free. I didn't buy it from them, which they knew, but they were just "No problem, you'll have it tomorrow, thank you!"

SHOCKINGLY good service:cheers::thumbsup:

10. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Anybody know the name/brand/model of "those little white connectors?" I can find everything else, not those. Need some.