1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Transmission Oil - What to use? How much?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Aug 26, 2013.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    This may be a stupid question - but I'm only familiar with Japanese bikes. I just got a Husky and want to change the oil, and I don't currently have a service manual to look this up so...

Can I use BelRay Transmission Oil - 80W in my 2012 Husky CR 125? Or should I use some other kind of oil? And how much should I use?
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Ty races the MY12 CR125 and we use both Amsoil and M1 0W40 in his race bike.
    wallybean likes this.
  3. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Is that automobile engine oil?
  4. AWM Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Orange
    Two strokes arent as anal as 4s.
    Any quality gear oil will work,IMHO.
    Rotella has always done me right.Or ive run Motrex,and Honda with good results.
  5. Tentontimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Tinken likes this.
  6. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I've ran 10w40 and Atf with no problems. Both seem to shift the same and have a bit of clutch drag
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You will have less clutch drag from the start using the 0W40. Auto oil - The Amsoil is not, but the M1 is. I can place a motorcycle sticker on th M1 bottle if it makes you sleep better. Motorex also makes 0W40.
  8. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I've always stuck with 80W motorcycle gear oils because I've read that there are detergents and additives in the 10W40 automobile engine oil that, supposedly, aren't to be used in a wet clutch like on our dirt bikes. Then again - ive read that a lot of people use automobile engine oil in their bikes without any issues - which is the case for you.

That doesn't mean that ALL 10W40 oil is an automobile oil, however. Hence the question.

Sounds like I'll be fine with 80W gear oil that I typically use. So now the question is - how much do I put in?
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If auto engine oil is JASO rated it is ok in a wet clutch. I use Rotella 15w40. Rotella 15w40 is equal to approx 50w gear oil.
    Steve-oh and huskybear like this.
  10. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Perfect - thanks man
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    If the bottle says "energy conserving" don't use it. That's the stuff that will make your clutch go all funky. My CR had Belray gear save in it when I bought it. I found th shifting clunky and difficult. Didn't know if it was the bike or the oil, so I used a 15W40 diesel oil similar to Rotella, and the shifting got much better. Some people prefer gear saver, but I didn't like it.
  12. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

After Tinken has been beating the M1 0-40 drum , I tried it and it worked great. I have switched my bikes over to it and it greatly improved starting and shifting .
    454x likes this.
  13. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

This Valvoline Synthetic (10w40) 4-Stroke bike oil works great on my '08 WR250. Helps a ton with clutch drag.
    [IMG]
    lankydoug likes this.