1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WB 165 Kick starter ?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by GARACERX, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GARACERX Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WB 165, 11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, gasgas, ktm
    I read somewhere that there may be a longer kick starter for a 125 which could make starting my
    165 easier? I hesitate to modify (cut and extend) my stocker, If it failed it would ruin my day!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I was going to make one but several factors made me rethink doing it.
  3. GARACERX Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WB 165, 11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, gasgas, ktm
    I volunteer to test the prototype...free!!:D
  4. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    I used to cuss the stubby kicker, but after installing a Lectron the bike fires right up even when hot.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I tried an elongated kicker, and it didn't work out.

I sectioned a stock kicker vertically along the shaft for about three inches, removing the top. I did the same to a KX250 kicker shaft, removing the bottom. I filed the bejeebers out of both shafts to get them to mate with a minimum of gap. I took it to a guy with a TIG welder, who put them together. The end result was about three inches longer than the stocker. It came right up to the bottom of the tank.

It lasted 10 kicks, and it didn't even start the bike once!

Reasons for the disappointment? The weld job didn't really penetrate aluminum shafts very far. The broken section looked more like a solder than a weld. Second, the longer kicker wouldn't spin the motor fast enough to catch. My 165, a 2012 WR with a RB Designs modded TMXX carb, takes a FAST slap of a kick to get it to start. The long kicker wouldn't spin the motor fast enough.

My 165 has never been a very good starter, but my technique makes it start well enough.

1. Prop the bike against a tree
    2. Stand on left peg
    3. Put heel on kicker pedal
    4. Kick hard, fast and rapidly 2 to 5 times

If starting a hare scramble, I bring a step stool for my left foot to stand on. 2 to 5 kicks and if I'm lucky, I'm not the last guy to the first corner.

If I don't have a tree or a foot stool, I fold out the kicker, raise my foot up, and SLAP the kicker with my heel. I literally start the kick motion several inches above/forward of the kicker pedal, landing my heel as square as possible on the pedal, and kicking down so the ball of my foot land on the peg.

My 165 almost never starts with just one kick. It's usually between 2 and 5, no matter if cold or hot. One of these days, I'll try a Lectron and see if it starts easier. I have used this 165 top end with a 38mm PWK on my previous 2008 CR 125, and it wasn't any easier to start. Reading into all the reviews of the 165, I have the feeling my case is somewhat isolated. I wonder whether it's just a lackluster leg, my amateur jetting (in)ability, or something else. Once running, my 165 runs superb, no stalling, with awesome power. But I do wish it were easier for me to start.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is don't bother with a longer kicker!
    sabortooth likes this.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

One thing I have found that helps is to slow kick it through twice. Just fast enough to cause a couple of slow pulses through the carb. Now one solid fast stab and it is running first kick. This is my cold start method. When warm with the Lectron it is one simple quick kick everytime. I used to use the cold start method with my RB mikuni for all starting, and it was one or at most 2 kicks. I don't know, try it but if there is one thing I know about the Husky tiddlers is that no two are exactly the same.
  7. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    cold start similar to Walt's, and I learned this from Kelly:

Check float bowl to make sure it's full of fuel (Love the lectron), or lean it if you don't have a lectron until it starts pissing.
    Click it into second, get on it, and roll it forward and back a few times to get the fuel flowing, and one sharp kick and she's usually buzzing!
    454x and jmetteer like this.
  8. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    don't really see the need for a longer kick starter.

in 125 trim you could start it with your hand.
    in 165 set up I can't do that anymore but with the leg is still a piece of cake comparing with other bike I had in the past.

Robert-Jan
  9. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine will start in second gear with clutch in. Great for dead engine race starts. Lectron works great but bike always did start great as 165.
  10. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the 167 is no picnic either.... will try Walt's method...
  11. GARACERX Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WB 165, 11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, gasgas, ktm
    Yes..if I stand up high its ok, if I stall while riding, everyone is long gone before I start it. jetting seems perfect while running.
    It starts best hot with about 1/2 throttle. If i dont really stab it hard and fast , it only spins once and wont start. Wondering if lectron will improve starting, I do race HS and always get good starts with my other bikes..this one is so wonderful but still dont want to start from the back...
    I only have about 5 hrs on the 165 kit, maybe it will improve with time?
    off topic; what is spec on float level (and how to measure) stock carb float level ? Its diffrent than most..
  12. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

Speaking on starting,my wb165 lites up one kick when hot and the only thing is I only need my choke on my Lectron for a second when cold but my choke knob wont stay up on it,s own.pops down each time,does anyone else have this problem?
  13. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

Speaking on starting,my wb165 lites up one kick when hot and the only thing is I only need my choke on my Lectron for a second when cold but my choke knob wont stay up on it,s own.pops down each time,does anyone else have this problem?