1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Trick to avoid gas spillage?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Jun 17, 2010.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I am new to my WR300. First ride out I was spewing gas everywhere as I filled her to the rim. I noticed even at half tank I was still draining. I have incredibly strong forearms and am scared to crank on it as I am always breaking things and striping out stuff/cross threading stuff etc. Do I just need to crank on it a little more or is there a trick?
  2. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just wanted to quote that. :lol:
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Look at the rubber seal and make sure it's not pushed all the way up past the threads. That's how you get no seal despite being very tight. You need to reach in and pull the rubber seal into the threads...then put the cap on. Just tight, no real force is needed if you're getting a seal.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8759&highlight=gas cap leaks

My explanation may not be as good as Ioneater's in the above thread, last post. My bike's not here right now so I can't really verify where the seal should be, but it's the issue, finding the right spot for it....not cranking down on the cap.
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Well, I am a powerlifter and norwegian:cheers:
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    So you have fuel spewing out the gas cap seal?

And the name you choose for the forum is firecrotch? :)

You may want to look into an aftermarket fuel cap, and of course make sure the seal is properly installed as previously mentioned.
  6. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

my 125 did that ... the rubber sel inside th ecap was messed up. I had to order a new one.
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I think what I remember doing with mine was pulling the seal out and then screwing it in via the threads.
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yeah, my 125 did that, too, on my very first ride. Gas and gunk all over my shiny new bike. It hasn't done it since, so... :excuseme:

WoodsChick
  9. Anthony_1978 Husqvarna
    AA Class

mine did the same till i worked out the seal needed to seat better, its probably why the stickers on the shrouds fail:excuseme:
  10. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    Acerbis Large cap fixed me. Not a drop since. Part number is 11110100 or 73-6713 (depending on parts catalog). I got it from another thumper-oriented site that has a parts store. About $12.
  11. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    It's technique, not strength when dealing with Husky gas caps.

My wr300 cap will leak too if the gasket isn't sealed right.
  12. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

First time I filled my SMR510 at the garage it stood there dripping fuel all over the tarmac, thought I had leaking tank. Turns out the standard vent hose was siphoning the fuel and it was running out of the headstock! Not good with a hot engine on a forecourt. Cut the hose down and fit a one way venting valve. They work. :thumbsup:
  13. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    you would think the gas cap is something that would be perfected by now....
    both my bikes leak fuel on occasion. I never had that problem on a Japanese bike.
    (because they dont try to reinvent the cap every time a bike gets updated)
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Coffee, you hit the nail on the head, his name and bike are a perfect match ! :thumbsup: Like everyone else said, check your seal !
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I hear this all the time yet never have a problem with my multiple huskys. :excuseme: 09 WR125 and 2010 TXC don't leak a drop. :excuseme:
  16. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    lol - yeah thats been my nickname forever because the red hair. Thats funny though. I did have a friend who did a desert race adn didnt know that gas was spewing out all over his crotch. HE said he almost passed out from the pain and the burns he got down there.:lol:

I played with the seal on the cap and re-tightened it and noticed it went way further in with ease and snugged up. Before I was only able to get the gas cap half way on and that didnt seem right but I didnt want to force it either. I am guessing this is what I did wrong before:busted: