Two days in Death Valley - part 2

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by MorrisBetter, Mar 13, 2014.

1. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    Next stop was Balarat. This is crazy Charlie Manson's Power Wagon. His desert hideaway is just east of here in Goler Wash:
    IMG_2584.jpg

Fuel was becoming an issue, so we headed back north. We bumped into these guys along the road;
    IMG_2615.jpg

Life is tough out there. This terrazzo is the "soil" in that area;
    IMG_2616.jpg

The last stop for the day was the town of "Skidoo" as in the early 20th century saying, "23 Skidoo" meaning "leave", or "get out of here". That was supposed to be the town's name, but the post office balked at the number in the name of the town, so the 23 was dropped. With the exception of broken glass and a few chunks of metal there is no sign that any town ever existed here. This was Main Street at one time:
    IMG_2620.jpg

Tomorrow, day two; The Butte Valley...
    benwiggin2 and ray_ray like this.
  2. richard kersten Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250s vulcan 900 yamaha stryker
    Would love to have that power wagon restored , thanks for sharing .
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I was at the CM Goler wash hangout when there were still food stuffs in the cupboards. It was really cool. I heard awhile back that the place was burned down.
    Great pictures makes me think about going back. If I was only 500 miles away it would be more likely that it would happen. :cheers:
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Rough out there for sure ... Those donkeys might just be your ticket home some day :)

I just saw a charlie interview and he says he wants out now ... Not on parole, just let go ...