TXC 449 test in Dirt Rider

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by HomeFinance, Apr 22, 2011.

1. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Was at the store last night and noticed the new issue of Dirt Rider had a test of the TXC 449.
    The bike had the TE muffler. One rider said that it felt heavy in turns and pushed another said it felt light and nimble. They said it only felt stable when on the gas. A very confusing and contradictory article. Certainly not what you guys that have them have been experiencing.
  2. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Just what you should expect from Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike Mag. It was purposely vague so as not to insult their masters. The agenda is self serving with the mighty Jimmy Lewis, he probably thought it is terrific but in order to play the game he must avoid any praise. As for the 2 testers, who cares what they think it's not a scholarship program. Unfortunately is has a negative affect on a great motorcycle with the masses who don't have access to committed reviews. I have spent a great deal of time on them and txc449's are an engineering marvel. They don't push cornering and the traction is always there in spades. You'll notice they needed more time, interpret for what it is and that is time to hustle back to Kawasaki's office for redemption.
    Also someone should write Tom Webb and let him know that the Europeans are kicking butt on his patrons, with 2-strokes no less. Were i the Gas Gas importer or Husky or TM i'd be for an education program for the Scribes. The 449 Husky shines in the world enduro series but old Jimmy just can't quite figger out why it isn't just like a Honda. Duh..............[IMG] Oh wait [ it's very Euro }[IMG]
    WHITEROCKET5.9 likes this.
  3. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

its just like the truck mags, they each have their brand that you can put money on will be in the top 1 or 2 spot every year no matter what. definatly sucks though that all you see in the magazines (at least where im at) are the usual jap bikes.....
  4. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    yep and it has been this way in the states as long as I can remember ... the only way to educate the young is advertising \ racing on the big stage in the states ... sx \ mx racing ... success in EU in the MX2 racing and next it will land here in the states maybe ... bmw seems committed to these bikes and dirt bike racing ...
  6. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

" ... bmw seems committed to these bikes and dirt bike racing ..."

lets hopes so!!!
  7. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I really enjoy my time with my new motorcycle magazines. Dirt Rider really is dropping the ball on this though. It wasn't any where near a thorough test. I thought it offered almost zero meaningful information by which to evaluate the bike. I'd rather they keep the bike for another month or two and do something a little more thorough.

As is typical, there is much more information on the forums with which to evaluate these bikes [both good and bad/reliable and unreliable].
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep. 700 miles on my TE511. Fantastic do it all bike. EVERYONE who has tossed a leg over was in LOVE. Most of them are instantly faster on the 511 than their own bike. The bike is SUPER accommodating and one of those bikes you can instantly get in a flow on and rail. The planted feeling, the sweet motor with perfect EFI, the smooth suspension, the butter transmission, smooth clutch, no engine braking. All add up to a rewarding and fun to rip on bike. Every loose nasty hill become fun and EZ. The bike just tracks straight and moves forward. Big loose rocks long nasty hill, we all started together and I motored up like it was paved and gapped everyone by a loooog ways, EZ. Several friends now asking about prices. Just did a 60 mile ride in tight woods with 2 KTM250 2st's that were setup and revalved and we traded off and the 511 smoked them. KTM owners were in shock.

"i rode Kelly's 511 today at hood river, varied connditions of trails, slick, rocky, hills ruts etc..... the bike is way better than even he can explain, the engine is magical and the suspension is just about as good as you can get. If i was purchasing a ds the 511 would be it hands down. It's that good. "

One of them is looking into a TXC449 now. The bike is the goods and a big step forward in build quality and performance. Period.
    Coffee likes this.
  9. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im a big husky fan and have owned a couple of them, last one was a 09 txc450 it was a good bike but very heavy. The new bikes are interesting but at 279 pounds with a full tank of gas I will take my business elsewhere. Husky needs to put the new 4 strokes on a serious diet and the 2 strokes need a diet and updating. Husky is on the right track with the 250/310 platform.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ridden back to back with new KTM 450/530 that 511 feels 35 pounds lighter. KTM450 owner said this after riding mine.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    125/150 has been updated, sharing the same basic frame as the 250/310 4T bikes
  12. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats right. Im 6'6'' 250 (I need a diet also) so I guess I never even think about the little 2-strokes. The 125/150 2-strokes are sweet but I still dont understand why Husky insists on mounting the fuel tank so high when It could easily be lowered, I guess for quick spark plug removal. Looks like they got the fuel low on the 449/510, might be why Kelly says it feels lighter than it is.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You'll find out all 4t machines made today are heavy as compared to 2ts ... Apparently, they all have to be heavy as they are all heavy ...

I rode my 08 TXC250 yesterday with my gf on back ... our height was not a concern together but we did weight about 250 lbs together ... The bike pulled us OK up and down some hills (1st - 2nd gears) but any 450 would be the much better I'm sure ...

Maybe a lower tank would help all the previous yrs bikes but I don't see it ... Myself, I could never top out the qualities of these bikes on a trail or track ... I've never saw any anyone say these bikes are top heavy ... Many many racers around the world are using these bikes and winning ...

And yep, any mechanical device can be made better ... 012 machines will be better and the beat goes on ...
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    it aint about low its about center of mass. the motorcycle is just like an airplane it operates in 3 axis roll pitch yaw,,,get all the mass at center and all three will pivot around that center easily or more easily, the 449/511 are going after that as are all the other brands in one way or another.
  15. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The new Husabergs are pigs on a scale yet they feel incredibly light when riding them. I think that the TE449 is very similar in feel to a new Berg.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I agree but find the 449/511 feels less top heavy than the Berg.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Jimmy Lewis rode a FE390 at Romaniacs last year and regretted it.... all that dynamic lightness went away when he had to push, pull and lift it in the "static" mode. I hope to get a ride on a 449 sometime. Husky needs to come up with a serious demo program at big events. If what you guys are saying is true.... a ride on a real loop will sell a lot of these bikes.
    robertaccio likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Exactly.

Everyone who has ridden mine loved it and two guys are trying to get one now because of a short stint on mine.

And your right, if you spend a lot of time standing still and lifting the bike around it is heavy. If most your riding is walking speeds or higher the bike feels like a 250F. Fantastic machine.
  19. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Yea (sarcasim) for the DR subscribers. Just today got the June '11 DR mag. in the mail box. It is not the same issue I saw the other day at the news stand. That one was in a sleeve with a mention of the TXC 449 review on the cover. This one has no sleeve or mention? That one has some DS shootout between a BMW, a KLR and a couple others. I don't see that here?