Waiting for the April Moab crew to check in.

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by wallybean, Apr 19, 2012.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

Man you guys hit the weather jack pot in Moab this week. Now we just want to see vids and reports about all the fun!
  2. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Match and Mike left yesterday for Moab...This working for a living sucks..wish I was retired
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Teaser of today

[IMG]
    wallybean likes this.
  4. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Working on just dumping the footage off my camera onto my laptop so i have a fresh card for tomorrow. I have a really slow laptop.

Today was freaking awesome. We rode slickrock, and then cliffhanger. Slickrock was super, super, super, super fun... That's where the above pic was taken. Nothing super technical, but amazing the traction there is around this place.... Makes you feel like a pro hill climber!

Then we loaded up, had lunch, and went to cliffhanger. Also super fun, and also amazing to watch some of the rock crawlers in action. We went clear out cliffhanger, took a nice little break, and enjoyed the views. On the way back, there was a super gnarly spot, where our buddy Scott ended up taking a spill, and screwing up his knee pretty bad. We still don't know the extent of it, but he is in the ER now getting it checked out.... Not looking good :thumbsdown:

On a more positive note, I'm very much looking forward to what the next few days have in store for us, as well as hoping Scott gets a chance to join us on the trail again this trip...
  5. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just picked him up from the hospital.... Nothing broke, most likely ligaments torn, but he is a sore sun-bitch... He says he will take tomorrow off, and probably ride after that. One of the most dedicated dudes I know. My helmet cam ran out of battery about 30 seconds before his get-off...
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250

Sucks but good to hear he is OK ...
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Hope he is able to continue, swelling will be a real issue. Riding with only one leg in some of those areas would be a nightmare for a hack like me. Keep having fun and be safe.
  8. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I called and talked to Scott a bit, he said the swelling is not too bad but the mobility is not good. He is doing the ICE routine today and hopes to ride tomorrow.

Later,
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I couldn't take the suspense and called Kelly for a post riding report. A great time was had by all and Scott was able to ride the last couple of days. Pretty sore but he is better on one leg than I am on two. I am sure there will be some ride reports to follow but I can tell you that the report was the 165's were ripping dependable fun. I am green with envy and can barely contain my need to ride in Moab this year. For anyone thinking of going, I will probably try to organize a late October early November ride there. Maybe it would be a great destination for a western states Husky gathering?!
    McKay likes this.
  10. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I went in feb and I am not a real trail rider and loved it. I was pushed everyday way out of my comfort zone and I think made me a better rider and earned a real respect for this type of riding and will do it again. Going to try local hare scramble in 3 weeks. Had my tc250 and cr144 and rode cr 80% of the time it just felt lighter and more fun in the tight stuff but at the Moab track I rode tc250 100% time. They have very big track right in town that is alot of fun. Moab is a great town and cheap to stay at.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep, you gotta push out into harder \ more difficult riding to some degree to ever improve your riding skills ... Not that we all can turn into world class riders by following this formula but our skills can be advanced ...

Doing several days in a row of hard riding, over this type of terrain, you do get a small idea of what it takes to run the world class bike races ... It's very hard on you and the bike ...
  12. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It can be hard on bikes and the body at Moab, out of are group of 8 two got hurt a little. We had one bike give us trouble due to a crash. Make sure to take extra sprk plug and extra levers and perch for bike as they are needed. I found hells revenge and poison spider not the front half but back half of poison spider called something else to be the most challenging and behind the rock was fun. The guys I rode with would search for the trail heads that had the quads and trucks stroked off, that the trails they liked (hiking-moutain bike trails) and me being the new guy would just follow and hope for the best we did not even do slickrock trail they said it was to easy. I can laugh with them about it now but there was alot of holy-shit moments the first couple days until I firgured out what my bike and myself could do and it was alot more than I thought. After one week I was physically and mentally done but happy at what I saw and overcame. It is like riding on the moon in that some of the stuff we went up would not possible if not for great traction of the slickrock
  13. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    DOH :eek:

You Missed out Ok, not completely, but the slick-rock area was so bad-ass!!! Yes, it was by far the easiest riding we did, but it was so much fun! It really flowed, and had some great views!
    wallybean likes this.
  14. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree with you Blake I wanted to do slick-rock but everyday I was out voted I would have loved it. I liked the flowing slickrock parts the best where can ride anywhere you want and pick your own lines still very hard.
  15. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    DON'T DO IT

[IMG]

While we were gone, work got out of control (in a good way), and that is going to consume my next few months, but hopefully in the next few days, I will have some time to go thru the vids I took (about 100 miles worth), and edit some clips together.... My plan was to do that on the way home, but I was either, driving, sleeping, or laughing the entire way.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    A few more of the husky upon return to it's home in my garage.... Looking a little rough, but still running like a top! I did check the axle nuts while we were there, and this one must of come loose the last day.
    [IMG]

Think I was running a bit rich? Bike still pulled hard, and never fouled a plug...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And in all the gnarly-ness, I only managed to ding the pipe a little in one spot... Not to shabby! Kelly, lets see a pic of yours
    [IMG]
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Was your rear tire new when you started? Looks pretty toasted in this pic ....
    [IMG]
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We rode 200 miles for the 4 days and it toasted all our tires. That stuff is like riding on sand paper.
  19. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haha, yep, it was pretty much brand new.... I had one snow ride on it. The IRB M5B is a gnarly tire when new... If I had one piece of advice for a visitor to Moab, put on a used rear tire, and bring a spare used tire. No reason to burn over $20 of new tire per day out there!!!
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many