1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Unimpressed with Hyde Skid Plate

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Eaglefreek, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I ordered a Hyde skid plate and I like the look of it and seems to fit the frame pretty good. However, the mounting hardware needs to be redesigned. The screws sent are too short to fit the front bracket. Even if they were longer, the bracket with bolts slightly protruding are way too close to the engine cases in my opinion. It may be possible for a good hit to cause some damage. I'll have to whip out the welder tomorrow and modify it so I'm more comfortable with the clearance between the bracket and cases. Also, I had to open up the drain plug hole to fit the proper size socket through it. Do they actually try to mount these things before they send finished products out to the public?
  2. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

They have about the same quality control as Husky. Slap it together and send it out the door. I've bought a few of these as well. All of them had to be modified to bolt up properly.
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Hyde is a perfect fit on my 630. It doesn´t have a hole for the oil plug (s) but I take it off anyway to change the oil. Removal only takes a few minutes.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Same here. I had to tweak the rear bracket a bit in the vise and notch it to clear the shift lever though, since I've got it at the lowest position.

Also, the Hyde isn't meant to be a bash plate, it is meant to keep flying debris off the motor and keep the cases from getting scarred up in a drop, which I can attest it does beautifully.
  5. 080 Guest

Not impressed with Hyde here. Bought the skid plate for my 11', fitment and coverage is terrable and like mentioned above the mounting hardware had to be modified. Honestly I should have just sent it back but I needed the protection asap at the time. Probably toss it in the future and get something a little better quality.
  6. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    agree here !!! i had to trim the right front area to clear the pipe mount bracket as well as the other issues you mentioned ! i ordered a P-3 from pirie 2 months ago and haven't gotten that yet !!! several attempts to call and e-mail them have been ignored !!! anyone in this business reliable?
  7. Maniecki Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM
    I was checking that hyde plate but decided to get aluminium Enduro Engineering one and happy with it. Superb easy installation. Now i can hear how many rocks were hitting my engine before!!!
  8. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I also decided to go with the aluminum one but I found one at motosportz for almost 20 bucks less than enduro eng and it has taken a pounding and is still going strong.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Gah... I had the aluminum one but bent the crap out of it so bad it would rattle like crazy very couple rides. So got the Hyde one and was scratching my head onhow to mount the dang thing. Good to know I am not along. Also... I gotta remove it to change the dang oil cus the bottom hole doesn't match whe the oil drain bolt it.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Search this forum. Many posts about P3. Consensis is great company / products but really bad communication and time frames. If you want the best (P3) oreder one and wait 1-3 months,. It will come but takes a long time.

also might want to call Bills, they had several in stock last time I was in there.
  11. Flyin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    I have the Hyde on my '09. Only mounting issue was the rear mounts.
    They sent me new ones, another front mount, now it mounts fine.
    It is a bit of a PITA to get all four screws started, other than that it's fine.
    Welding some tabs on the frame would make it perfect.
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´ll second that!
  13. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I love Hyde plates.......they are all I will use. Have one on my Berg, two Huskies, YZ250 and CR500AF. When I buy one, I expect to; screw with the mounts (wish they were better) and take a hole saw to either enlarge, or relocate the drain hole. I also expect they will perfectly form fit around the frame and engine to have maximum protection, with minimal obtrusion. I also expect they are near indestructible, never bending, tweaking, coming loose or rattling. Once installed. I never remove them unless I am doing some kind of major repair. Well worth the headache to install.
    TROFFER88 likes this.