TXC449 died, started, died, started...

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by sailah, Jul 23, 2012.

1. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    FZ1 dirtbike, ninja 650 dirtbike etc
    Went out for some singletrack yesterday with some buddies.

Bike ran flawless for a few hours. It was 90+ and humid. Bike has powerup from dealer and JD Jetting tuner, everything else is stock. Prob 25 hours maybe less on the bike.

Bike died going up a simple hill. It would refire immediately, but then die as soon as I gave it gas. I could limp it along 20 feet at a time, but that was getting old. I went through the starting/dying thing a dozen times.

Pushed it into a car wash. Figured it was hot so I soaked it for 5 minutes. Bike refired and I rode it around the lot a few laps, ran perfect.

Rode the fast way home (5 miles?), bike was all there. About 300 yards from the truck, it did it again. And I was moving at 20-30 when it happened with plenty of air moving. Coasted tot he truck and there she is.

I have not done any testing but have done lots of reading. I plan to test tomorrow but hopefully with a sensible list to methodically work down. I read about waterproofing connectors. Also read about the fuel pump not seated right up to the fuel pump being smoked.

It appears that the CA cycleworks pump does not fit my bike?

My dealer isn't especially convenient plus I think it's out of warranty anyways being as I bought it in Dec 11.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions, I'm all ears
  2. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Talked to a friend that has a husaberg with identical problems. I guess ktm redesigned the pump and it now has a brown top and has fixed the problem. I guess I'll remove the pump and compare it to his and see about getting a replacement from ktm to see if that fixes it.
  3. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    I heard about the brown top pumps. Keep us informed.
  4. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike is at the dealer, we'll see what they say. Course it fired right up in his lot...lol
  5. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Figured I would update this.

Dealer found no issues. Picked it up the next day and it died two hours into the ride of slow woods riding. Got it going again and got onto a dirt road. Held it pinned in third gear and it would die, refire instantly at speed like riding a bucking bronco.

Continued to ride and got stopped at bottom of huge hill climb with no way out but up. Crap.

opened the rad cap and it was low. Like really low. I cracked the drain at the pump and brown water came out. My buddy rode back to the car and got some water. It took 18 ozs.

I drained that when I got home and refilled with engine ice. Dealer said there is a sensor that will kill the engine if temps get too hot. Makes sense now. My buddy has the same bike and this weekend his died. His rad was bone dry

Rode it twice now with no issues so I think that was it. Any one have a catch can they like for these bikes?
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    The older big block bikes do not have a sensor for running dry of coolant, I know this for a fact, so does Scott Summers.....

If there is some way to make a catch can higher than the rad cap, like my Kaw Versys is, that would be ideal, my Husky's catch can which is down near the rear shock, is great for catching the overflow, but it never really returns back into the system.
  7. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine is a 2011, does that matter? I'm going on what my dealer told me and he was talking with some national Husky Tech in CA who explained, and I'm paraphrasing here, that there is a sensor that sends the motor into a limp mode when the block gets to a certain temp. Perhaps it was the coolant temp sensor? I just checked on the service manual and there is no block temp sensor?

I have no idea, all I know is that the bike runs again!! :banana:
  8. jimmyc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 TXC449, 09 SM610, WR250, plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    18YZ250X GS1200 busa duc900SS GG
    Now I'm having a similar problem. While warmimg up ( ie. putting helmet on ) my starts to sprew out coolant and wont RE-start then.

Put coolant in and sprews right back out again.

Worst part is Sailah and I ride together, WTF!
    Tinken likes this.
  9. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well that didn't fix it happened again today. Checked the rad totally full. Feels like an electrical problem. I only have maybe 25 hours on the bike

Called husky and they are working with the dealer to see if they can find the problem
  10. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Brought it back to the dealer. They had never witnessed the problem, only me and my buddies.

They finally got it to do it. They checked the internals of the cooling system like the impeller and tstat, all fine. When they got the bike to go into limp mode and had it hooked to the computer they were getting a bad temp sensor code. replaced the sensor, ran it back up to temp and runs fine. Husky confirmed that there have been a few issue with bad sensors but all seems well.

The dealer wants to ride it a couple more times to give the computer a chance to get friendly with the new sensor and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm sorta glad they designed the engine to go into limp mode (even though it was REALLY ANNOYING) because if it hadn't I might have blown the motor.

Dealer really pulled through for me as I have a camping moto trip this weekend and really wanted my bike to ride. I'll update if anything goes wrong
    ray_ray and oregonsage like this.
  11. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
  12. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Londin I saw that my dealer checked that and I think replaced it.

