Wales in summer

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by chamber66, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chamber66 Guest

2. crancky1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

great report,
    always interested in ride reports from other parts of the globe,
    how are bikes regarded in Wales / UK ?,
    do you have the hoon / mug issue ?
    are there areas set aside for you? ie can you ride in national reserves / parks?
    do you have to travel far to get to a good riding ?
  3. chamber66 Guest

Don't know what a hoon/mug issue is?
    It's getting very difficult over here to ride these days. Apparently the countryside is only for walkers and horse riders. We have acres of forestry where no one ventures, but it is still illegal.
    I can see offroad bikes being outlawed pretty soon other than competition use:thumbsdown:
    Makes we want to emigate to the States or France
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hmm, maybe we need to start or own country? Alas, the horses and walkers want it all for them selves here, too.

Good stuff. I also enjoy seeing what riding is like in other parts of the world.

I'll give you this, nobody can call you guys "fare weather riders", that's for sure.:thumbsup:

We don't even go outside in those conditions. :lol:
  5. chamber66 Guest

Nothing beets a bit of mud. Keep thinking dry and dusty is the way to go. But when it gets muddy it's the best :thumbsup:
  6. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

I tried avoiding bad weather here in the UK when I first started riding the dirt, but then I realised that only going out riding for two days each year is no way to improve your technique. :ride:

But seriously(!), we've been complaining in my area lately about how dry the trails are even after we've had what seems like a lot of rain; I miss all that splashing and sliding around, roosting your mates, and spending three hours cleaning up afterwards! But we're starting to see some more mud appearing now so with summer fast disappearing it won't be long... :applause:
  7. chamber66 Guest

If you fancy some mud just pop down there's plenty we can show you. We also have some hills, you could try them as well :D
  8. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

That's very kind but we'll have plenty of our own mud soon enough once winter sets in. And sorry, but what's a "hill"? :confused:

Actually I have done some riding in Wales and it was fabulous even though it rained about half of the days (lots more loverly mud to lark about in!). Not to mention all those sheep to play with... :D

In fact I know some of the hills rather well from paragliding there, but sadly that involves walking up them with a 30kg rucksack so not as much fun when it's raining or blowing a gale (which it did about half those days too!). :cry:

Still, well worth it even just to enjoy the wonderful scenery. :thumbsup:
  9. chamber66 Guest

Hill in English terms is vast mountain range:D
  10. petem Husqvarna
    A Class

True enough! I live on top of an English hill and I'm only about 90ft above sea level. :excuseme:

I know your part of the world a bit. Done several off road courses based at Ystradgynlais with Simon Pavey & co, and flown from the Brecon Beacons and places South such as Nant-y-moel, Merthyr & The Blorenge (as well as up North in Snowdonia). My car can find it's own way along the Heads of the Valleys road by now. It does make you appreciate how big the terrain is when you're trying to find somewhere to land a paraglider in a steep-sided narrow valley full of power lines! :eek:
  11. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    jeez, i couldnt go back to that (scottish winters are horrid !) .. glad i moved to OZ, ride everyweekend only wearing 661 pressure suit and a helmet !.... 15-30deg every day winter or summer...

i spent my life riding in that boggy freezing weather on big bore quads in ayrshire moors and forestry and loved it yet find it shuddering now to think of thehuge mud holes in the cold.. top job fella's.. i know how it feels !..:)