Well I've been abandoned by husqvarna on this. I picked it up from the dealer last week with assurances it was fixed. I explained if the bike stranded me again it would be the last time.

One hour into a weekend ride at rock run in pa it died.

I rode a kdx220 the rest of the day.

Went to just cruise around the atv park yesterday figuring I could get an hour in, died in two minutes.

Pissed off does not describe my mood.

I called the husqvarna corporate customer service a couple weeks about this issue that the dealer is unable to fix. I spoke to wyatt today, I guess he's the factory mechanic or something from husqvarna who was sympathetic to my cause but said the bike needs to go back to the dealer.

I explained I'm sick of them guessing at the problem and charging me to fix it.

Yes the bike is out of warranty at this point but has almost no time. Won't run long enough to rack up any hours. Guessing maybe 20-30 tops? Certainly not what you expect from a new bike.

Oh and a bunch of those hours are from the dealer.

Anyways, I'll never trust this bike again. I'm sick of ruined weekends which I pay dearly for. I'm sick of hauling it back and forth to the dealer. I'm sick of hearing from the dealer that they have conferenced in the factory and no one can figure it out. I can't sell it, it's a parts bike.

Husqvarna told me today that in no way would they swap out the bike for another. My options are simple, keep bringing it back to be their guinea pig.
  13. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Could you bring it to another dealer as it seems that the one is useless! Also if its outside warranty you can get who-ever to look at it! I have 3 Husky dealer in a close radius an they all suck! So I get mine serviced at a garage where a former rack mec for Yamaha works. He seem to analyse things in a different way and always seem to get stuff working!

In regards to your warranty, did this issue start inside the warranty period and had the dealer looked at it then ?

If I was you I would see if you could re-create the problem with using a heat gun or something on the electrical components or when it's running wiggle all the cables an connections.

I'm an engineer and work with machinery where customers easy loose 10k an hour if the machine is not working 100% so I know how difficult a problem can be to find if its not giving error code alarms or is not there when we run the machine. All I'm saying is that not all problem can be sorted strength away!

Good luck with whatever you going to do with your Husky!
  14. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    One more thing, have you tried to run it without the JD Tuner on it?? I know it will not run super but as that's an add-on it could be something hindering the ECU to give alarms so the husky dealer can't see it!
  15. Tepco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 SM510R
    Other Motorcycles:
    NT650, XR100, CR85SM
    Sailah, stick a temp sensor on the cylinder there cheap and easy to use. How does your oil look. Reading your earlier posts about loosing water, it has to go somewhere so I'm thinking blown gasket somewhere causing it to over heat or send it into limp mode due to low coolant. ??
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Replace your coolant with XS. There is no water in it like EngineIce. Your radiator will never release coolant ever again and it is lifetime, meaning, you never have to change it for the lifetime of the motorcycle.
    http://www.ziptyracing.com/xs-coolant/
  17. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    When my TE511 was brand new, I got it to shut down from a over heating issue. I have since erraticated the issue and have ridden in 106+ degree weather, no problem.
    I have a few questions:
    How many miles did you have on your motorcycle when the problem first started?
    Does the EngineIce coolant still come out of the overflow? (Mine did when I ran EngineIce)
    Do you have after market braces on the radiators? Does your fan run while riding? Did you remove your coil ground wire and move it to the frame or battery ground? Are you running the stock plug? Stock exhaust? Which grade of oil do you use and how full is your crankcase? And importantly, what color is the plastic on your radiator sensor?

Also, there is a capacitor towards the rear of the engine. These get very hot and can also cause problems. There is enough room to unbolt, flip upside down and re-bolt.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/449-511-ignition-ground.28115/#post-253122
  18. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    Same Problem, " Dealer Response, Can not duplicate", After a few gopro recordings solution turned out to be Fuel pump or Main Wire Harnes. I was not told specifically which part really fixed the problem.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    On the 2011, the main wiring harness is not waterproof, the 2012 is. Also, there is an error in the harness loop between the ignition, the ecu and the instruments.
    Desertyucca likes this.
  20. sailah Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bike failed again after dealer had it and I had enough. Husky and my dealer worked out a very fair deal for a 2012 txc511. I'm sorry I don't know what was wrong with the bike but hopefully I'll find out and report back. It was a very frustrating problem and I'm glad it's hopefully behind me but I wish I knew the answer so I could help others out. My guess is fuel pump or electrical too but just a guess